Asus laptop not booting up right

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:02 pm
I bought an Asus notebook late in March 2010. Almost exactly 3 months later, it wouldn't start up - when I turned it on, it showed the Asus screen and didn't budge from there. I brought into the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they had no trouble starting it up. They found viruses on it, but didn't think that they were causing the problem. Everyone I spoke with said, grimly, "It sounds like a motherboard issue," and shook their heads sadly. Until tonight, the problem hasn't recurred.

Today the Asus screen refused to give way to a normal boot up again. It seemed to be preceded by general slowness. I removed and reinserted the battery which seems to have fixed the problem. I'm running a virus scan (Norton) and will back up important files.

Any comments or tips? Should I send it back for a new motherboard/battery pack? Should I just depend on this remove/replace battery technique for a few months until things get worse?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 8,126 • Replies: 20
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:05 pm
@littlek,
not sure about the actual problem,but i'd try and get a diagnosis and fix while it's still under warranty
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:09 pm
@littlek,
Did you buy it from Best Buy or from asus.com or elsewhere?

If it is a motherboard issue and it's not even 9 months old then the whole computer needs to be replaced. Motherboards on laptops can't really be replaced like in desktops. Demand from the seller they replace the laptop with a NEW computer and not a refurbished one at that.

Don't keep using the remove/replace battery technique for a few months until things get worse idea then by the time the motherboard completely fails your warranty will be expired.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:11 pm
Yes as to warranty. The whole computer is good for a year. The motherboard is good for 3 years.

I bought the laptop at best buy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:12 pm
I think I will try to log a support email with the Asus website for a 'paper trail'.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:19 pm
@littlek,
I would say listen to stephan and quit being so understanding of the company that made a bad computer. Go for replacement while the warranty is still good.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:50 pm
I put in a support question. I'll see what they say......
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:54 pm
@littlek,
STICK IT TO THE man LittleK!! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:56 pm
I will attempt to <grin>
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:58 pm
@littlek,
It could als0 be a problem with the hard drive and if you know anyone with the program from GRC by the name of Spinrite have him or her come over and run it.

Wonderful program for finding problems and repairing same on hard drives and I would not be without it.

I would suggest you buy a copy but it is not cheap somewhere in the order of 80 dollars or so.

Oh it normally boot from a CD/DVD that your netbook will not have but it can be set up to boot from a memory stick.
littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:18 pm
@BillRM,
I have a recovery disc.... actually - 3 of them.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:28 pm
@littlek,
Good. I'm pretty sure that will obliderate any data you've got, but exhaust all possibilities - then STICK IT TO THE MAN.

Just in case it isn't the motherboard, have you run a complete scan with your virus program?
BillRM

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:29 pm
@littlek,
Does your netbook have a CD/DVD drive or do your have an external CD/DVD player?

My netbook came with a reinstall disk also but no drive to used it with however I had picked up an eternal drive for the little guy.

In any case if you can find someone with the spinrite program I am sure he or she can run it one way or another on your system and it will check and repair any problem on your hard drive that may be causing your problem.

As your netbook is under warrent and you had not stated that there is any non-replaceable data on it if you have no friends who own a copy of Spinrite I would just ship the netbook back to them.

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:46 pm
@roger,
yes - the virus scan turned up nothing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:48 pm
@BillRM,
cd/dvd player - internal.

It's under warranty. Right now I'll wait the two days until they get back to me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 08:43 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
Today the Asus screen refused to give way to a normal boot up again. It seemed to be preceded by general slowness. I removed and reinserted the battery which seems to have fixed the problem. I'm running a virus scan (Norton) and will back up important files.

When my laptop does that, it's usually because it has overheated. If heat is also the reason for your laptop's problem, you probably solved it just by powering off your machine for long enough to cool down. By contrast, running a virus scanner would probably not help and may make things worse in the short run. (Virus scanners are rather intense on the hardware and may contribute to further overheating.)

One preventive measure I use is to place my laptop on top of two books---one on each side---making sure they don't block the fan. That way, hot air doesn't get backed up between my computer and my desk. And cold air can enter my laptop where the fan can suck it past hot components.
BillRM

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 08:50 pm
@Thomas,
For laptops they sell little platforms with small fans build in but I myself do not think this it is a heat problem and as it is under warrenty should be return in any case.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 09:33 pm
@Thomas,
My laptop rests on a wicker basket-box. I felt for heat - it didn't seem all that hot. In the past, I tried rebooting over a couple days (thinking it might be hot).

I got a message back from Asus. I'm not sure that the person responding understood what I was saying. For example, in my message I mentioned that taking the battery out and putting it back in fixed the problem. I surely have a hard time understanding everything he or she is saying. Here's a sample:

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
For your issue, my friend, please power on the laptop via just the battery or AC adapter for a try.
If it does not work, please try to remove the battery and power cord, hold on the power button for 30 seconds at least, then plug the power cord and try again.
If it is vain, did you connect external devices when booting, if you did, please try to remove all the external devices. Well, did you upgrade memory? If you did, please remove the added memory for a try.
If it no helps, I’m afraid you’re experiencing a hardware issue. I kindly suggest you contact our service center, and our engineers would help you check and fix it, please fill-out the online form to request a RMA order.
roger

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 10:48 pm
@littlek,
Well, that answer was right on target. Follow the instructions in the last two sentences.

ETA: The RMA is "Return Merchandise Authorization".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:13 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
I surely have a hard time understanding everything he or she is saying.

The letter, "my friend", sounds like a copied and pasted template originating from some tech support contractor in India. That would explain why it shows no signs of having read the specifics of what you were telling them. It asks you, and the other 234,579 people they sent it to, to check for frequently occurring hardware problems. If your checks come up with nothing, it concludes you're having an obscure hardware problem, and suggests that you return your laptop. I agree that returning it seems a good idea at this point.
0 Replies