WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 03:14 am
@failures art,
Art, I don't often disagree with you. But I do this time.

Quote:
How to feel about Assange's "warning shot" and "poison pill?" Is information for the people or is it to be used as leverage?

What exactly do you mean by this comment?
Seriously, I can't figure out the meaning of your words.
Are they relevant, given what's transpired since, anyway?

Quote:
It seems clear after this week, that he hordes the most sensitive information. This is exactly what I was affraid of happening. I said before, and I mean it: This isn't transparency.

How did you come to the conclusion Julian Assange is "hoarding information"?
This is an entirely new suggestion to me. I have not come across such a suggestion before your post.
My understanding is that Julian Assange attempted to involve US officials prior to the release of any potentially damaging consequences. But they refused to be involved.
And (you'll have to take my word for this) I've been following the Wikileaks very closely.

Quote:
Asange himself talks about the human collateral damage in Kenya. A bogus election leaked, and a revolt sounds great until 1,300 are dead and over 200,000 are displaced. This isn't theoretical, and Assange himself takes credit for it--cooly citing the price in blood as "a statistic." Isn't this humans as numbers mentality the exact evil he's claims to fight?...
...a revolt sounds great until 1,300 are dead and over 200,000 are displaced.

Are you suggesting that Wikileaks is responsible for these deaths?

Quote:
Same goes for the Afghans who gave info to the US. Asange claims that he would love leaked info on AQ or the Taliban. He also claims to be a champion of the rights of the whistle-blowers. How can one resolve these contradictions? The informants who gave info on the Taliban to the US were whistle-blowers! Why does he not advocate for them? This point apparently caused internal conflict in the organization.

I'm not clear what you're saying here, exactly.
Could you clarify, please?
Wikileaks is not about "advocacy".
It is about releasing information in the public interest.
The public can then decide, for itself, what to make of the information supplied.

Quote:
Manning is "unfortunate collateral" too according to another interview with the man. This is our moral police? Our champion of transpancy? He's the one supposed to guide us away from inhumanity? Who elected this man the arbiter of truth and transparency?

Are you saying that Julian Assange considers him merely "unfortunate collateral" Confused Where did you gain that impression from? Link, please.
He supplied information to Wikleaks.
Who knows what his motivations were?
Personally, I am grateful for the insight into my own government's workings as a result of the information he supplied to Wikileaks. There are things we now know which we didn't know before. Some of which are extremely concerning. I have spent the best part of today following the fallout from a mere two Wikileaks & participating in online discussions about what has been learned. And there are a heap of Australian-related Wikileaks to come!
Sadly, this is our only means of gaining some "transparency" on our dealings with the US government.

Quote:
So here's my compass; here is how I will decide if the right information the wrong way is worth it: If WL actually causes public participation. Otherwise, it's just people pissed off sitting at their computer while others elswhere in the world are "unfortunate collateral." I'd like to see real transparancy in the form of giving more power to the Freedom of Information Act. I'd like to see Net Neutrality protected. In fact, Assange may have created the exact excuse for the GOP to push this further. Another reason I'm upset. But if people can only be bothered to surf the web, and not know their elected reps names (let alone write them a personal letter or call their phone), then there is a word for it.

You don't appear to get it, Art.
Wikileaks is not about US internal politics at all.
It is about the US relations with other countries.
It reveals to us (non-US countries) what has actually gone on between the US & our countries' representatives.
And, whether you like it or not, Wikileaks is shedding some much needed information which we did not have access to before.

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 04:07 am
@failures art,
Quote:
For the record: I don't think that the site is illegal in any way. I don't think that the site is the issue at all. I'm just nauseated by the hero worship given to Assange. He waves the banner of transparency, for which I believe he has no claim to.

Transparency has everything to do with it, especially if you are a nation which has been denied transparency from its own government about its dealings with the US, Art.

I don't believe Wikileaks is "illegal" either.
Many other prominent Australians are standing up & saying that the activities of Wikileaks are entirely legitimate, too.
But our own prime minister has said that it is.
Here's just one of a growing number of objections to her assessment:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/09/3089510.htm
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:19 am
@msolga,
Hi Olgs - I missed. So Arbib can be imprisoned as a traitor - or just shunned as a suckhole?

