WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 12:38 pm
@Rockhead,
Time will tell my friend and once a site begin to go down it can be a very fast ending.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 12:54 pm
@spendius,
DAVID wrote:
It occurred to me to reply to Spendius
in an obliquely light-hearted, frivolous way about the content of his post
(altho, in real life I have always been HORRIFIED and scandalized by that practice),
but it occurs to me that if I were jaunty or impish in my response,
that might well result in a very permanent capital punishment from A2K,
not necessarily from Spendius himself, but from any member who read my post.
spendius wrote:
That constitutes a very serious criticism of A2K which I don't think is justified.
I hope it is not an excuse for an inability to be jaunty or impish.
It is not my purpose to criticize A2K,
but rather to offer the opinion that it is better now
than it woud be if there were NO opportunity for relenting and forgiving
because blocked offenders were "out of sight and out of mind"
on a more profoundly permanent basis.

Any participant of the forum coud institute the block.
This coud happen with a series of members who were
mildly annoyed by a word or 2, or a random, miscellaneous idea;
that can add up to significantly less communications among us.

In my humble opinion, we are already better off
than we woud be with a SUPER-Ignore button,
but with it or without it, A2K is still the best featured
and most comfortable discussion site that I ever heard of on the Internet.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 01:13 pm
Confrontation and truth are the bones of the Blues.

Hey--The Bones of the Blues. Somebody should write that. Maybe they have and I just never heard it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 11:56 pm
@spendius,
I don't like the blues; I like the HAPPYS and the HARMONYS.

Blues are bad. HAPPYS are good.

Thus attesteth:
David
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 03:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Canada leads North America in economic freedom, tied with Australia for fifth spot globally; U.S. sinks to 18th in international rankings
Release Date: September 18, 2012

TORONTO, ON—Canada is among the top five most economically free countries in the world, well ahead of the United States which has fallen to 18th overall, according to the Fraser Institute’s annual Economic Freedom of the World report.

Canada, with an economic freedom score of 7.97 out of 10, tied with Australia to rank fifth out of 144 nations and territories included in the Economic Freedom of the World: 2012 Annual Report. Last year, Canada ranked sixth overall.

"Canada’s relatively high level of economic freedom has resulted in stronger economic growth, higher income levels, and less pain from the global recession," said Fred McMahon, Fraser Institute vice-president of international policy research.

"Meanwhile, other nations embraced heavy-handed regulation and extensive over-spending in response to the American and European debt crises. Consequently, their levels of economic freedom decreased."

The United States, long considered a champion of economic freedom among large industrial nations, continues its protracted decline in the global rankings. This year, the U.S. plunged to 18th, its lowest-ever ranking and a sharp drop from second overall, the position it held in 2000. Much of this decline is a result of high spending on the part of the U.S. government.

Another illusion shattered Dave.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 05:35 am
@spendius,
Its not MY fault; I did not vote for Obama.

David
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 05:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
2008-12 is only 1/3 of 2000-12.

I think that all this empty boasting about how free we all are contributes to a loss of freedom. It is complaisant. It sits there tweeting whilst our freedoms are eroded.

No matter how free we are we should be forever complaining about how un-free we are.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 07:07 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
2008-12 is only 1/3 of 2000-12.

I think that all this empty boasting about how free we all are contributes to a loss of freedom.
It is complaisant. It sits there tweeting whilst our freedoms are eroded.

No matter how free we are we should be forever complaining about how un-free we are.
YES. That is a very good point.
Our quest to curtail, enfeeble and strangle
the jurisdiction of government shud be DYNAMIC!

Our money shud be emblazoned with the motto
that: "Personal LIBERTY and jurisdiction are INVERSELY PROPORTIONAL! "

David
spendius

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2012 08:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's quite amusing Dave for anyone who has read Veblen's Absentee Ownership and is familiar with Minderbinder's dictum about us all having a share and Henry Miller's obsession with the Uroboros symbolism.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 04:44 pm
Still waiting for the end of governmental secrecy promised by Wikileaks devotees in this very thread.

