Do all you atheists and agnostics celebrate christmas?

McTag

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 01:41 pm

Yes, I do.

Christmas has got nothing to do with Christ anyway, not really.

But that's what you say when you see your bank statement in January.
George

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 02:53 pm
@McTag,
Ha!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
@auroreII,
Despite the name, Christmas (at least in America) is something much broader than a celebration of the birth of Christ.

Very many aetheists, agnostics and people who believe in God but no particular religion (like myself) celebrate Christmas.

Many of the traditions of the Christmas celebration have pagan origins.

While having religious significance to many Christians, its a festival that can be enjoyed by all as time for family and good will. Who cares what it's called?

In my opinion, it's petty to protest the "Christ" in Christmas or the associated symbols of the Christ legend.

It's certainly antithetical to the spirit of the season.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:42 pm
Merry Christmas, Yule, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Isaac Newton's Birthday (Dec. 25, Old Style) and Eid, Finn,
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Merry Christmas, Yule, Solstice, Kwanzaa, Isaac Newton's Birthday (Dec. 25, Old Style) and Eid, Finn,

And to you
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 04:54 pm
We (my family) have a Christmas tree, stocking, breakfast and present exchange like everyone else. My whole family is together with adult siblings and niece and nephews. Occasionally my mother's brother might bring his family over. Often we see friends.

Seems a silly question.
0 Replies

skepticthought

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
Atheist checking in.

Yep, I love Christmas. Well, really, it's not so much Christmas it's the whole season.

I've grew up loving the cold air, the songs (religious or not), the gift giving, the solidarity, etc. Even when I was christian this is what Christmas really meant to me anyway.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 09:55 pm
@auroreII,
Christmas for me (atheist) is about being with my family - for better or for worse.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 10:02 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
On those Christmas's when I was with my grand-parents, my grandfather and I would walk up on the hill near our farm on xmas eve and cut a tree which we would bring home on my sled. that evening my grand-mother would make a big bowl of popcorn and a bowl of cranberries. My cousin and I would use a needle and thread to sting the popcorn and cranberries while my grandparents would drape a single string of lights and hang the dozen or so glass ornaments on the tree with the "angel" on the top. Then the strings of popcorn and cranberries would go on. Stockings would be hung which would later be filled with fresh oranges, nuts, a lump of coal and a silver dollar which would pretty much amount to our "gifts." On xmas day grandmother would make a nice dinner but nothing at all like thanksgiving. There was never any religious anything. On new years day it would all come down.
when I was at my parents home it was not much different other than having a few wrapped presents under the tree.
throughout my lifetime there as never been any religious thought re xmas.

You read that in a book somewhere! No one actually ever did all that stuff.

Wink
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 10:21 pm
@auroreII,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23n7O6cwJis

sun king - beatles - Kay can eat it carousel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice
0 Replies

sahaja yoda

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 10:25 pm
@MontereyJack,
lol you dont celebrate christmas.. you celebrate ignorance.. no offence.. not religious by the way
vinsan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 10:50 pm
@auroreII,
Yes. They do for the sake of CELEBRATION.

I dont think it means any harm. I am an atheist. I celebrate Diwali, Holi and Christmas. I also visit temples and churches in order to absorb the hopefullness / positive energy from the atmosphere.

Is that energy god? Could be.

But to me, I wont term it as God.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 11:28 pm
@sahaja yoda,
You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2010 11:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 03:44 am
@IRFRANK,
Oh, bullshit . . . people did stuff like that all the time.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 04:55 am
@auroreII,
My family celebrates the tradition of gathering and being together for Christmas. It's not a religious holiday to us, it's just a nice time to spend with friends and family.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 07:55 am
Yep, sure do. I'm an atheist, but
my wife is sorta Christian, so we celebrate both the atheist and the Christian festivals. bargain my way! in any case, I do admit to a degree of hypocrisy in all this.

So, you Christians, any of you using pagan decorated trees in your celebrations of the birth of Jesus?
Eva

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 09:55 am
@Eorl,
Yes, I do!

As many other posters have commented, Christmas is a secular holiday as well as a Christian holiday. I celebrate both, in the same way that others combine traditions.
George

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 10:03 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
. . . As many other posters have commented, Christmas is a secular holiday
as well as a Christian holiday. I celebrate both, in the same way that others
combine traditions.

Same here. The secular holiday has me running around shopping for gifts,
writing cards, decorating the house, and attending parties.

On the other hand, this is the Advent season -- a time for quiet reflection.
I also make time for that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2010 11:47 am
@auroreII,
I prefer Advent to Christmas. I used to really get into St. Nikolas Day.

Now, I appreciate all of the festivities. I love Diwali and Channukah, have a fun time with Christmas, and enjoy some of the great Eid treats. I'm hoping to attend a local winter solstice event in about 12 days. It's all about celebrating lightness and brightness and I like that.