It so correlates my personal opinion of this twat - relayed on your Oz politics thread.
msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 05:35 am
@hingehead,
Yep. Indeed related to our Oz politics thread issues, hinge ... but we appear to have something of an overlap today, yes?

As for Mark Arbib.
Words fail me.
I will never,ever even consider giving my vote to the Australian Labour Party while he & his right wing faction run it.
Has this man never heard of sovereign interests & concerns?
Thank you, Wikileaks for letting us know.
A pox on him, I say.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/thestump/2010/12/09/mark-arbib-the-faceless-inside-man/

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:02 am
Now here's a thought for US authorities ...

Instead of bombarding the Middle East with US propaganda, say nothing of of troops & war mongering ... the best way to win hearts & minds might just be the good old American entertainment industry!

How do we know: Wikileaks told us so! Smile

Quote:

WikiLeaks: Jihad? Sorry, I don't want to miss Desperate Housewives
Robert Booth
December 9, 2010 - 10:38AM

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/09/2087063/desperate-housewives-420-420x0.jpg
Domestic diplomacy ... The cast of Desperate Housewives hold sway in Saudi Arabia.

WikiLeaks cables reveal the American celebrities wielding more influence over the Middle East than US-funded propaganda.

Satellite broadcasts of the US TV shows Desperate Housewives and Late Show With David Letterman are doing more to persuade Saudi youth to reject violent jihad than hundreds of millions of dollars of US government propaganda, informants have told the American embassy in cables published by WikiLeaks.

Broadcast uncensored and with Arabic subtitles alongside sitcoms such as Friends on Saudi Arabia's MBC 4 channel, the shows are being allowed as part of the kingdom's "war of ideas" against extremist elements. According to a secret cable titled "David Letterman: Agent of Influence", they have been proving more effective than Washington's main propaganda tool, the US-funded al-Hurra TV news channel.

Al-Hurra has shown lengthy interviews with US politicians, including George Bush, but has run into problems with locally hired journalists. On one occasion it broadcast a call to arms against Israel by Hezbollah, which was not the plan when the channel was launched across the Middle East in 2004 after the Iraq invasion.
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/09/2087074/David-Letterman-420-420x0.jpg
Cooling agent ... David Letterman.

Diplomats said they believed the allure of actors such as Eva Longoria, Jennifer Aniston and David Schwimmer meant commercial TV had a far greater impact than al-Hurra which, according to one report, has cost US taxpayers up to $500m.

"It's still all about the war of ideas here, and the American programming on MBC and Rotana [a channel part-owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation] is winning over ordinary Saudis in a way that al-Hurra and other US propaganda never could," two Saudi media executives told a US official in a meeting at a Jeddah branch of Starbucks. "Saudis are now very interested in the outside world and everybody wants to study in the US if they can. They are fascinated by US culture in a way they never were before," the May 2009 cable says.

The popularity of the channels is particularly surprising given Rotana broadcasts Fox News, the rightwing News Corp channel that takes a hard line against Islamic radicalism and has strongly supported US military intervention in the Middle East.
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/12/09/2087067/george-clooney-420-420x0.jpg
Man of influence ... George Clooney in Michael Clayton.

A senior al-Arabiya news channel director said US programming on MBC 4 and MBC 5 had become the most popular in Saudi Arabia and "told us that this programming is also very popular in remote, conservative corners of the country, where he said 'you no longer see Bedouins, but kids in western dress' who are now interested in the outside world".

The diplomats told Washington that certain themes in American movies seemed to appeal to the Saudi audience: heroic honesty in the face of corruption (George Clooney in Michael Clayton), supportive behaviour in relationships (an unspecified drama that was repeated during an Eid holiday featuring an American husband dealing with a drunk wife who smashed cars and crockery when she wasn't assaulting him and their child), and respect for the law over self-interest (Al Pacino and Robin Williams in Insomnia).

