Truth is a choice

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
The only thing I know off about information is that it fits a place in the relation, a rightful place...Its relativeness as justification is the very same which makes it absolute !
(The "soul" of its be-ing is to be in its rightful place...context.)
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:59 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Absolute truth is a belief, an ideal. Nothing is absolutely true without reservation or modification.

The belief of an absolute truth would be the perceived absolute truth and not the absolute truth itself. That statment is just one part of the whole answer. There is an absolute truth for everything, we just can't ever know what it is because we are human and at the base of everything we know is just a bunch of nothing. We can't have any idea that we're even going in the right direction on anything but that doesn't matter. It's the pursuit of truth that matters, not what that truth is. So absolute truth does exist, it's just that it's a pointless idea.
Fido

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:07 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

First off, truth is an attribute of information. But there is no information that is absolutely true, meaning that it can be said simply so that there is no need to specify further or make amendments to the initial statement.
So it is a moral form, like life, or existence whose definition and meaning is uncertain...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:09 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Sometimes, if you skip from one conceptual level to another, it is easy to make errors and arrive at misconceptions.
So what??? No definition means no conception... So; what is truth??? The truth is something we need enough of to survive, something that is our due, and something that if denied to us does us an injury...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:22 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

Cyracuz wrote:

Sometimes, if you skip from one conceptual level to another, it is easy to make errors and arrive at misconceptions.
So what??? No definition means no conception... So; what is truth??? The truth is something we need enough of to survive, something that is our due, and something that if denied to us does us an injury...

The essential of what can be said of truth for me is precisely that we can´t deny who we are...
Chights47

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:22 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

I don't quite believe that, it's somewhat true though. We don't need truth to survive, we just need to 'believe' something is true. It doesn't matter whether it is really true or not, just something that we can invest ourselves in and have something to stand for. I do think that believing in something (regardless of what it is) is almost a requirement for life...at to truly live one that is.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:31 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

Fido wrote:

I don't quite believe that, it's somewhat true though. We don't need truth to survive, we just need to 'believe' something is true. It doesn't matter whether it is really true or not, just something that we can invest ourselves in and have something to stand for. I do think that believing in something (regardless of what it is) is almost a requirement for life...at to truly live one that is.

No...that which is in its proper context "works"...and that´s the truth to it so far we can wonder about truth...
You survive not because you want it to be true but because at your level and layer when it works it works...
Bottom line you speak of motivation but that´s an entirely different matter...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:23 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
There is an absolute truth for everything, we just can't ever know what it is because we are human

Truth is a human invention, relevant only within human relations with eachother and the world we percieve.
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:37 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
There is an absolute truth for everything, we just can't ever know what it is because we are human

Truth is a human invention, relevant only within human relations with eachother and the world we percieve.

I disagree

truth is about the truth about the things living and non-living things around us , knowledge gained from the enviroment

for instance some plants are poison to us

and mercury is poison to us
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:41 pm
@north,
That doesn't even remotely come into conflict with what I said and you disagree with.... It just supports it...
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:43 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

That doesn't even remotely come into conflict with what I said and you disagree with.... It just supports it...

how ?
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:45 pm
@north,
Quote:

Thats how. Remove "to us" and plants and mercury is irrelevant.
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 04:52 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

Thats how. Remove "to us" and plants and mercury is irrelevant.

don't get you here , explain further
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:03 pm
@north,
Like I said. Truth is a human invention. It relates to what we know and what we experience. Remove us, and truth is a non-issue.
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:14 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Like I said. Truth is a human invention. It relates to what we know and what we experience. Remove us, and truth is a non-issue.

why if you remove us does truth suddenly become a non-issue ?

the poison of the plant or the chemical make of the planet is still the same

same with mercury
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:23 pm
@north,
There will be no one to categorize it as poison, so it will not be true that it is poisonous. The chemical effect it has on humans will be a non-issue since there are no humans to have the experience.
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:30 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

There will be no one to categorize it as poison, so it will not be true that it is poisonous. The chemical effect it has on humans will be a non-issue since there are no humans to have the experience.

true

but the chemistry of the plant and mercury STAYS the same

a truth
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:41 pm
@Cyracuz,
There is at least one absolute truth and I would suspect that there are many more but I do try to stay away from absolute truths because I have seen what it can do to people that get it wrong!

Example: http://www.ocdonline.com/articlephillipson6.php
Chights47

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:43 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I agree if your stating that for personal truth and perceived truth. By stating only that however, it seems as if you are denying any possibility of an absolute truth. If you are, then how could anything be false. The only way something can be false is if there's a truth to compare it to. If there's no real truth which makes it so there's nothing false, then how can there be conflicting ideas that are both true? The only way I can see this logic making any sense to me would be if you taking a metaphysical solipsism approach on this.

Truth as the human invention is just a term used to try and convey a meaning of what we believe to exist. In a close-minded world, everyone is correct in what they believe. There are, however, conflicting ideas. If there are conflicting idea's, then how could both be right? Wouldn't one be right and one be wrong, regardless of whether we know which is what? I'm afraid that I don't really see the logic in that...unless you plan on trying to say that individuals live in separate, parallel universes with their own laws of logic and their own truths . . . I'm not prepared to go there ;-)
north

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

There is at least one absolute truth and I would suspect that there are many more but I do try to stay away from absolute truths because I have seen what it can do to people that get it wrong!

Example: http://www.ocdonline.com/articlephillipson6.php

reasoning logic , hi

there are many absolute truths , its just that for now , for most , grasping onto one truth is difficult enough