"A Christmas Story" quotes

Gromit

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:05 pm
My favorites:

"In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity, that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over lake Michigan."

"They looked at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. I could tell I was in imminent danger of overplaying my hand."

"We plunged into the cornucopia quivering with desire and the ecstasy of unbridled avarice."

"Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!
It was all over -- I was dead. What would it be? The guillotine? Hanging? The chair? The rack? The Chinese water torture? Hmmph. Mere child's play compared to what surely awaited me." Laughing

Do you have a favorite scene or quote?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,124 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Gromit

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:16 pm
I put this in Literature because of the book the film was based on.... Jean Shepherd's "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. " He was a very witty writer and this book is full of anecdotes and stories from his chilldhood growing up in the midwest, etc.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:18 pm
LOVE that book.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:05 am
I always liked the short pithy lines that summarized, by shepards unique voice, the sense of immediacy
l

We were just talking about the fact that we need a new seasons movie, narrated by someone who has a compelling voice, that has the potential to be a classic like Christmas Story.

Fa rA rA RA RAAAAAA RA RA RA RA
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 07:20 am
There was a PBS movie on the telly back in the late seventies/early eighties, based on In God We Trust and Wanda Hickies Night of Golden Memories.

It was called The Phantom of the Open Hearth. Our hero is a teenager, and the entral theme is a high school prom. The Ne-Hi lamp episode is in this show as well...

Man, would I like to see that again. Did a Google search on it a year back and... nuthin'.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:20 am
Seal, PBS has a catalogue and Stores in some malls across the country. You might want to try that.

Well, I guess It's obvious that "A Christmas Story" one of my faves. Never read the book but I love the scene in th movie where he gets his tongue stuck on the flag pole. Anyone who grew up in a cold climate has to relate to that! I think every kid has tried that! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

SqUeAkz

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:12 pm
"Where the red fern grows" I love the last page where tells the reader he hasnt been back to the ozarks.....
0 Replies