In further evidence of the advance of US media in Saudi Arabia, the same cable revealed that one of Rupert Murdoch's sons held talks with the board of al-Eqtisadiah, a Saudi Arabian daily newspaper, about a deal to publish an Arabic version of the Wall Street Journal. The meeting was said to have been called at the behest of Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a billionaire businessman and shareholder in News Corporation. The 35 per cent Bin Talal-owned SRMG media group, which owns al-Eqtisadiah, was also trying to win a contract to publish the International Herald Tribune uncensored in Saudi Arabia, the cable reveals.

GUARDIAN

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/wikileaks-jihad-sorry-i-dont-want-to-miss-desperate-housewives-20101209-18qd7.html
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:17 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
failures art wrote:
Asange himself talks about the human collateral damage in Kenya. A bogus election leaked, and a revolt sounds great until 1,300 are dead and over 200,000 are displaced. This isn't theoretical, and Assange himself takes credit for it--cooly citing the price in blood as "a statistic." Isn't this humans as numbers mentality the exact evil he's claims to fight?...

Assange was interviewed for the August 1, 2010 issue of The Observer by Carole Cadwalladr on Kenya and other topics:
Quote:
When I try to question him about the morality of what he's done, if he worries about unleashing something that he can't control, that no one can control, he tells me the story of the Kenyan 2007 elections when a WikiLeak document "swung the election".

The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states: "On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."
failures art

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:32 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
How to feel about Assange's "warning shot" and "poison pill?" Is information for the people or is it to be used as leverage?

What exactly do you mean by this comment?
Seriously, I can't figure out the meaning of your words.
Are they relevant, given what's transpired since, anyway?

Sorry for the use of media buzzwords here.

The "warning shot" was Assange releasing a list of facilities around the world that the US considers vital to the economy as a warning to the powers that be the he would and can hurt them with info.

He then threatened to viral release of his "poison pill" leak which is apparently very sensitive.

msolga wrote:

Quote:
It seems clear after this week, that he hordes the most sensitive information. This is exactly what I was affraid of happening. I said before, and I mean it: This isn't transparency.

How did you come to the conclusion Julian Assange is "hoarding information"?
This is an entirely new suggestion to me. I have not come across such a suggestion before your post.

The above mentioned is two examples of information being held msolga. An additional example is that of all the cable WL has, how many have they made available? The only people that have them all are WL themselves, and 5 news outlets. Information to the people? Why hold back?

More to the point, we only know what Assange has based on what he admits to having. He admits to having info on American Banks in his Forbes interview. That admission should not be read as that is all he has, and if he's saying that he has something, it's because he wants people to know what he has. When the time comes to demonstrate more, he admits to having more. Why not be upfront about what you have in full?

Secrets are very valuable to this man.

msolga wrote:

My understanding is that Julian Assange attempted to involve US officials prior to the release of any potentially damaging consequences. But they refused to be involved.

Assange is dictating terms here. In his own org there has been friction about this topic. I think it's more theater to say that Assange has been so eager to cooperate.

msolga wrote:

And (you'll have to take my word for this) I've been following the Wikileaks very closely.

As have I. I've severely curbed my enthusiasm though. I originally thought this was great. I am no longer convinced.

msolga wrote:

Quote:

I don't have to suggest anything. Assange said so himself:
Assange wrote:
The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states: "On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

source

Assange seems very fond of the idea of his information causing political uprising, and thinks the ends justifies the means. The price after all is nothing he himself has to be concerned about.

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Same goes for the Afghans who gave info to the US. Asange claims that he would love leaked info on AQ or the Taliban. He also claims to be a champion of the rights of the whistle-blowers. How can one resolve these contradictions? The informants who gave info on the Taliban to the US were whistle-blowers! Why does he not advocate for them? This point apparently caused internal conflict in the organization.

I'm not clear what you're saying here, exactly.
Could you clarify, please?
Wikileaks is not about "advocacy".

I'm saying that while Assange is condemning the US for coming down on the leak sources (whistle-blowers), he is actively contradicting himself by releasing the names of people who have leaked information to the USA. It seems that only some leakers are worth protection under his logic.

msolga wrote:

It is about releasing information in the public interest.

No. Some of the information release is goo for public interest, others fail to meet that standard. Certainly releasing a list of site that the USA find vital cannot be considered in the public interest.

Assange once said we can't have a perfect system without perfect information (paraphrased). If he is giving information piece wise and only has part of the information, how are me moving towards a better system? Instead we have partial truths and a narrative.

msolga wrote:

The public can then decide, for itself, what to make of the information supplied.

