Peace within, never without!

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:31 am
My mind races through portals all day long as I try to grasp the complexity of the world around me. I have a clue. I just don't know it yet. My mind is my last authority on anything I feel is important. Everything else is a pipe-dream or a field of four-leaf-clovers at best. I could simply relish in my own greatness, but I know that there is more of me to become. It scares me. A little. Maybe not. I am what I am.

I find little comfort in the trivial matters that everyone else seems to stress over. Peace can be found in the middle of a war as your sergeant's silhouette is highlighted by the explosions and the tracers being fired down range. Peace can be found in the middle of the day while you're working on your tenth cup of coffee and eighteen students are demanding your attention at once. Peace can be found as your daughter attacks your leg and your son jumps to your arms after a long day. Peace can always be found!

It is a harsh reality that life can end or take a terrible turn at any moment. Life never guarantees anything. It is a workaholic. It happens while you sleep. It happens and it just keeps on happening, never waiting or giving you a chance to catch-up. You have to figure out how on your own. People may try to help you, but they can't live your life for you. Peace can be found in your own mistakes.

The world may be so self-involved in its own web of chaos, havoc, and blow-your-mind down-right nothingness, but it's all just a matter of time when tomorrow's things become important and the "have-tos" of today are wrong. Sour minds who can't seem to comprehend that it is hysterical to take yourself so seriously will one day lose the life they fought so long and hard to keep perfectly preserved and they will not have had any fun to speak of. Promises that fade from crooked lips when the person has received his or her due will one day drop from our hearts and consciousness as insignificantly as a drop of water into the ocean. And my hunger for life will be as full as that ocean while the meal they put before me will serve as good of a purpose as giving a tic-tac to a whale.

Jump into the river. Eat your grandmother's fruitcake. Climb a tree. Take in a sunset. Pet a dog. Make your mother proud and finish off the leftovers. Drop from the sky with a jumpmaster approved parachute. Walk. Run a mile just to do it. Read a book. Write an honest, no holds barred poem. Coach Special Olympics. Serve food at the Salvation Army. Body surf the Rappahannock. Step out of the sky and onto the ground. Then, step off of the ground and into the sky. You'll take some bumps and bruises along the way. But, never let them take the life out of you.
http://www.intergate.com/~michaelallen/ME_1X2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:49 am
Good advice. Now the hard part is making it happen. ALL that you say takes planning and, in many cases, some permission. viz.

Im up early cause there is a pair of eagles that have taken daily residence in our woods. In order to guarantee them some peace from the lookenpeepers, we have to go watch and document that they may be into nestbuilding. if thats the case the Stadt will require me to cordon off about a 1000 ft circle around the nest and i will need permission to go to my own field to watch the sunrise until the eaglets fledge. i will not be able to plow and plant within this area, for which i get reimbursed a whopping 200 bucks an acre
but, i hope they do nest it would be a major event around here..
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:44 am
No kidding. I'd love that too. It would be great to get some pictures posted on here if it happens. Is that possible?
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:42 pm
farmerman wrote:
Good advice. Now the hard part is making it happen. ALL that you say takes planning and...

Everything does. Anything worth working into a masterpiece anyway.

Take the Buddhists for example. They have certain principles. And for each one, they have an exercise that helps them learn it. The exercise might only take about 5 seconds to perform. But, the repetition will be thousands upon thousands for several hours a day, for up to seven years for some of them. That's putting in some major time.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:23 pm
i can achieve a zen like state driving a tractor and further, achieving strait rows behind me. Its like creating order and symmetry. very very peaceful.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 03:56 pm
I get a real high just taking my pack and heading to the mountains. After I string my hammock up between a couple of trees and my poncho up above it, I'm ready for the greatest relaxation. I can't get that comfortable anywhere else. One time, I was at a mountain lake. That was kick a$$.
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:14 pm
Excellent advice. Contentment is something I search for, but I'm not sure if I really desire it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:01 am
I prefer the comfort of being near water, but sadly, I don't have that option. I do enjoy watching the sun rise, and now that it's winter, I can sleep in before it happens. Smile Also the dog gets lots of pets. As a chef, textile sensation and combinations of texture are as important as combinations of flavour. The dog has killer soft fur, and it's always a joy. When I'm in cooking mode, the rest of the world completely leaves me, although I still maintain a Zen control over staff and timing, without even thinking about it.
0 Replies

Morning Pages

Reply Thu 25 Dec, 2003 04:51 pm
I could not agree more whole-heartedly. I too, have discovered the peace in not taking myself so seriously. Focusing on the present has allowed me to "jump" into places I would not have delved before, since I was too afraid it would risk my rigid existance. I too, have discovered peace in some of the tiny things that have shown me to live in the now, abandon the yesterday and leave tomorrow until then. Peace is found in looking at how incredibly I am taken care of, surrounded by beauty and missing the moments that pass by when my spinning mind is intangled with the worlds chaos. If you question what you can do, how realistic these dreams are, or whether you could discover peace there... try, take a risk.
0 Replies