Actress Jeanne Crain dies at 78

caramel

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:54 pm
Oscar-nominated actress Jeanne Crain dies at 78

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Jeanne Crain, the winsome beauty who starred in lightweight 1940s romances and comedies and won an Academy Award nomination as the black girl passing for white in the controversial "Pinky," has died. She was 78.

Crain died of a heart attack at her Santa Barbara home early Sunday morning, according to her son, Paul Brinkman Jr. She appeared in 64 films and many television shows during her long career, playing opposite such stars as Frank Sinatra, Kirk Douglas and William Holden.

With her lovely features, slender, appealing figure and demure, feminine manner, she became a leading star in the wartime and postwar years. For faraway GI's she seemed the ideal girl back home. At 20th Century-Fox studio, her fan mail was second only to pin-up queen Betty Grable.

Crain's 1943 movie debut followed the Hollywood cliche: she appeared in a swimming suit beside a pool in the all-star "The Gang's All Here." She was elevated to leading roles in her next films -- "Home in Indiana," "In the Meantime, Darling." "Winged Victory" and "State Fair," which featured Rodgers and Hammerstein's only original score for a movie.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/14/obit.jeanne.crain.ap/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,015 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:01 pm
She also starred in a few westerns with people like Glenn Ford, I do believe. I like her. Can't recall the last time I saw her name anywhere.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:12 pm
Jeanne Crain
edgarblythe wrote:
She also starred in a few westerns with people like Glenn Ford, I do believe. I like her. Can't recall the last time I saw her name anywhere.

The last time was in 1972 movie Skyjacked. Here is her bio. at IMDb

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0002022/
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:34 pm
I like the old movies. She was one of my favorites, and I still watch her movies today.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:11 am
She was such a sweet woman, and a good actress.

I saw something interesting in the link:

Quote:
Crain's husband died in October

I have read, and have observed personally, that often, when couples are close, and one dies, the other one dies soon after.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 07:53 am
"Sweet" is the perfect word to describe her. While still in high school, I developed a crush on her from "Home in Indiana" in spite of her having to compete with Lon McCallister for my heart.
0 Replies