"Supplied" is the key word. The public won't be asked to wait to make decisions until it sees the cables of all nations. Has Australia decided after seeing this that their bureaucratic cables should be released? Has this inspired real transparency or are those documents still protected?

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Manning is "unfortunate collateral" too according to another interview with the man. This is our moral police? Our champion of transpancy? He's the one supposed to guide us away from inhumanity? Who elected this man the arbiter of truth and transparency?

Are you saying that Julian Assange considers him merely "unfortunate collateral" Confused Where did you gain that impression from? Link, please.
He supplied information to Wikleaks.

Assange when asked recently about the fate of Manning said that he should be supported, but if he goes to jail it's simply the collateral.

msolga wrote:

Who knows what his motivations were?

Manning or Assange?

msolga wrote:

Personally, I am grateful for the insight into my own government's workings as a result of the information he supplied to Wikileaks. There are things we now know which we didn't know before. Some of which are extremely concerning. I have spent the best part of today following the fallout from a mere two Wikileaks & participating in online discussions about what has been learned. And there are a heap of Australian-related Wikileaks to come!
Sadly, this is our only means of gaining some "transparency" on our dealings with the US government.

This isn't transparency. It's a hole in the curtain. Partial truth isn't honesty. We should not mistake it for such.

msolga wrote:

Quote:
So here's my compass; here is how I will decide if the right information the wrong way is worth it: If WL actually causes public participation. Otherwise, it's just people pissed off sitting at their computer while others elswhere in the world are "unfortunate collateral." I'd like to see real transparancy in the form of giving more power to the Freedom of Information Act. I'd like to see Net Neutrality protected. In fact, Assange may have created the exact excuse for the GOP to push this further. Another reason I'm upset. But if people can only be bothered to surf the web, and not know their elected reps names (let alone write them a personal letter or call their phone), then there is a word for it.

You don't appear to get it, Art.
Wikileaks is not about US internal politics at all.
It is about the US relations with other countries.

I'm not saying it is. I'm only talking about it as it pertains to the US. WL is also about banks and business, etc.

msolga wrote:

It reveals to us (non-US countries) what has actually gone on between the US & our countries' representatives.

So with a partial picture you feel you have information that is actionable?

msolga wrote:

And, whether you like it or not, Wikileaks is shedding some much needed information which we did not have access to before.

Hence what I said: Some of the right information, but in the wrong way.

I don't applaud vigilante notions of justice. We may not cry for a murdered rapist, but we both know that is not justice.

A
R
T
msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:32 am
@wandeljw,
So, are you arguing that Kenyans didn't have the right to access to that Wikileaks information, wandel?
To make what they chose of it?
Do you think it was only Wikileaks information (including the 40,000 children a year dying of malaria) which caused such loss of life to occur?
Is staying mute, encouraging ignorance, any sort of sound defence against tyranny?
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 06:53 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

So, are you arguing that Kenyans didn't have the right to access to that Wikileaks information, wandel?
To make what they chose of it?
Do you think it was only Wikileaks information (including the 40,000 children a year dying of malaria) which caused such loss of life to occur?
Is staying mute, encouraging ignorance, any sort of sound defence against tyranny?

Should Wikileaks have the power to decide moral dilemmas?

You should consider failures arts' responses to your questions (see above).
msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 07:53 am
@failures art,
Art, I'm reading your post and trying to figure out how to respond to each of your responses without staying up all night. (It is 15 minutes past midnight here & I really don't want to be up for hours ... )

First of all, can I make the point (yet again!) that Wikileaks has made every attempt to vet the tons of existing information to avoid damage to particular individuals. Secondly, the carefully chosen media recipients of the Wikileaks (NYT, Guardian, De Spiegel, etc) have also acknowledged that they have been very selective about the information published & not published. For the same reasons.

I said:
Quote:

Which he did. (see the BBC article I posted a few pages back) If the US authorities chose not to be involved in vetting the material, they then took no responsibility for "protecting innocent people"(ie their contacts) , leaving that to Wikileaks & its media contacts. From what I have seen of the published material, despite US authorities' non-participation, the information has been responsibly handled. Every care has been taken to ensure that individuals have not been named.

