"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:02 pm
There was a bit of discussion of this at work today. The verdict was that people generally liked it, with one big proviso. "B" stated it most concisely with "It was a lot mushier than I remember the books being". The verdict was about evenly split on whether people would see it again. A couple said they'd rather read the books again.

Good thing there are differing opinions on this.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 08:17 pm
Not too long after the books were released there was commentary about the homoerotic content and I suppose if Tolkien intended his almost all male cast of characters to have any more than plutonic attachments he could have included some sex scenes and just let it all hang out. There are differing opinions about anything in this world but it's a shame to let some nit-picking spoil someone's enjoyment of the film. It makes me ask, just exactly what do you enjoy. I'm almost afraid to ask that question.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm
Lightwizard - I'm entitled to a different opinion. You thought it was a masterpiece - good for you. That doesn't make me stoic or a nitpicker that's going to ruin someone's enjoyment. I honestly don't think he did a good job with the third installment.

It doesn't make anyone's opinion better than another. Just different. Unless you have a personal investment in the film you're not justified in slamming me for it.

Lightwizard wrote:
It makes me ask, just exactly what do you enjoy. I'm almost afraid to ask that question.

In the end it's just a film. Save the personal attacks. Either that or change the title of you post to "Only reply if you think it's a masterpiece".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:30 am
Where did I specifically name you in any commentary? You're volunteering unnecessarily -- I was addressing those who decide they hate the films and are mean spirited enough to make one-line comments for no other purpose than to blow off their negativity online. I didn't read that into your post -- you made some honest criticisms and you certainly have a right to express them. I disagree with you on the points you made. I also have the right to disagree.

Your sensitivity towards my criticism of any opinions is appreciated but your perception that there is any personal attack is unfortunate.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 10:32 am
Yes, a film is only a film, and a painting is only a painting, and a novel is only a novel...a rose is only a rose.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 11:06 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I was addressing those who decide they hate the films and are mean spirited enough to make one-line comments for no other purpose than to blow off their negativity online.

What negativity? The response to this movie, and to the trilogy as a whole as been overwhelmingly positive on this tread. Any film draws different responses from different viewers and that in no way detracts from the film. I have seen critiques, but no mean spirited attempt to trash or dismiss this film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:10 pm
It's been done on other topics and in other forums. A2K is not an island. If someone wants to post their negative comments about a film and doesn't expect a rebuttal or anyone who disagrees about what they don't like about a film, I suggest they follow their own advice.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:39 pm
If you wish to address and rebut other topics then you should do so directly to those topics. If there negative, mean spirited, comments on this film on other forums then you should address them on those forums. Unanimity of viewpoint on any artistic creation is not to be expected nor IMHO particularly healthy. Innovative works should create discussion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
Well, Mrs. cav has been twice now, and she has read the books, and thinks Peter Jackson did a wonderful job with translating the material for film. We already have the extended DVDs of the first two installments, and will most likely end up with the third when it comes out.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 01:12 pm
In thinking over the film trilogy, it occurred to me that Jackson might have been wiser to end the third with the destruction of the ring and turned to coda into a fourth perhaps shorter (90 minutes?) film. The last half hour, I thought detracted from the third film as a whole and so apparently did the audience I saw it with. They kept clapping at what they thought was the ending and groaning when the film continued.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 01:25 pm
Thanks for the directive but I stand by what I said and will continue to do so. People should be careful what they volunteer for. If they state their opinion and don't wish it to be rebuttled, they should go elsewhere.

I didn't in the least think the quiet ending in any way detracted from the film -- did the entire audience groan in unison? I think not. This is speaking towards the popularity of the film which is prooving itself at the box office. Are these the same people who clap after a movement of a symphony in a concert? I thought Jackson was brave not to produce the typical action movie ending but produced a very good semblance of the feeling of the novel -- as good as anyone could possibly do.

I think Jackson got it complete right -- it is not just his best film but the best fantasy film ever made, perhaps even the best epic film ever made.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2003 02:41 pm
The New York Film Critics awarded LOTR the Best Picture of 2003.

Box office watch places LOTR domestically at 151M and climbing.

The film is on AFI's nominated list and named the Best Picture by the New York Times.

The Howard Shore score in a poll conducted by the BBC was named the best film score of all time.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:36 am
Just got home from seeing it. The effects were nothing short of spectacular. Long movie to sit through though!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
Acquiunk wrote:
In thinking over the film trilogy, it occurred to me that Jackson might have been wiser to end the third with the destruction of the ring and turned to coda into a fourth perhaps shorter (90 minutes?) film. The last half hour, I thought detracted from the third film as a whole and so apparently did the audience I saw it with. They kept clapping at what they thought was the ending and groaning when the film continued.

That must be an American thing. I have never heard an Australian audience applaud at a film.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 07:38 am
BTW, nobody made any show of moving out of their seats until the "The End" sign displayed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Same here, Wilso -- not until the final credits roll was there a spatter of applause. The length of the film is obvious when one buys their tickets and a trip to the restroom is certainly in order (I wouldn't recommend iced tea from the snack bar either).

I'm sure some people are dragged to the theater who don't especially care for fantasy and get a charge out of the battle scenes and that's it. I somehow feel these are the people who also don't read.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:42 am
(I guess I should go to an Orange Country multiplex and see the film again -- at the premiere opening of the Performing Arts Center, the audience applauded after each movement of Beethoven's Ninth!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 09:21 pm
Well, I finally saw it, and thought it was fantastic. We had an 'ending detractor' sitting behind us who just kept saying "this movie should have ended 20 minutes ago," etc. etc., but...the story had to be finished. However Peter Jackson may have sentimentalized the ending, he was true to the book. Also, given the entire trilogy, and the deep worldwide affection that has grown for the movie characters, I felt that some sentimentality was in order. If it had been too stoic, I think a lot of the new fans would walk away saying "That's it? That's the big goodbye after all they went through?" To me, it fit, and quite frankly, it didn't seem too long.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 09:51 am
There was an unadulterated sentimentality in Tolkien's book on the parting of the characters -- it's nearly impossible for there not to be. Each of us has a different emotional response and if someone manages to evoke an affection for fictional characters, it seems critcism is in order. How strange.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 04:19 pm
I enjoyed it a lot, but there were a few parts I didn't like: after about an hour battling for Minas Tirith (sp?), the dead army just sweeps in, in a long shot, and cleans everything up. I think it needed at least a few close & medium shots of the dead army fighting orcs.

Overall, although some elements were removed, changed and/or put in different order, I think Jackson did a fantastic job of preserving the feel and general plot of TLOTR.

I think ROTK will be a strong contender for Best Picture, plus it will have 'emotional' pull because the first two parts were not honored with Best Picture and this trilogy deserves at least one such award.

In the meantime, I'm trying to make my fortune by becoming Sauron's supplier for Visine.
0 Replies