Saddam Captured in Tikrit

petunia555555

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:09 am
E Brown: I agree with your statement about the insurgents, etc. The capture of this man is only one step to quieting the fighting there. The insurgency is not about love of Iraq, but hate of the "occupation."

I never believed, really that we should have gone there, but now we must STAY until there is a real government, hot a sham, that is strong enough to hold against all that will come against it. I heard a commentary recently that Iraq needed to be split into three countries: The northern Kurds, and I do believe they deserve to have their own state, the middle and then the southern Shiite. I don't know...could this be the only reasonable solution? They will never get along as they are now. No one trusts the other and each seem to have their own agenda.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:19 am
PDiddie wrote:
He looks like Bad Santa! Laughing Cool

LOL Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:32 am
I hope the symbolic victory doesn't replace others. This will have domestic repercussions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
I actually feel a little sorry for the SOB. I'm glad they caught him though. I find the photos they're releasing interesting.

Please don't put him in a santa hat.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:48 am
I am glad that Saddam has been captured. It is a good thing anyway you look at it.

However, it does not change the fact that GWB sent us to war there for the purpose of oil profiteering and American expansion into the middle east for more profits for Himself and the handful of people he works for.

It would be nice if we could now bring our assets, including our most important ones, the human beings that are there, and our money home to be used for our own country and to the benefit of our own citizens, but I don't see that happening because the profit isn't as great.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:50 am
You sure that's not Nick Nolte on another bender?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
cavfancier wrote:
You sure that's not Nick Nolte on another bender?

No, it's Charlie Manson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38104000/jpg/_38104234_manson150.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 10:12 am
Frankly, I'm not at all sure why the world should be peering into Saddam Hussein's mouth.

In any case, I doubt the world is any safer today than it was yesterday -- and I doubt the Iraqi people are truly any closer to establishing a democracy, in any meaningful sense of that word, than they were yesterday -- or last year for that matter.

Saddam will be tried and executed -- and his death will be portrayed as martyrdom by which rash, angry young Islamic men and women will be enlisted in the cause of what we in the western conceive of as "fundamentalist Islamic terrorism."

Chances are they would have been recruited under some other pretense -- so no big deal.

But make no mistake about it, the victors in this arrest were not the "coalition forces"; the Iraqi people; the cause of peace in the Middle East; or any of the various other humans now alive on planet Earth.

This is a personal victory for the two George Bushes and their immediate cronies -- and the shortsighted people who have tied their identity to the Bush bandwagon. All of them -- the Bushes; their handlers; the hangers-on --have managed to usurp the military might of the United States -- and used it in disgraceful and dishonorable fashion to extract vengeance in what they obvious conceive of as retribution of a personal affront.

Hey, don't get me wrong.

Be happy.

I am.

But if you actually "celebrate" this -- I'll give you something even better to celebrate.

I saved money on my auto insurance using......
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:10 pm
Reading about the conditions in which he was living, holed-up in an attic, it's hard to believe that he was organizing the resistance perpetrated against the coalition occupation.

I think the resistance is made up various different factions that have, for now, one common goal: the ouster of the foreign occupiers.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 01:02 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Reading about the conditions in which he was living, holed-up in an attic, it's hard to believe that he was organizing the resistance perpetrated against the coalition occupation.

I think the resistance is made up various different factions that have, for now, one common goal: the ouster of the foreign occupiers.

I don't think Saddam was leading the insurrection, except in a titular way; he was definitely inspiring it.

The guy allegedly organizing some of the resistance/insurgence is Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, one of the last of Saddam's right-hand guys uncaptured or killed.

This guy:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39508000/jpg/_39508791_izzat203_body_ap.jpg

The coalition has thought they've killed him a time or two, but he remains at large.

Although Infra is most accurate in saying that the various tribal factions -- Ba'ath, Sunni, Shi'ite, Kurd and others -- will begin fighting amongst themselves as well as against the coalition, for control of their country.

Tribal civil war and anarchy.

Just like Afghanistan. Just like Bosnia-Herzegovina (was).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:53 am
Caption this:

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/12/14/international/14cnd-saddam.7.184.jpg

I'll begin:

1. "Do you have any...'Good and Plenty'?"

2. "Is that pie?..."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:56 am
3. "Got any beer? I could really use one. Oh wait, I'm a Muslim."

4. "You must kill Sharon Tate, my children."

5. "This Mach 3 razor just ain't working for me."

6. "I should have never volunteered for Versace's new 'Derelichte' campaign...."
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:00 am
7. "Is this the sign up for Mall Santas?"

8. "Is the part of Moses already spoken for?"

9. "You're Kidding Me! Grunge is out? Damn!"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 09:16 am
Gettting a picture of Saddam Hussein looking like a street person: $100,000,000,000 -- give or take a few billion.

Makes the Bushes happy: Priceless!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:53 pm
"Who won the 'Survivor'? A woman, not the man? I was rooting for the smarmy little liar..."

"I'm still waiting to begin negotiations..."

"Will I be granted conjugal visits?"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
"Please, I am not 'Bad Santa' nor Billy Bob the acclaimed but crazy actor. Stop asking me for autographs!"
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
"May I please have some of the new boxer shorts that you found unopened at my palace-of-last? It is, uh, an emergency..."

"I'm still willing to negotiate..."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:05 pm
Next season on Carnivale........ management revealed.....
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:49 pm
Saddam to Bush - Get off my face
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:52 pm
"My other beard is a Porsche."
0 Replies