oooh, I like the toucan!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:47 pm
Jerry R- It can't be more than 85 pixels wide
0 Replies

sozobe

Mikey, in case you missed it, I kept messin' with my original post -- I think I found the one you used to use.
0 Replies

littlek

doesn't the pixel size depend on the resolution?
0 Replies

mikey

too bad we can't go seal huntin this time of year, we could make a winters pay in an hour.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:49 pm
Correct Phoenix! You can upload it to a site if you want to but if it already exists out there somewhere you don't have to. You can use it where it is.

The only problem with doing that is that if the originating site owner takes that image down from their site it will disappear here too. If you upload it to your own site you can control that yourself.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:49 pm
Seal hunting? Nooooooooo! Don't you dare harm Seal Poet!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:51 pm
In terms of your own site, I made a Yahoo photo album, found Rosie somewhere, downloaded her, cropped her a bit, uploaded her to my Yahoo album, and have been able to fetch her as needed (a few times now.)
0 Replies

JerryR

I like that one soz!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

I saved a series of images for the purpose of avatar usage and storage.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:52 pm
thanks Sozobe and Phoenix, i'll have to figure it out, it was still on my profile but i'm at a loss from there.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:53 pm
If you are using an image you find on Google's image search I'd recommend you actually go to the real hosting site. Otherwise your avatar will be linked through the Google redirect to the other site so your more likely to have problems in the long run.

You should just be able to take out all of the "http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:GfQv716E2tEC" garbage and use the actual image URL.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

fishin'- Didn't Craven say that there might be problems with MSN sites? Isn't Raven's Realm (where I have a lot of my stuff) an MSN site?
0 Replies

littlek

SP, how about this?

http://sc.communities.msn.com/tn/38/51/littlekb/4/81.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Mikey, tell me which pic you want and I'll give you the url for it. Then all you do is cut and paste the url into the "link to offsite avatar" box on your profile page. Really not complicated, even if it sounds that way. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:54 pm
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
fishin'- Didn't Craven say that there might be problems with MSN sites? Isn't Raven's Realm (where I have a lot of my stuff) an MSN site?

I think it actually depends on the specific MSN site. Some work, others don't. Lil k's image is on her MSN site and seems to be working fine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:55 pm
Fishin, the shortcut with Google is that they have nice little thumbnails that are the right size. I didn't click on them all to see what size the originals are, but they're usually much bigger.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:57 pm
Uh, hi! That's big! What's the question? (Avatar?)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 09:59 pm
sozobe wrote:
Fishin, the shortcut with Google is that they have nice little thumbnails that are the right size. I didn't click on them all to see what size the originals are, but they're usually much bigger.

I'd let the site here take care of that. The size in pixels isn't a problem. No matter what the pixel size is they will be resized to the correct automatically if you use the link for your Avatar. (Craven just added the code for this tonight.)

The bigger problem is the size as far as the number of KB. Large file sizes (in KB) tends to slow the site here.
0 Replies