WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:18 pm
@joefromchicago,
Agreed. Generally though I think all this outrage isn't because of the leaks - it's outrage at the crass ingratitude out there Smile
Quote:
Take up the White Man's burden--
In patience to abide,
To veil the threat of terror
And check the show of pride;
By open speech and simple,
An hundred times made plain
To seek another's profit,
And work another's gain.

Take up the White Man's burden--
The savage wars of peace--
Fill full the mouth of Famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 07:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are not DebraLaw in disguise are you?

OK, that made me laugh..
which doesn't mean I disagree with CJane.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:06 pm
I have been reading somd of the leaked cables, and I admit to being of two minds about them.
I do think that whoever leaked them should be prosecuted, but I am not impressed by the cables themselves.
Many of them strike me as "office gossip" quality, sort of diplospeak for what some people think about other people

I guarantee that if the cables from other countries were leaked, they wouldnt read much different from these.
The ones that asked our diplomats to "spy"on other diplomats at the UN are not surprising either.
The CIA routinely station people at our embassies to spy on other countries and people, so its not a stretch to see them doing it at the UN.
And even if our diplomats arent intelligence operatives, I seriously doubt if they would refuse to ignore a piece of information they came across, even about another diplomat.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Haha, that's funny indeed. I actually miss her, she was great!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:22 pm
@mysteryman,

MM wrote:
I seriously doubt if they would refuse to ignore a piece of information they came across, even about another diplomat.

I think 'coming across information' is pretty different to "gathering biometric information, passwords, and personal encryption keys used in private and commercial networks for official communications".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 08:53 pm
It sure doesn't take long to come across examples of hypocrisy in so many of the Americans posting here. I guess when you've been told all your life that you're the greatest country ever and you run into information that blows that notion all to smithereens, this is the result.

There is a constant stream of excuses for the US's evil behavior from the very people who often speak of personal responsibility, from the MMs, the Okies, the Ican's, the usual suspects. More hypocrisy.

People who live a life of illusion can't be expected to speak of much else besides illusions.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:05 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Quote:
First of all the notion of legality as respects international spying is ridiculous. It is illegal everywhere but that doesn't stop any nation from engaging in it, and no nation outlaws it with the expectation that it will prevent anyone from spying on them. The purpose of making it illegal is so that when you catch someone doing it you can stop them.

Do you even read what you write? The bolding is mine to highlight two diametrically opposed thoughts in one paragraph.

Let's see if I can make it clearer for you.

We have a law that makes it a crime to murder someone. The law is intended to disuade people from murdering each other and it makes a clear statement about our values. If the state murders citizens it will be seen not only as breaking the law, but hypocritically violating our values.

We have a law that makes it a crime to spy on our government. The law may disuade first line clerks and CIA agents from revealing state secrets to foreign agents, but it is not going to nor is it intended to disuade foreign agents from doing their job. In part it may make a clear statement of values about Americans betraying America, but says nothing about the values of the foreign agents doing their job. It exists so that when we inevitably catch foreign agents spying on us we can have a law we can use to stop from doing their job. When our state instructs its agents to spy on foreign governments and their representatives it is not breaking its own law, it is not being hypocritical and its not violating our values. When it is revealed that our government has ordered spying it can be politically harmful, depending on the target, and put individual agents at risk, but it's hardly a legal or moral black eye, so the faux outrage over learning the US government engages in international espionage is ridiculous.

Quote:
Presumably you can cite the US law that makes the actions reported by WikiLeaks illegal,

What? Why would I. I'm pro-wikileaks. Your freaking government can't even find one - so it goes ad hominem on a figurehead.

Since you have repeatedly asserted that Clinton's ordering American agents to spy on UN officials violates US law, I though you might at least have a clue as to the law you claim is being broken. Obviously you are pro-WikiLeaks but are you such a supporter that you would deliberately lie in spreading propoganda in its favor? I didn't assume as much and so figured you could tell me what law you believe Hillary Clinton has broken.

