Is happiness genetic?

Render

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 06:01 pm
It sounds morally harsh but I'm starting to believe it's at least partially true.

1.In most cases people are born with the brain chemistry to an extent where happiness is something they must work for, but they can find it and when they do it becomes rewarding.
2.Others seem to always find happiness regardless of situation.
3.And there are those who are almost never happy, possibly because of a genetic predisposition.
What are your thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,421 • Replies: 8
No top replies

north

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:05 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

It sounds morally harsh but I'm starting to believe it's at least partially true.

1.In most cases people are born with the brain chemistry to an extent where happiness is something they must work for, but they can find it and when they do it becomes rewarding.
2.Others seem to always find happiness regardless of situation.
3.And there are those who are almost never happy, possibly because of a genetic predisposition.
What are your thoughts on this?

a good solid enviroment matters
roger

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:57 pm
@Render,
I'll definately agree with brain chemistry, and am inclined to believe genetics play a role.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 01:25 am
@Render,
Singing in the shower, 'happiness is, happiness is, happiness is, different things to different people , that's what happiness is', is no time to drop your aitches a bit.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 04:34 am
@north,
north wrote:

a good solid enviroment matters
What north said, the enviroment matter the most, have social security, good job, good friends, a partner, kids ..etc. Or being happily ignorent, often the greatest depressive factor is knowing one is inferior.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 07:24 am
@Render,
I'm thinking that a predisposition to having a low tipping point toward happiness may well be genetic. But that doesn't mean you can't be happy without it or that you will definately be happy with it.

Saying 'it's brain chemistry' is needlessly reductive imho. Nurture, attitude, personal history and environment have at least as big parts to play.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:16 am
I wrote a reply and it got lost. I'm very unhappy about this.

But mostly I agree with Hinge here. I will return with a reply when I'm happier.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:17 am
@Render,
Yes, there is a lot of research on "happiness set points."

That is, context can shift things one way or another but people tend to revert to approximately their happiness set point.

Random Google result for "happiness set point," there is a lot more. Especially, look into Daniel Gilbert.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/happiness/

It's not something that is written in stone, more of a predisposition -- inertia will get you there but if you're aware of it there are things you can do about it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2010 08:47 am
I don't know if happiness is genetic, but temperment is.
0 Replies