WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 09:55 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
Should Wikileaks decide that the right of information has priority over collateral damage?

Wandel, do you think this question was pertinent to Woodward & Bernstein?
The collateral damage was far greater then with Nixon stepping down and an entire nation in turmoil. Would you rather have had them keep quiet?

The editor of the New York Times, for example, has said that such decisions need to be made on a case by case basis. Were lives endangered by the Washington Post? Ben Bradlee made careful editorial decisions about pieces submitted by Woodward and Bernstein.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:12 am
JPB wrote:
What the world needs to do is understand that there's no such thing as a secret in today's world and behave accordingly.

Secrecy is not always a bad thing. There are good reasons for keeping some information secret. All of our freedoms require responsible behavior. Sometimes different freedoms come into conflict with each other. The right to information for one person may come into conflict with the right to privacy for another person.
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:22 am
@wandeljw,
I didn't say it was always a bad thing. I said yesterday that I'm fine (glad even, although I didn't use that word) that no top secret documents were leaked. What I mean is that we shouldn't assume that secrets will remain secret.

Look, I know that it's naive to think that if we all just stopped playing bullshit games with each other that everyone would get in line and play fair. I agree that's there's good intent with a diplomatic resolution to solving disputes that might otherwise lead to acts of aggression. I'm also not naive enough to think that folks in the Ukraine aren't going to refuse to sell arms to folks in the southern Sudan because we've said they shouldn't (today's leak du jour). But, we've set ourselves up as the moral arbiter in the same way you're saying Assange has. The world includes the USA in its list of bad guys. It's time we acknowledge and understand what that means.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:26 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Wandel and FA, I'm glad you're both here. I'm curious about the tenor and directions coming from within the government over all of this. Are you able to share, without damaging your own positions of course, whether government employees are being given talking points and/or encouragement to discuss the WL situation with their non-government friends/families/contacts?

I've been given no talking points. It is not as if this issue monopolizes the daily operations of my job. I have however discusses this amongst DoD and IC individuals, and read the local blogs on our networks (we have internal things similar to things on the WWW). My feeling is that many people are very upset, but upset most about the incompleteness of the picture and their inability to clarify anything. This is the whole partial truths aren't honesty bit.

The only direction we get is to not visit the site. This isn't a reactionary policy despite what the media is saying. Disclosed classified documents are still classified unless declassified, and viewing classified docs on an unclassified network/system (like my laptop) has always been a security violation. If gov officials or contractors have the clearance and need to know, they can already access these documents via the appropriate channels. People who are portraying this policy as being tailored especially due to the WL controversy are uninformed or being dishonest. This policy out dates WL and the public internet itself.

I have not been encouraged or discouraged from talking about this topic.

A
R
T
BillW

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:28 am
and, a person who threatens to go nuclear if their demands and wishes are not meet is automatically exempt from having their finger on the button, besides the fact this action alone is extortion and punishable by law.....
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 10:51 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

First of all, can I make the point (yet again!) that Wikileaks has made every attempt to vet the tons of existing information to avoid damage to particular individuals.

We will disagree here. This is the topic in which has caused internal org friction already in WL. People have left because of Assange's recklessness.

msolga wrote:

Secondly, the carefully chosen media recipients of the Wikileaks (NYT, Guardian, De Spiegel, etc) have also acknowledged that they have been very selective about the information published & not published. For the same reasons.

Selective? Therein lies the paradox msolga. What qualifies any of these sources or WL as having the discretion? Isn't this the actual acknowledgment that this information can produce negative consequences?

I'm still interested about how you feel releasing a list of facilities the US finds economically critical is in the public's interest.

msolga wrote:

I said:
Quote:

My understanding is that Julian Assange attempted to involve US officials prior to the release of any potentially damaging consequences. But they refused to be involved.

Which he did. (see the BBC article I posted a few pages back) If the US authorities chose not to be involved in vetting the material, they then took no responsibility for "protecting innocent people"(ie their contacts) , leaving that to Wikileaks & its media contacts. From what I have seen of the published material, despite US authorities' non-participation, the information has been responsibly handled. Every care has been taken to ensure that individuals have not been named.

I want to know how you define "responsibly handled." How would WL demonstrate poor handling of sensitive material?

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Assange seems very fond of the idea of his information causing political uprising, and thinks the ends justifies the means. The price after all is nothing he himself has to be concerned about.

That is your interpretation of his motives. I have heard no such statement from Assange or Wikileaks.
Access to information which we're entitled to in democracies, especially, (the stated goal of Wikileaks) is my interpration. That is, transparency rather than secrecy.

