Anne Hathaway and James Franco will host the 2011 Oscars

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:24 pm
Quote:
LOS ANGELES— Out with the old, in with the young: James Franco and Anne Hathaway will co-host the 83rd Academy Awards in February, an apparent bid to attract younger viewers to the telecast.

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/the-oscars-go-young/

So what do you think? Will this move make the ceremony more interesting to watch or is it basically the same old thing just done up slightly prettier?

Who would you like to see as the hosts for the Oscar ceremony?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,081 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
And I was hoping to give a ****...

Do you suppose that is just the establishment way of saying you are about to be a hasbeen wasbeen???
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:33 pm
@Fido,
Both Anne Hathaway and James Franco are in the running for their respective acting category nominations this year. Hasbeens?! These two?! You haven't been paying attention to their careers these past couple of years.
Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 09:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
No turd yet... I'll try harder
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
Anne Hathaway was Terry Gross' guest yesterday. Gross played several clips from Hathaway's movies. Just hearing what this young woman can do with her voice was amazing.

When you consider how dull so many talented and popular comedians have been hosting the Oscars, why not try a couple of actors? Two people might be more interesting than one.
Fido

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:04 pm
@plainoldme,
Does it look like she has had a nose reduction and breast augmentation???
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2010 10:12 pm
@plainoldme,
I heard that episode yesterday as well. She should try and do more musicals.

I'm eager at this host pairing. Could be similar to when Hugh Jackman hosted if either Anne or James could pull off a musical set for the ceremony.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2010 06:48 pm
The two young actors were chosen because they believed that most of the movies in contention are of the art house level and as in previous years, the bigger the blockbusters involved in the Best Picture pool, the larger the television audience for the ceremony.

Hathaway and Franco are being touted as a draw for the coveted younger audience that are seen as not having an interest in the art house movies like The King's Speech, The Kids Are Alright, Biutiful, and Winter's Bone where Inception is the only blockbuster exception to the Best Picture race.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/why_the_academy_picked_james_f.html
0 Replies