Quote:
Assange seems very fond of the idea of his information causing political uprising, and thinks the ends justifies the means. The price after all is nothing he himself has to be concerned about.

That is your interpretation of his motives. I have heard no such statement from Assange or Wikileaks.
Access to information which we're entitled to in democracies, especially, (the stated goal of Wikileaks) is my interpration. That is, transparency rather than secrecy.

Quote:
Assange when asked recently about the fate of Manning said that he should be supported, but if he goes to jail it's simply the collateral.

But jailing Manning was a US decision, which Wikileaks had absolutely no say in, surely? Whatever Julian Assange's views on this, he couldn't possibly influence how the US authorities would treat Manning. And Manning would have been aware of this, surely, when he supplied the leaked cables to Wikleaks?

Quote:
Hence what I said: Some of the right information, but in the wrong way.

I don't applaud vigilante notions of justice. We may not cry for a murdered rapist, but we both know that is not justice.

And I am saying that without Wikileaks we wouldn't have most of the information we've received, via the leaks.
Can you suggest a "right way" that we might have learned about US spying on the UN leadership, for example?
What sort of non "vigilante" sources could have provided us with the"right information", do you think?

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 08:03 am
@wandeljw,
Quote:

Crikey, wandel, who suggested that was Wikileak's role? Confused
Wikileaks certainly didn't & neither did I.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:00 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Crikey, wandel, who suggested that was Wikileak's role? Confused
Wikileaks certainly didn't & neither did I.

Did you understand the context of my remark?

The direct quote of Julian Assange: "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak. On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

Should Wikileaks decide that the right of information has priority over collateral damage?
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:22 am
Wandel and FA, I'm glad you're both here. I'm curious about the tenor and directions coming from within the government over all of this. Are you able to share, without damaging your own positions of course, whether government employees are being given talking points and/or encouragement to discuss the WL situation with their non-government friends/families/contacts?
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:24 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Should Wikileaks decide that the right of information has priority over collateral damage?

Whether they should or not is apparently moot. They have and have pledged to continue to do so. What the world needs to do is understand that there's no such thing as a secret in today's world and behave accordingly.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:27 am
@msolga,
I think Mr Assange has relied, on the face of it at least, on certain moral notions Olga. Whether they are his real motives are a matter of conjecture.

But Wikileaks has no power to decide on morals. It can only persuade.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:33 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

Wandel, do you think this question was pertinent to Woodward & Bernstein?
The collateral damage was far greater then with Nixon stepping down and an entire nation in turmoil. Would you rather have had them keep quiet?
spendius

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:33 am
@JPB,
Quote:
. Are you able to share, without damaging your own positions of course, whether government employees are being given talking points and/or encouragement to discuss the WL situation with their non-government friends/families/contacts?

That's an unfair question. wande should pretend it hasn't been asked but his doing even that might be construed to answer it. His best bet is to say that he is in garbage disposal and that's a level where official guidance on such matters fails to penetrate.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:44 am
@spendius,
Why is it an unfair question? Why is it not natural to be curious about the tenor inside the government? Neither is obligated to answer and I didn't ask it to put either of them on the spot. Answer, or don't, guys - it wasn't intended as a trap.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:46 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Wandel and FA, I'm glad you're both here. I'm curious about the tenor and directions coming from within the government over all of this. Are you able to share, without damaging your own positions of course, whether government employees are being given talking points and/or encouragement to discuss the WL situation with their non-government friends/families/contacts?

I am not sure whether failures art has a government position.

I have been working for the federal government since 1977. We have never been given talking points on any issue.

Obviously, I have sentimental feelings about U. S. government. However, I was very unhappy with many government policy decisions.

The government does not always decide like I want them to. However, as citizens, the government provides us with representation. Wikileaks provides no such representation.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:50 am
@wandeljw,
Thanks, jw, and sorry if that was an uncomfortable question. I wasn't trying to put you in a box.

Quote:
However, as a citizen, the government provides us with representation. Wikileaks provides no such representation

True, in theory. I'm not convinced our system of government is effectively representing us these days, but that's old news.
0 Replies