Is Locavorism Just a Fad? Methinks Not

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 09:46 pm
A couple of centuries back, folks ate food that was grown quite close to where they lived. It seemed natural. But as time went by, they started yearning for food that was grown in other places but not theirs. They were able to get these, thanks to the progress in transportation technologies. Today, it has come to such a stage that most of what we consume (and it not just about food) are imported from regions far away from where we live.

To some extent, I guess you can justify consuming products that are not local. For instance, not every food that is healthy could be grown in any specific region alone. In addition, sometimes it makes sense for your region to grow what grows best there are barter these with products from other regions where they grow best.

In many other cases, I opine that locavorism makes tremendous sense, both to your health and pocket and to nature's! And let's not think locavorism is a fad, and I am not advocating locavorism because it brings down the cost of transportation and hence, the carbon footprint from a particular food product. As this Edit [Moderator]: Link removed, I also think locavorism is more about building a sustainable and prosperous community around you than just reducing the total energy costs of food items.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,278 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 10:15 pm
@altenergygeek,
It has been around for awhile, and it is not dieing out anytime soon. There is wide appeal here. we have

1) carbon foot print: with out the long transportation needs this food is more earth friendly

2) Safety: we trust people more the closer they are to us, in connection and distant. For darn sure it does not come from China

3) economic self interest: we buy from locals, who will re-spend it locally, perhaps benefiting us personally but for sure our friends, family and neighbors

4) Fresh: thanks to eliminating the long transit

5) Generally less corporate: giving the corporate class a "**** you" by avoiding them through dealing with local producers who sell direct feels very good.

6) connection to the land: when we buy local we often know exactly where the food was produced, something that was generally lost generations ago as food became mass producted and later corporatized.

7) control: with so much of what goes on around us out of control (and I'd say with the civilization dieing) we crave what control we can muster of our lives. It feels very good to be in control of which supplier gets our money, of where our money goes. It is a much different feeling than is handing money to Walmart or Safeway.

The downside is the additional cost in both money and time, which is significant. As we see with organic however consumers are willing to trade money and time for the benefits of local...even a devastating recession has not convinced significant numbers of consumers to abandon paying more for local or organic.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:10 am
@altenergygeek,
I'm in Ohio, so can be a locavore without too much problem. Not everyone has my options though.

I'm curious, what problems does bartering with people who grow something you want that is far away solve?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:42 am
This came up in another thread a while back, and both FM and i pointed out that you can feed New York city with the "hundred mile diet." Of course, it's application is limited. People in New York are still going to want bananas, cane sugar, coffee and a host of other products which cannot be grown within a hundred miles of the city. And that's true of Ohio as much as it is of New York.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 08:43 am
So, to answer the titular question, it may or may not be a fad, but if it is pursued, it is unrealistic to expect that everything people are going to want can be provided locally.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:08 am
@Setanta,
I basically like the idea of locovorism and do it when I can -- not militant about it but if I have a choice, I choose the closer one. In Ohio, I have a lot of options for stuff that was grown and/or made nearby. Not everything, though.

I don't drink coffee and can certainly live without bananas; I'd want sugar but there are other ways to get it than cane sugar. But I'm not at the point where I'd do without those things on principle.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:18 am
Well, beet sugar just don't stack up to cane sugar, and it's not as efficient, either. But although we can't get cane sugar within a hundred miles, we can still get it from the United States.

0 Replies