Ebert's GREAT MOVIES, Part 7: "The Night of the Hunter"

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:49 pm
Possibly an homage?
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:15 pm
raggedyaggie<

I would think "The Night of the Hunter" would have more impact if viewed today than when it was first released.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 10:38 am
williamhenry: In terms of shock value/impact, my first thought was that Night of the Hunter might seem "old hat" by today's standards -- that the taboo subjects of 1955 (explicit female sexuality,the darker side of religion, innocent children being used as victims, to name just a few) which were shocking at that time, might seem "par for the course" by today's standards. But after reading Ebert's review and others, I realize that Night of the Hunter has not become dated and is now considered a film classic. Speaking for myself, though, I don't think it could ever affect me as deeply upon a second viewing as it did in a nearly empty theater in 1955. Seeing "good guy" Mitchum for the first time in one of the most evil roles on screen didn't detract from the shock value either. Laughing

I'd like to correct an earlier post. Mitchum sang "Leaning, leaning, leaning on the Everlasting arm", and Gish sang the same hymn.

Bree: My curiosity is piqued. I hope Lightwizard can offer some assistance on your very interesting comment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 12:13 pm
I neglected to post the Internet Movie Database page on this film:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0048424
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2002 03:38 pm
I believe the film was addressing the dark side of fundamentalism -- how it can insidiously creep into the agenda of a religion.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:19 pm
I saw "The Night of The Hunter" last weekend. A very good film, indeed.

I find there are several moral tales intertwined in the film.

One is the denouncing of fundamentalist pharisees (Rev. Powell- Robert Mitchum) against the true Christians, represented by Mrs. Cooper (Lillian Gish). The "words of God" can be chilling.

Another is the attitude of the townsfolk, represented by Mrs. Spoon: the first on the line to defend the woolf in lamb's skin, always with a kind word, full of "common morals", but who bring no real help... and then are the firsts one in the lynching mob. A more common, but not less dangerous kind of pharisees.

We also may shiver with little Pearl's naiveté (also shown in a minor character). She knows Powell is evil, but he gives some kind of warmth. People are capable of going like lambs to the scaffold in exchange of a little love.

Yet another is played in the mind of Powell, with the dialogues with the Lord, the hatred towards women and children and the condemnation of sex.

And then, the endurance of children: their inner strength to accept life as it is... the Biblical underlying of the flight from Herod and the story of Moses...

In short, a multilayered, very exciting, sometimes chilling, terrific film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:28 pm
Good analysis of this multi-layered film, fbaezer (as if I wouldn't expect it from your keyboard!) I especially am tuned in on your realization about little Pearl and how it applies to any leader using this tactic. Isn't this like a deal that's too good to be true?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 04:56 pm
Come to think about it, for many years I wondered why so many of my countrymen and women kept on voting for the ever-promising, seldom-fulfilling party that governed us for 70 years, until I wasn't able to cast the stone. I voted for them once. They deluded me, of course.
0 Replies