Do we produce or percieve thoughts?

north

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 11:55 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

What is a thought?

to contemplate on information

Quote:
When you have a thought, is that thought something your mind produces, or is it something it "senses"?
How do you generally percieve it to be?

sometimes both

0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2011 05:49 am
@Cyracuz,
in order for you to identify a particular smell, you must have knowledge of what it is that you can smell. the nose, or any of the physical senses do not simply sense things on their own, there is always an accompanying thought process that interprets the sensory information.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:27 am
@existential potential,
Yes, and no.

Can we tell apart the experience of smelling a strawberry and the actual scent of strawberry? They are, as you say, always accompanied by eachother. Can it not be that the scent of strawberry (that would look like molecules when examined by another means) is the very same thing that happens in my brain when I come into contact with strawberries?

existential potential

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 11:53 am
@Cyracuz,
yes, we can make a distinction between the scent of strawberry, and the experience of the scent of strawberry. I can smell the scent of strawberry, and I can also be aware of myself having the experience of smelling the scent of strawberry.

by the next question I assume your asking whether we can directly percieve something, without any interpretive element. I don't think you just percieve something, without interpretation-there are always thoughts and memories that contribute to perception.
0 Replies

north

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 01:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Geeee...your narrow notion of "thought" or "language" is appalling !...probably you donĀ“t have a clue on what information refers to either...

Quote:
The problem with this kind of contends is that people usually think that facts should adapt to our concepts...instead of adapting our concepts to what is factual...

exactly

its one thing to develope an idea , thought idea , concept , its another to match this against the reality of the facts

I thought that we have relised this long ago

0 Replies