I quoted him directly msolga. You aren't disturbed with the causal nature in which he brushes off the dead and displaced? Isn't that the mentality he's professed to oppose?

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Assange when asked recently about the fate of Manning said that he should be supported, but if he goes to jail it's simply the collateral.

But jailing Manning was a US decision, which Wikileaks had absolutely no say in, surely? Whatever Julian Assange's views on this, he couldn't possibly influence how the US authorities would treat Manning.

Assange weighs in on this topic for PR sake in my opinion. Of course the US is not interested in his view on this. It builds on Assange's Robin Hood complex.

msolga wrote:

And Manning would have been aware of this, surely, when he supplied the leaked cables to Wikleaks?

No doubt, at least I would hope. On the other hand, in the Forbes interview, Assange seems to be encouraging others to leak suggesting that everyone gets away with it.

msolga wrote:

Quote:
Hence what I said: Some of the right information, but in the wrong way.

I don't applaud vigilante notions of justice. We may not cry for a murdered rapist, but we both know that is not justice.

And I am saying that without Wikileaks we wouldn't have most of the information we've received, via the leaks.

That's not a justification for WLs. That's a damning of citizen complacency. I'll agree to that extent.

msolga wrote:

Can you suggest a "right way" that we might have learned about US spying on the UN leadership, for example?

All documents declassify over time. For instance, the cables that WL released would have been declassified after 25 years (typically). If this is an unacceptable time frame, the answer isn't to start worshiping agents of chaos, but to call on elected powers to institute new guidelines for declassification and grant more power to things like (in the US) the Freedom of Information Act.

msolga wrote:

What sort of non "vigilante" sources could have provided us with the"right information", do you think?

None. Whistle-blowing is not a catch all term. This isn't transparency.

I'm still also interested as to why if the US's Diplomatic cables being released was such a good thing in the name of transparency, why no other state has taken this as the opportunity to volunteer their own? You own posts suggest that this grants a special view into your own country's doing with mine. There is nothing inherently special about the US's diplomatic secrets. I'm sure Austrialia's cables will remain under lock and key.

We should not be relying on vigilante agents. Who watches the watchmen?

A
R
T
DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:19 am
How Secure Is Julian Assange's "Thermonuclear" Insurance File?

Quote:
A few months back, Wikileaks released a giant file that's been referred to as the "thermonuclear" option, should the organization's existence be threatened: A huge compendium of some of the most damaging secrets Wikileaks has collected, protected with an intense brand of secure encryption--for use as insurance. With Assange now in police custody on sex crimes charges, the "poison pill" is on everyone's mind.

The pill in question is a 1.4GB file, circulated by BitTorrent. It's been downloaded tens of thousands of times, no mean feat for what, at the moment, is a giant file with absolutely no use whatsoever. It's waiting on the hard drives of curious Torrenters, Wikileaks supporters, and (you can bet) government agents worldwide, awaiting the password that'll open the file to all. Although no one is sure of its contents, the file is speculated to contain the full, un-redacted documents collected by the organization to date (including, some are guessing, new documents on Guantanamo Bay or regarding the financial crisis). It has yet to be cracked, at least not publicly, though there is a hefty amount of activity from those trying, at least a little, to break into it before Assange releases the key.

What makes this so pressing is Assange's recent arrest in London, on, to say the least, somewhat controversial sex crimes charges in Sweden. There's been speculation that this could be the lead-up to more severe prosecution--certain American politicians have called for prosecuting Assange for "treason," apparently not realizing or caring that Assange is an Australian national--and could in turn lead to his releasing of the password for these documents.

The file is titled "insurance.aes256," implying that it's protected with an AES 256-bit key, one of the strongest in the world. The thing is, there's no actual way to figure out the type of encryption used. Though there's no particular reason for Assange to lie about the security he used, it's something to keep in mind. Let's assume for the moment that it is indeed an AES-256 encryption....

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:25 am
@failures art,
Hey FA,

You ask, in terms of why Wikileaks doesn't release it all at once,

Quote:
Why hold back?

There are several good reasons to do so, not the least of which being that there is a far greater societal impact when data is trickled out, then when it is poured out in a flood. Assange learned this from the newspaper business - literally, the NYT and other newspapers have been counseling him regarding the proper way to release this information.

Second, I believe there is a period of internal review, where their team searches for things that actually would be harmful to be released.

