O Death

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:03 pm
I was just listening to the Ralph Stanley version of one of my favorite Appalachain songs from the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, and I got to thinking....say you did have a run-in with the grim reaper, and actually wanted to live. How would you debate for your freedom? I am a fan of how Bill and Ted did it in their second movie, a la classic board games, and Twister, but what would your plea be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,810 • Replies: 24
No top replies

john treanor

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:14 pm
i heard somewhere that there are more people alive today then have ever died Care to coment ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:29 pm
Nope, not my department! Laughing
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:51 pm
john treanor wrote:
i heard somewhere that there are more people alive today then have ever died Care to coment ?

I find it hard to believe. But, at the way numbers astound me, I would not count the claim out.

Have you ever heard the one about choosing between half a million dollars or one cent every day doubled each day for a month? Of course the second option means that on the first day you get a penny, the second day you get two, the third day you get four and so on. Assuming the month we are concerned with is exactly 30 days. The second option adds up to $5,368,709.12. Numbers are amazing. My point is that no mathematical calculation would surprise me. I would not dispute your claim.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 10:56 pm
Okay, in order to not get totally off track before this thread even starts, the question is: If confronted by the grim reaper, how would you choose to bargain for your soul. All in fun, btw.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:08 pm
But, to get back to Cav's original question. Let me just say first, I probably wouldn't offer any argument in all reality.

But, as you say, assume I want to live, it actually took quite a bit of thought at great length. What would make me so special as to argue that my presence on earth is needed? What would change the mind of the one who came to end my existence as I know it? I can hear some real numbskulls saying, "Heaven won't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over."

I really don't know what the ultimate value is to death or to life for that matter. What argument would actually impress?

"I have more work to do. I haven't quite finished saying all the things that need said, doing all the things that need done...etc. I haven't completed my part in this massive machine. As a river in the ocean, I hadn't even begun yet. I hadn't yet begun to forge my path."

And I would say it hardly feeling the truth of it myself.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:20 pm
MichaelAllen, I have personally been impressed with practically all of you posts. You sound very balanced, and I would agree with your opinion here. I absolutely do. However...just to clarify, this whole thread was inspired by Monty Python's 'salmon mousse' sketch, and by Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. If it had been a serious question, I would have put it in Philosophy and Debate, not General. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a free-range mind sometimes. I just wanted some humourus responses. You have raised enough interesting points to make this a serious thread. Maybe I will start a new one with a more pointed question.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:35 pm
I don't think I would want to plead for my life, not because I woudln't want to live, but because I hate begging. I hate making peoplle feel like they have a power over me. So.. I probably would just go with him.
But if I had to answer...
"Three of my friends are on the verge of commiting suicide... if I die they will be sure to follow. If you want to take the lives, then you don't want them taking their lives for you... so let me live and that won't happen"

it's very concieted to say my friends would kill themsleves without me, and thats not what i mean... i mean if they were to know another friend hd died, all hope they had left would disintegrate... i know this because they have told me... Rolling Eyes

the answer isnt anything great haha but yea thats the best i've got!
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

cavfancier wrote:
MichaelAllen, I have personally been impressed with practically all of you posts. You sound very balanced, and I would agree with your opinion here. I absolutely do. However...just to clarify, this whole thread was inspired by Monty Python's 'salmon mousse' sketch, and by Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. If it had been a serious question, I would have put it in Philosophy and Debate, not General. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a free-range mind sometimes. I just wanted some humourus responses. You have raised enough interesting points to make this a serious thread. Maybe I will start a new one with a more pointed question.

Oh! OK, I'll give that a shot.

Hey, listen Grim. Just now, I was right in the middle of posting something to A2K. You're just going to have to hold your horses. Meet me at the crossroads.

Or

I know I can't be the only one on your list tonight. Save me for last, my show isn't over yet.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

SEX!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 11:37 pm
FOOD?.......Food or SEX???....whatever you want to let me live.....lol
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 02:38 am
I have to do my nails, so back off ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 02:53 am
I have made so many messes & would like the chance to fix some of them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:37 am
C'mon Mr Reaper - why you always gotta be so GRIM already? Let's go have a few laughs, a few drinks - I know this little place where they mix a cocktail so dry it'll make your scythe pucker and so smooth it'll iron your cloak..... Hey - you got me, ok? I know it, you know it - I gotta go - but what's the hurry - we got forever, right? That's the way - here, lemme give you my olive... Ya know, speaking of olives, lemme tell you a little story - about this dude - this greek dude - who could play so well all the birds and animals used to come to hear him - lemme get you another drink - howsa 'bout this scotch? 25 years old if it's a day - so smooth and soft it'll put flesh on your dry bones...another? Sure....oh, the Greek dude - well, his name was Orpheus, right? And he loved this woman, Eurydice sooooo much - more scotch while you listen? Howsabout a rusty nail - never had one? Why, that's a crime - there you go.....

you get the picture?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:38 am
ok, ok - it's not funny! Picky! Funny you want when it's my life I am trying to save...oy veh!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:06 am
dlowan, sounds like you have gotten many guys drunk at the bar! Laughing That's a good one, if the Reaper is male, he'll fall for it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:11 am
Sorry, Mr. R. You must have mistaken me for someone else! Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sorry, Mr. R. You must have mistaken me for someone else! Laughing

Laughing That's a good idea!

I wouldn't go down begging, that's for sure. If his job were to do things that people don't want to happen- like death-, then I'd use reverse psychology, pretend to be suicidal; he will say, stroppily, 'well, I won't kill you then.'

Or I could let him into the secrets of Manipulating Friends and Frightening people. In exchange for my life, this ten-step plan will soon make the mere (insecure) GR into a dictator that could frighten Satan himself.

Or, I could bring 'round my troop of 57 Ukranian wenches, who think that I am the leader of the Second Cultural revolution, and say 'well, they've been known to give favours....'

Or I'd use the Bill and Ted prototype and make a game whose rules are only known by me. Think a mixture of Greco-Roman wrestling and 'Cups.' I would win, but would promise not to tell anyone as long as he let me live.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:35 am
Well, Cav. They say that music soothes the savage breast, so I guess I'd try my best lullaby(the one sung by the sirens) and then I would quietly and gently remove the scythe from his deadly grip so that I would not get reaped. Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:45 am
Let me live, Mr. Reaper. Take Cav instead.
0 Replies