Quote:
because as you might expect, I don't place a lot of stock in international law.

clap clap clap. Well done you. Unless of course you can use it to justify a US action, or seek retribution against someone who has done the US harm. Let's rip up the Geneva convention for starters. You're a hypocrite with his hands on his ears yelling 'lah lah lah lah I'm not listening to you lah lah lah lah'

And you're complaining about the US government's use of ad hominem attacks?

Since I've lost faith in your ability to back up your statements I won't ask you to provide evidence that I've ever relied on international law to justify a US action. How ripping up the Geneva convention is an example of standing on international law when it suits me is beyond me, but maybe I just can't hear you with my hands on my ears.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 09:15 pm
I haven't verbally yet supported high seas on this issue, so I'll do that now.
She and I disagree on this and that, usually both, sometimes in vehemence, but there is mutual listening.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You can't break US law when you're a non-US citizen living and working outside of the US.

Sure you can.

I'm from Missouri. Show me.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:44 pm
@JTT,
Show me where I have made excuses!!
I have stated fact and I have made no excuses for anyone. I am sorry you dont understand reality.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2010 10:57 pm
@Thomas,
Very Happy What part of Missouri?

Rhineland or Hermann?

A
R
T
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 12:21 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
You can't break US law when you're a non-US citizen living and working outside of the US.

Sure you can.

I'm from Missouri. Show me.

(1) No you're not, and (2) here's one example.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 01:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Actually Finn, that did make it much clearer what you were trying to say. But you are wrong, in international diplomacy circles this is very much a moral black eye for the State Dept. Instructing civil servants to violate international law smacks of crime (and idiocy) to me - but I'm no lawyer.

My point was that gathering that sort of information is violation of civil rights or are those 'self-evident truths' about inalienable rights not pertaining to residents, only US citizens? Or did they die with the patriot act?

Finn wrote:
Presumably you can cite the US law that makes the actions reported by WikiLeaks illegal,

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted what you were asking - I though you were asking me to find the US law that makes WikiLeak's actions illegal - which is seemingly impossible for the US A-G so I didn't think I had much of a chance. Mea culpa.

On your third point; I never said you had relied on international law, I was surmising that if the situation arose where International Law allowed the US you to meet its goals (as you see them) I can't imagine you would run out and protest. You dismissed international law - yet Geneva is part of that framework, do you not hold much stock in that either? Are you happy to forego the protections it has given US nationals? You are a moral dilettante, blinkered by nationalism.

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 02:04 am
@hingehead,
OK, motivated by Finn, I've found the following quoted from the National Lawyers Guild web site. Apparently your constitution reserves some rights for citizens but others are shared with all individuals - even illegal immigrants, apparently foreign diplomats are a class on their own with fewer rights:
Quote:
I. What rights do I have?

Whether or not you're a citizen, you have these constitutional rights:

The Right to Remain Silent. The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives every person the right not to answer questions asked by a police officer or government agent.

The Right to be Free from "Unreasonable Searches and Seizures". The Fourth Amendment is supposed to protect your privacy. Without a warrant, police or government agents may not search your home or office without your consent, and you have the right to refuse to let them in. They can enter and search without a warrant in an emergency. New laws have expanded the government's authority to conduct surveillance. It is possible that your e-mail, cell and other telephone calls, and conversations in your home, office, car or meeting place are being monitored without your knowledge.

The Right to Advocate for Change. The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects the rights of groups and individuals who advocate changes in laws, government practices, and even the form of government. However, the INS can target non-citizens for deportation because of their First Amendment activities, as long as it could deport them for other reasons.

anton

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 03:02 am
Senior US politicians have said Wikileaks has jeopardised United States national security and diplomatic efforts around the world…. What a load of hogwash, all he has done is expose the deceit and duplicity of the most dangerous government on the planet; a government and country the world could well do without!

The US should reward Assange for exposing their lack of security in allowing the cables to be revealed.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 05:51 am
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/LL09Aa01.html

Sex, lies and no videotape
As Mark Stephens, Assange's London attorney, had told AOL News this past weekend, Swedish prosecutors want Assange "not for allegations of rape, as previously reported", but for something called "sex by surprise", which Stephens said "involves a fine of 5,000 kronor or about $715". Stephens added, "We don't even know what 'sex by surprise' even means, and they haven't told us."

