Vikings brought first native American to Europe

McTag

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 03:52 pm
@Setanta,

It's an old Celtic curse that I just made up tonight.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 04:00 pm
It's a good one, too . . . but shouldn't you be usin' bollocks, Darlin' Sir?
McTag

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 08:11 am
@Setanta,

Quote:
It's a good one, too . . . but shouldn't you be usin' bollocks, Darlin' Sir?

You're quite right. Now how did the fuller version of that old curse go again.....

"May the bean-sidhe grab your bollocks in her horny, scaly hand
And twist and twist till all your screams be heard throughout the land. "

Yes, that's it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 10:01 am
That's a fine curse, that is, Captain Darlin' . . . almost as good as "may Ian Paisley marry yer sister" . . .
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 07:08 pm
@Setanta,
Or Brad PAisley.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 11:30 am
@talk72000,
Maybe most people as you say consider Finland to be Scandinavian in common English usage,and also, Iceland, the Faroe Islands and Greenland are sometimes erroneously considered part of Scandinavia
Scandinavia is a region in northern Europe that includes Denmark and two of the Scandinavian Peninsula's nations, Norway and Sweden.
Swedish and Finnish are both accepted languages in Finland. But to say the Finns speak both Swedish and Finnish is not correct. There are many who do not speak Swedish as Swedish has not always been taught in the schools. I know a couple of Finnish ladies who do not speak Finnish.
Then there used to be Swedes who never spoke a word of Finnish, but they can now learn it in school.
5% of the Finns have Swedish as their mother tounge.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:41 pm
@saab,
The plane I took to Finland had to turn back for a last minute repair. The passengers were returned to the waiting area (this was 1976). Two men struck up a conversation. One had a slight accent, while the other spoke accentless American English.

Both were from Stockholm.
hingehead

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
@saab,
With a name like Saab I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than I - but you are talking in purely geographic terms - in cultural terms wouldn't Iceland be 'Scandinavian' because it was a Danish colony - Greenland too?

The same way Australia is 'anglo'?
talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:57 pm
@saab,
I had a Finnish landlady and she was very sweet.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:45 pm
@talk72000,
The Finns are great. They are the cleanest, tidiest people I have encountered . . . and, the most nationalistic
talk72000

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:48 pm
@plainoldme,
They invited me for Christmas many times.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:55 pm
@plainoldme,
I had a Finnish boss once, a real gentleman. He was a very fine photographer, gave me my first lessons. He was disgusted by the Canadian practice of leaving our flags up until they became rags. Apparently, that's not kosher in Finland, they take them down every night following true flag protocol. He used to rail on this subject endlessly...
plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:53 pm
When I was in Finland, people would say that something was better because it was Finnish. I was curious about what sort of mushrooms were in the soup. I asked the waitress who told me, "Is a yellow Finnish mushroom." They were chanterelles.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 01:17 am
@hingehead,
Yes, I am talking in geographical terms when I refer to Scandinavia. In cultural terms Iceland, Greenland and Finland belong to the Nordic countries.
Although the area is linguistically heterogeneous, with three unrelated language groups, the common linguistic heritage is one of the factors making up the Nordic identity.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 01:20 am
@plainoldme,
What does that prove except that they both were from Stockhom? Was one a Finn and the other a Swede or Dane or Norwegian or American or what?
saab

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2010 01:22 am
@Ceili,
I think that is the same within all Scandinavian countries. We take down the flag at night and up again in the morning. Or we use a streamer, which is allowed to be up day and night. We would never have a flag rag hanging.
JTT

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 03:55 pm
@Ceili,
A flag that can't handle the cold of the night, the relentless stream of the wind thru 'er threads is no flag at all.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 04:14 pm
@saab,
I used to work at a community club (booze, pokies, bingo, snooker) as a doorman and putting out/taking in the flag in at sunrise/sunset was part of the job - very important not to let it touch the ground. I believe we used to do it at school - but Australia must be getting slacker - I'm pretty sure we don't bring this one in at night:
http://images2.travbuddy.com/1323876_12052435782091.jpg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:31 pm
@saab,
They both spoke English so well that neither recognized the other as a Swede is what it proves. I've told this story for years. No one ever questioned it.
saab

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 03:00 am
@plainoldme,
If they did not know they were both Swedish how come you know?