I Have A Comic Book Confession

djjd62

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:35 pm
30 some years ago i was a comic book junkie, and DC was my drug of choice, i read Marvel (X-Men, Spiderman, Daredevil) but the scale tipped heavily in DC's favour

around 1990 i pretty much stopped buying single issues and started buying graphic novels, in the last few years i've come to a shocking conclusion, DC mini series suck, the story are good, but the actual presentation of them is horrible

since the 90's dc has had an ongoing series based on a crisis in the comic book universe, it was discovered that the universe was actually a multiverse, the writers were trying to clean up the history of the characters, and this multiverse and its influence on the one true timeline spanned about 7 major story lines and about 17 years

now in each of these story lines, there would be a central story arc, usually consisting of 7 - 12 comic books that told the main story, with other DC titles bulking up the story

Marvel has done similar story arcs recently Civil War, Secret Invasion and Siege, again a main story arc supported by characters monthly titles

now, here's what i've noticed, the DC main story arcs rely heavily on the supporting monthly books, so much so that if you only read the main books collected in graphic novel form (as i mostly do), a lot of the time a major plot point will have taken place in one of the supporting titles, making it harder to follow a storyline some times, this doesn't happen in the Marvel books (at least not the ones i've read), the monthly titles might flesh out the main story but i never felt that i was missing something if i only read the main marvel story arcs, and if i read any of the supporting titles they only added to the enjoyment

so is this one time DC fanboy now a Marvel fanboy, i still love my DC characters but, Marvel demands less buck for my bang (pow, zap) these days
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,187 • Replies: 1
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 05:49 pm
@djjd62,
Comics are too expensive for me. Plus, too time consuming, if you have to follow so many titles just to keep up.
I grew up collecting comics. I hated to let go. These days, I just follow the newspaper style comics. Which is a whole nother universe.
0 Replies