Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 12:15 am
Does anyone know what page/chapter/paragraph in Ernest Hemingway's book For Whom the Bell Tolls that the quote, "It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" is? I noticed in Keller's book Catch-22 that he also has this quote on page 247, and it would be helpful to know where Hemingway says it exactly. I have an essay comparing both novels and I can't seem to find it. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,978 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 01:13 am
@Subliminal0,
(Google search implies that Hemingway took the quote from Zapata).
Subliminal0

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:20 am
@fresco,
Google is deceitful. I searched trying to find the page and I found chapter overviews, but I'm not reading a million of them to find one quote.
Francis

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 11:43 am
@Subliminal0,
Cannot tell the page because it depends on the edition.

However, in "For whom the bells toll" you can find this in the chapter 27:

Hemingway wrote:
Joaquin tries another, "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees," but gets the same response.

Subliminal0

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 02:56 pm
@Francis,
Thank you! I found it on 309. I have the First Scribner trade paperback edition 2003; the quote in mine is '"There is another that applies to here," Joaqin said, bringing them out as though they were talismans, "Pasionaria says it is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."'
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:09 pm
Yes, Dolores Ibarruri, a Communist heroine known as La Pasionaria, is supposed to have said that.

However, Zapatta initiated the same discourse many years prior to her, as fresco noted..
Subliminal0

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:18 pm
@Francis,
Thank you for elaboritating, Francis. I just wanted the quote from the book; my essay isn't concerned with the original source, just how it is used to enhance Hemingway's views. Thanks!
0 Replies