"Sex by surprise" is legally considered an offense only in Sweden. Anywhere else - including the US and the United Kingdom - quite a few women are rushing to clarify that if it really means what the definition implies, they more than welcome it.

Four charges are involved in the Assange thriller; one "Miss A", 31, a blonde, feminist, social democrat whom once wrote a treatise on how to take revenge against men, poses as victim of "unlawful coercion"; then sex with a malfunctioning condom; then "deliberate molestation"; and finally there's "sex by surprise" with one "Miss W", 27, an art photographer and avowed Assange groupie.

"Miss A" must have enjoyed the mess around, because even after the broken condom the first time, they were seen together the day after. And it was "Miss W" herself who invited Assange to her apartment - even paying for his train ticket. During the trip, Assange seems to have preferred his computer to her company - as the dejected groupie told police. Sex ensued, anyway - with no condom.

Supposing this is the real story, Assange too could have grounds for prosecuting; the resourceful groupie should have handed him both the train ticket and the condom. One thing at least is quite clear; gone are the days of free, independent and much-envied Swedish girls, now obviously replaced by guided-missile prudes.

It gets "girlish". The two women eventually get together to gossip - and realize they had something in common; sharing a bed with Assange. That's when "Miss W" suddenly became supremely troubled regarding her "unprotected sex" and decided to go to the police with "Miss A". The first prosecutor - a woman - issued an arrest warrant for "rape and molestation". She was overruled the day after by another female prosecutor. Then the current prosecutor - also a woman - reopened the investigation, claiming she had "new information".

Top journalist John Pilger, who along with legendary filmmaker Ken Loach and others offered to stand surety for Assange in the London court for over $280,000 (bail was denied), went straight to the point; "The charges against him in Sweden are absurd and were judged as absurd by the chief prosecutor there when she threw the whole thing out until a senior political figure intervened." Outside the Westminster court, Pilger summed it all up; "Sweden should be ashamed."

Whether this "senior political figure" has some shady Central Intelligence Agency-style designs is open to speculation. But the most absurd thing is that "Miss A" herself told a Swedish tabloid that she never wanted Assange to be charged with rape. Maybe she should tell that to the new prosecutor. Moreover, Assange's lawyer Stephens has said many times that his client remained in Sweden for 40 days offering to meet the accusing prosecutor to tell his version of the events.

European-wide laws list 32 violations - rape is one of them - that authorize extradition. Britain is just executing a request from Sweden. European lawyers stress Assange's best chance is now to accept extradition and face whatever justice rolls on in Sweden.

Freedom riders
The "sex by surprise" gambit could not be more convenient for a "Western democratic" system viciously attempting to shut down WikiLeaks at all costs.

Assange begins the op-ed he penned for The Australian this Tuesday with a bang: "In 1958, a young Rupert Murdoch, then owner and editor of Adelaide's the News, wrote: 'In the race between secrecy and truth, it seems inevitable that truth will always win'."

Now compare with what US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton wrote in a Foreign Policy article in early 2010:
On their own, new technologies do not take sides in the struggle for freedom and progress. But the United States does. We stand for a single Internet where all of humanity has equal access to knowledge and ideas. And we recognize that the world's information infrastructure will become what we and others make of it. This challenge may be new, but our responsibility to help ensure the free exchange of ideas goes back to the birth of our republic. The words of the first amendment to the constitution [guaranteeing freedom of speech] are carved in 50 tons of Tennessee marble on the front of this building. And every generation of Americans has worked to protect the values etched in that stone.
What the record is actually showing is that Clinton - unlike Assange and the young Murdoch - is being buried by 50 tons of Tennessee marble. "Free exchange of ideas?" By now, the military dictatorship in Myanmar, the Uzbekistan's President Islam Karimov, the array of US-friendly autocrats/dictators in the Middle East, and the leadership in Beijing are all saying to themselves that it's cool to go after a website, their provider, their donation mechanism - and target foreigners without a warrant - simply because they don't like what the site is saying. The emperor has proclaimed: it's my way or the (non-information) highway.

