Recommend a film book!

kenji

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:46 am
May still be time before Xmas. I've just opened one present early. The wrapper was ripped and i could glimpse the title; 1001 Movies You Must see Before You Die- selected and written by leading international critics. This gives a superb wide-ranging overview of Cinema, and the selections and writing (these are critics who do know their stuff) are excellent.

It covers older classics, silents, modern Hollywood blockbusters, documentaries, animation, independent, avant-garde, and numerous "foreign language" films from many countries and areas. Definitely a must; whether for an obsessive cinephile, or occasional moviegoers looking for general guidance and to expand their interest and horizons.

The surprising absence of certain international classics- Charulata, Yojimbo, Alexander Nevsky, Life of Oharu, Claire's Knee, Kings of the Road (Wenders, Rohmer and Mizoguchi are all slightly under-represented, should have another couple each)- is a minor quibble as no list can ever be perfect, though this is the best i've come across yet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 1
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 11:06 pm
Out of Africa is my recommendation, simply because I was able to visit Karen Blixen's coffee plantation in Kenya several years ago, and I bought my book at her plantation-museum book store. I bought the video after I read the book. The book is much better as are most novels made into a movie. I also read Death on the Nile, because I was also able to visit Agatha Christi's suite at the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan where she wrote the book. Also purchased the tape after reading the book. The movie was quite good with a great cast.
0 Replies