I guess it will arrive when Middle Eastern democracy flourishes as a result of the Arab Spring, and Occupy Wallstreet ushers in a new social norm in America as promised, in other threads, by many of the very same folks who presaged the enormous impact of Wikileaks.

Builder

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 04:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, you think the "BIG DUMBING DOWN" can be reversed in one generation?

There's already concern that marketing has been so successful that we've created a generation so self-centred and slothful, that there simply must be two new versions of i-phone/pad/map released every year.

What's gonna happen when the youth in China wise up, and nobody wants to work anymore?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:22 pm
@Builder,
The folks all enthralled by Wikileaks, the Arab Spring, and Occupy Wallstreet are not exclusively young.

I can pardon the youthful passion and naivety of young folks like Deist, but he has been joined by greyer heads that have fallen for and lauded this sort of nonsense for all of their lives.

Arrested development, not dumbing down.

Builder

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yes, I must admit that the real "stayers" in #ows are grey brigaders.

Kids today seem to have the attention span of frogs after feasting.

So much paranoia about who is infiltrating what and who is watching whom....

I don't think we'll all feel truly "safe" until the sky is littered with blimps and drones. Not that security cameras prevent crime, but they sure make for interesting viewing.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
That's quite amusing Dave for anyone who has read Veblen's Absentee Ownership and is familiar with Minderbinder's dictum about us all having a share and Henry Miller's obsession with the Uroboros symbolism.
OK, Spendius, u cawt me there.
I have no information concerning those matters.
U can specify what u had in mind, if the spirit of candor moves u to explain.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Still waiting for the end of governmental secrecy promised by Wikileaks devotees in this very thread.

You sure know how to twist things, Finn. Are you this dishonest in your business dealings too.

Quote:
I guess it will arrive when Middle Eastern democracy flourishes as a result of the Arab Spring,

You know that will never happen. The US doesn't want democracy for people. If it did it wouldn't have spent over a century installing thug dictators to help it steal other people's wealth. That doesn't seem to bother you either, the grand larceny. Come to think of it, even the rape, torture and murder of children doesn't bother you in the least.

Really, Finn, tell me, is it possible for a human being to be as amoral/immoral as you appear to be? You seem to thrill to it.
Builder

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 06:42 pm
@JTT,
He probably forgot that middle east democracy was effectively extinguished in the 1953 contrived ouster of Iran's democratically elected (and Time Man of the Year) Doctor Mahommed Mossedegh.

The despostic Shah was much more the flavour of leader the west required to further their aims, including the ruthless Savak "security" force.

Savak was the secret police, domestic security and intelligence service established by Iran's Mohammad Reza Shah with the help of the United States' Central Intelligence Agency (the CIA).[1] SAVAK operated from 1957 to 1979, when the Pahlavi dynasty was overthrown. SAVAK has been described as Iran's "most hated and feared institution" prior to the revolution of 1979 because of its practice of torturing and executing opponents of the Pahlavi regime.[2][3] At its peak, the organization had as many as 60,000 agents serving in its ranks according to one source,[4
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:24 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
He probably forgot that middle east democracy was effectively extinguished in the 1953 contrived ouster of Iran's democratically elected (and Time Man of the Year) Doctor Mahommed Mossedegh.

Not Finn, Builder, you must be mistaking him for someone else. Finn is much too honest to ever do something like that.
Builder

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:45 pm
@JTT,

Quote:
Not Finn, Builder, you must be mistaking him for someone else. Finn is much too honest to ever do something like that.

Then maybe he forgot the Iran-Contra affair? Or the Bay of Pigs? Or operation Northwoods?

Surely such an honest man can't be expected to remember everything?
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:57 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Then maybe he forgot the Iran-Contra affair? Or the Bay of Pigs? Or operation Northwoods?

Surely such an honest man can't be expected to remember everything?

In this Finn is hardly alone. As you might have noticed, there is a general reluctance among the American folks to deal honestly, or even dishonestly, with any of these events.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2012 07:59 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
In this Finn is hardly alone. As you might have noticed, there is a general reluctance among the American folks to deal honestly, or even dishonestly, with any of these events.

says the person who will not even tell us which passport he holds Drunk