WikiLeaks cables suggest - once again - that Saudi Arabians are the ATMs for everyone from al-Qaeda to Taliban factions. But from Amazon and eBay to PayPal, Visa and Mastercard, everyone bends over to the furious emperor who wants to shut down a website for good.

The US government doesn't even register that Spain may want to extradite George "Dubya" Bush for war crimes; but all stops will be pulled, and maybe even laws bent, to get an Assange extradition (for the record: that's impossible under current US espionage laws). And this from a government that in nine years was incapable of finding the "terrorists" who, according to the official narrative, actually killed over 3,000 people.

"Sex by surprise" and its derived dodgy charges may eventually keep Assange in jail. Yet this won't kill the messenger - not to mention the message. It's all over the net, via BitTorrent - and it's totally viral (mirrored in 748 sites already, and counting). Moreover, two, three, a million Assanges will spring up. And they will have learned their lesson: if you want to show the emperor is naked, you've got to be as careful with your sex partners as you are with your sources.

Pepe Escobar is the author of Globalistan: How the Globalized World is Dissolving into Liquid War (Nimble Books, 2007) and Red Zone Blues: a snapshot of Baghdad during the surge. His new book, just out, is Obama does Globalistan (Nimble Books, 2009).

He may be reached at [email protected].

(Copyright 2010 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

The man who knows too much
Dec 3, 2010

The naked emperor
Dec 1, 2010

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 08:40 am
Update:

Quote:
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange making new bail bid
14 December 2010 Last updated at 13:35 GMT

The founder of whistle-blowing website Wikileaks is appearing in court in London in a fresh attempt to secure bail.

Julian Assange, 39, denies sexually assaulting two women in Sweden and is fighting extradition.

Mr Assange was refused bail last week despite the offer of sureties from figures including film director Ken Loach and journalist John Pilger.

A number of protesters gathered outside the court ahead of the hearing.

They have been joined outside City of Westminster Magistrates' Court by a large crowd of reporters and a number of Mr Assange's high-profile supporters.

Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell told reporters: "The denial of bail looks like victimisation.

"I think it's absolutely wrong that he is being treated in this way." ...<cont>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11989216
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:28 am
No details yet beyond the headline...

BREAKING NEWS: British judge grants bail to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange
DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

If such is not a crime in Bermuda (though I do think, it is one) he hasn't committed a crime there.

Thomas is correct: although many US-citizen think so, the US-law isn't law in any country outside the U.S.A. jurisdiction.

Well, as law applies to US citizens....

There's a law that's applied to the sex trade, where people would travel outside of the US in order to have sex with underage kids (underage in US jurisdictions, but not underage in, say, Cambodia). They passed a law that says if it's illegal at home, and you do it overseas, then we can still prosecute you for it once you come back.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 09:49 am
@JPB,
The lastest, from Guardian live updates:

Quote:
Julian Assange freed on bail:

• Assange freed on bail to cheers from supporters
• Assange criticises Visa, MasterCard and Paypal from cell
• Police worked case against Madeleine McCann's parents
• Full coverage of the WikiLeaks cables

Comments (290)

This page will update automatically every minute: On | Off
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/12/14/1292324029042/Julian-Assange-pictured-t-006.jpg
Julian Assange, pictured through the heavily tinted windows of a police vehicle Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, pictured through the heavily tinted windows of a police vehicle as he arrives at Westminster magistrates court in London, on 14 December 2010. Photograph: Carl Court/AFP/Getty Images

3.34pm: Assange's bail conditions include surrendering his passport, a curfew, and an electronic tag.

3.31pm: Assange's next court appearance will be January 11 2011. (Sorry about the technical problems in the last few minutes).

3.25pm: Assange has been granted bail, to cheers from inside and outside the court.

...<cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/14/wikileaks-julian-assange-court-appeal-live-updates