what is life & death ?

S6

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 05:28 am
millions die every day and millions take birth every day so if I die today would it matter to any one if I ever existed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 864 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
@S6,
Yes, attaining immortality can however be quite tricky.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 09:33 pm
@S6,
Have you heard of butterfly effect ? Whether they know it or not it would matter, and allot !....
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2010 10:49 pm
@S6,
S6 wrote:

millions die every day and millions take birth every day so if I die today would it matter to any one if I ever existed?

absolutely
0 Replies

sahaja yoda

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:06 pm
Life is a matter of a miracle that is collected over time by moments flabbergasted to be in each others presence
we are all one conciousness experiencing ourselves sujectivly, seperate from the whole, there is no such thing as death, only reincarnation, life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.. your body is only your vessel.. the purpose of life? to love and learn the ways of cosmic harmony

It might be true that there are six billion people in the world and counting. Nevertheless, what you do makes a difference. It makes a difference, first of all, in material terms. Makes a difference to other people and it sets an example. In short, I think the message here is that we should never simply write ourselves off and see ourselves as the victim of various forces
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 08:22 am
@S6,
S6 wrote:

Why would I care?
0 Replies

RonCdeWeijze

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 02:02 pm
@S6,
Bergson answers this question in terms of teleology which might be understood causally as well. We are means to an end, an end among many that are themselves means to a higher end. Nobody knows where it stops, but the way biology is organized, and higher structures, suggests that there are organisms encapsulating us, the way we encapsulate cells in our own bodies. And we are like cells to that higher existence, in Whose image we may have been created. So there is no death, only leaves taking leave, and returning to the tree one way or another.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2010 09:15 pm
@S6,
Here's a thought to consider:

You are alive now, and that means that the chain of generations is unbroken from you and all the way back to the origin of life. That's a pretty amazing thought.

And of all those generations; your father, his father, the one before and so on... Of all those generations you are the result. You are the culmination of all the lives in the line of generations that leads up to you. If you could put your question to any one of your anscestors, I think it's fairly obvious what their answer would be..
wayne

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2010 03:14 am
@Cyracuz,
That raised an interesting thought. Most fathers pass along some of their mind as well as their genes. How much of that original mind remains?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 06:01 pm
Let me repeat myself: as far as I can see, when I die I (the ego "I") ends, i.e., becomes NOTHING. But my True Self, what I really am (what we really are), and have always been, is EVERYTHING. I (and you) have always been everything, but upon death (or "enlightenment") the ego-illusion ends; that is what I see as life/death.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 01:18 am
@S6,
Following JLN's observation, the question of "matter to any one" dissolves with the negation of separate "ones". But we should notel that if we advocate "holistic consciousness" as some sort of eternal essence, we are still prone to anthropomorphism of that "whole" by endowing it with "purpose" as suggested by the phrase "matter to".
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 05:45 am
@fresco,
Well that's more like it...the middle ground !... Wink
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 05:55 am
@fresco,
Do you think it possible to endow it with progress , or evolution?
fresco

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2010 01:09 pm
@wayne,
No. Perhaps there couldbe a value neutral measure of "increasing complexity" but even "the Big Bang" has become debatable as some sort of reference point from which we might "measure".
0 Replies