Third, it's strategically better for him to keep some information close to the vest. Wikileaks isn't doing a single thing different than any paper would or should do. But they aren't an established, long-standing news institution; instead it's an organization that is in its' infancy, susceptible to attacks on all sides. They have a right and obligation to defend themselves from malicious attacks from corporations and governments, who are afraid of what will be revealed.

I'm sure that DoD and IC people ARE very upset about this, but not because it's an 'incomplete picture' that makes them look like a bunch of bumbling jerks. They are upset because their entire industry, way of life, and never-ending stream of cash and connections relies upon the public never, ever finding out what is really going on. Ever. Wikileaks - and the entire idea Assange is setting up - is pernicious, not to our society, but to certain interests within our society which profit greatly from secrecy. Usually to the detriment of everyone else.

I'm one of those who cheers Assange on as a hero. He's just the tip of the iceberg, FA; in the new internet era, old ideas of secrecy are already dead and gone. They just don't know it yet. We would all be better served to be pushing for a far more open society and government.

In an earlier post, you stated:

Quote:
Asange himself talks about the human collateral damage in Kenya. A bogus election leaked, and a revolt sounds great until 1,300 are dead and over 200,000 are displaced. This isn't theoretical, and Assange himself takes credit for it--cooly citing the price in blood as "a statistic." Isn't this humans as numbers mentality the exact evil he's claims to fight?

Are you saying the people in Kenya would have been better off never knowing their election was rigged? Those who chose to revolt based on the truth made their choice as adult humans. Assange didn't force them to revolt. Blaming him for what happens after the truth is revealed is misplaced.

Quote:
Manning is "unfortunate collateral" too according to another interview with the man. This is our moral police? Our champion of transpancy? He's the one supposed to guide us away from inhumanity? Who elected this man the arbiter of truth and transparency?

I've seen him praising Manning as a hero, so I'm not sure where you saw that quote.

Re: who elected him to this role? He elected himself, and that's all the justification any of us need.

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:28 am
@failures art,
Quote:
and viewing classified docs on an unclassified network/system (like my laptop) has always been a security violation
You are being disingenuous here...the violation has been PUTTING of classified info on a unclassified laptop, not the viewing of classified documents on the internet. The rule re not looking at Wiki was made because the forbidding of this activity was not covered under standing rules.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:28 am
@DrewDad,
The dude's been hacking for 20 years and knows cryptanalysis like the back of his hand. He certainly has the cred to support the concept that his 'poison pill' is real.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:32 am
@failures art,
Interesting. Thanks, FA.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:41 am
wow, it becomes a bit of a farce now..

Quote:
Pakistani media publish fake WikiLeaks cables attacking India
Comments alleged to be from WikiLeaks US embassy cables say Indian generals are genocidal and New Delhi backs militants

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/09/pakistani-newspaper-fake-leaks-india
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:44 am
@hawkeye10,
I think that Failures Art's point is that even though these documents are readily accessible, it doesn't release those with security clearance from the rules regarding classified documents.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The dude's been hacking for 20 years and knows cryptanalysis like the back of his hand. He certainly has the cred to support the concept that his 'poison pill' is real.

Cycloptichorn

Nowadays, encrypting something is trivial. I was interested in the existence of the file itself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 11:47 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Nowadays, encrypting something is trivial. I was interested in the existence of the file itself.

Are you saying, is there anything important in it? My guess would be: yeah. If I were him, there would be. He clearly has access to embarrassing and sensitive information.

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:10 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
The above mentioned is two examples of information being held msolga. An additional example is that of all the cable WL has, how many have they made available? The only people that have them all are WL themselves, and 5 news outlets. Information to the people? Why hold back?

More to the point, we only know what Assange has based on what he admits to having. He admits to having info on American Banks in his Forbes interview. That admission should not be read as that is all he has, and if he's saying that he has something, it's because he wants people to know what he has. When the time comes to demonstrate more, he admits to having more. Why not be upfront about what you have in full?

Secrets are very valuable to this man.

He's certainly not been withholding information that points to him being responsible for the deaths of a million plus people in Iraq and Afghanistan. He doesn't keep secrets that would show him to have terrorized the country of Cuba and North Korea and ... for over half a century.

He doesn't keep secrets that would show him to have targeted civilians in Vietnam, both south and north, Japan, Cambodia, Laos, Korea, Nicaragua, the Philippines, South Korea, ... .

Quote:
As have I. I've severely curbed my enthusiasm though. I originally thought this was great. I am no longer convinced.

Of course you have, Art. It conflicts with what you've heard all your life in your little echo chamber.

Quote:
Assange seems very fond of the idea of his information causing political uprising, and thinks the ends justifies the means. The price after all is nothing he himself has to be concerned about.

Your hypocrisy is stunning, Failures! Why do you leap to the conclusion that he "seems fond of the idea of his info causing political uprising"? He noted that the people of Kenya had the right to know, which of course, they do. He was not responsible for what happened after in the least.

I don't hear you arguing that leaks to any US newspapers have caused any problems/deaths/turmoil.

I don't hear you chastising those portions of the US media that constantly seek to foment trouble around the world, trouble that comes, not from the release of the truth, but from US government propaganda, lies that are regularly swallowed by pablum gobblers like you.

I don't hear you registering any objections to the propaganda that is daily released to the US "media" that seeks to hide the deaths, the attacks on civilians caused by two illegal invasions.

This is stupendously amazing!

Think of the innumerable times that the USA has instigated these same things. The US is world famous for trying to force radical change with no regard to the consequences. And they don't encourage change by providing the truth. They try to enforce change by a series of lies piled upon further piles of lies.

Y'all make movies about it, spread all manner of propaganda about it then pat yourselves on the back when you create situations like the killing fields of SE Asia.

Of course, that's only for situations where they don't have military control. Where that's the case, they either murder those who are seeking a better world or, now their favorite policy, have their financially supported and trained proxies do it for them.

Quote:
"Supplied" is the key word. The public won't be asked to wait to make decisions until it sees the cables of all nations. Has Australia decided after seeing this that their bureaucratic cables should be released? Has this inspired real transparency or are those documents still protected?

Your fear is palpable and telling. Your concern here is not for the truth. Your concern is that it will become clear to the people of the world just what a monster the USA has been over the last couple of centuries.

What kind of a fool would think it possible that what has so far transpired, in this new born era of daylight. would make all governments release their own documents? Why would you even raise such an inane "argument"?

If you are going to try to make your mark as a propagandist, you had better take a lesson or two from Finn or Gob1. They are better, though not by much, at deception.

Quote:
Certainly releasing a list of site that the USA find vital cannot be considered in the public interest.

What you mean is "in the US's interests". The public, say the people of Iraq or Afghanistan or Cuba or any of the numerous other countries that the US has visited great horror upon beg to differ.

Quote:
Assange once said we can't have a perfect system without perfect information (paraphrased). If he is giving information piece wise and only has part of the information, how are me moving towards a better system? Instead we have partial truths and a narrative.

I'll take 'partial truth, with more to come and lots of narrative' which this is obviously generating, [much to your great dismay] over a 'series of lies and a steady stream of propaganda' any day.

High Seas

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
This blog comment makes more sense than any of the breast-beating by the Sec State and assorted buffoons we currently got in office:
Quote:
I mean, you couldn’t make this stuff up. In fact, if I were to offer a conspiracy theory to explain it, I might suggest that the U.S. government now exists mainly to feed material to The Daily Show. .....New York Times reporting that “the Obama administration and the Department of Defense have ordered the hundreds of thousands of federal employees and contractors not to view the secret cables and other classified documents published by Wikileaks and news organizations around the world unless the workers have the required security clearance or authorization.”... Don’t laugh. No, really, stop it!
JTT

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:24 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Obviously, I have sentimental feelings about U. S. government. However, I was very unhappy with many government policy decisions.

The government does not always decide like I want them to. However, as citizens, the government provides us with representation. Wikileaks provides no such representation.

That last statement is truly fatuous, Wandel. Does the NYT, the Toledo Blade, the ... provide you with representation? Why do you go on about WikiLeaks and say nothing about the other media that has this same info and is making tons of money off it?

Again, I ask. How many advertisers are knocking down the doors of WL's ad agency?

Are these successive US governments that commit war crimes really representing you? From what I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case and yet, you seem to want to provide cover for what should already be known.

You seemed to put forth argument after argument to stop ID from polluting the education system with their lies but you seem to have no problem with the US government doing the same thing.

The US government doesn't need to give their employees talking points. They flow, like they do from the mouths of most Americans, as freely as a Spring freshet.
High Seas

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycl - some time ago saw you posting you'll be using 2 names in order to thumb up your posts. They were Cycl and FA. Has schizophrenia set in?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2010 12:32 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Cycl - some time ago I saw you posting you'll be using 2 names henceforth in order to thumb up your posts. They were Cycl and FA.

Hope schizophrenia hasn't set in.

It's a long-standing joke, based on an ex-members conviction that the two of us are in fact the same person.

But it is an interesting point, because how would you ever know for sure? Laughing

Cycloptichorn