Become a FreeMason

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:35 am
Anyone on here a FreeMason? I've been seeing commercials about these guys and didn't even know we still have freemasons around. Imagine my surprise when I did a search for locations closest to me and found three in my city, not to mention tons in the area.

Anyone familiar with this organization?

Unfortunately I cannot join because it is a fraternity. I'm gonna have to join the Order of Eastern Star.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 5,039 • Replies: 78

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:42 am
I'm surprised that you are surprised. The masons derive from the stone masons who travelled more or less freely in western Europe in the middle ages--a time when most people were serfs and didn't have that kind of freedom. Eventually, the masons founded a fraternal order, whose view points were informed by the natural liberalism of the original masons (liberalism in social outlook, that is not a reference to contemporary American political idiocy).

Many of the Founders were Freemasons, including George Washington . . .

http://www.traditioninaction.org/History/HistImages/B_007_LayCornerstone1.jpg

. . . that's an image of Washington in masonic regalia, laying the cornerstone of the capitol building in 1793.

Many of the loonier right-wing groups, especially among fundamentalist christians, now allege deep and nefarious plots among Freemasons, and in particular the Founders--alleging that SATAN took over the nation from the day one. It's easy to find their web sites, and they are often really hilarious. In particular, they seem to be outraged by the masonic symbols on the dollar bill.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:43 am
@Linkat,
I'll open with the obligatory Simpsons' reference:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/1183/the-simpsons-stone-cutters-song

Other then that I don't know anyone that is a member or the location of any lodges. At one period I flirted with the idea of joining the VFW or the American Legion. Joined one of them for a year or so (can't remember which) but I recoiled when I found it too conservative an institution that I couldn't bear continue supporting the organization.
Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:44 am
What the hell do the VFW or the Legion have to do with the Masons ? ! ? ! ?

My grandfather was a Freemason, and was buried with all the appropriate rites and regalia.
djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
@Setanta,
i love that ****, any coast to coast am radio show that talks about the masons and the illuminati has me hooked, funny stuff

i also loved william coopers (behold a pale horse) 40 hour babylon mysteries series, about the mystery religions and the masons

i used to listen to a view from space too
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
@Setanta,
I realize the history of freemason and where they originated from. I was unaware that is still a thriving organization.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Great - I don't watch the simpsons so I miss out on lots of valuable information.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:14 am
I've been a Freemason for about three years. I know of at least one other A2K' er who is a brother as well.

P.S. No I won't divulge the "secret handshake".
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:29 am
@LionTamerX,
I thought on the website that there was no secret handshake.

It seems as if FreeMason membership has gone up more recently - curious, do you know if that is true?
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 11:44 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I thought on the website that there was no secret handshake.

That's what they want you to believe.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Damn - now some one tell me the secret handshake!
LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:52 pm
@Linkat,
Membership has indeed been on the rise for the last decade or so.

P.S. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Ceili

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:53 pm
@Linkat,
Are you double jointed? I hear that's a requirement. Wink
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:36 pm
I used to work with a guy who's a freemason.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:38 pm
@LionTamerX,
It wasn't just the internet - I've seen lots of advertisement on TV for this organization that is why I was wondering if membership was up.

If you mean some of the negative stuff - I always take things with a grain of salt - partly why I posted here to see if anyone had insight to this organization. Overall what I get from it - is they do lots of charity work. I didn't realize that the Shriners were a part of this - I know they do lots of good work with children.
George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:47 pm
Ya wanna be careful o those mason guys.
They're just a front for The Knights Templar.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:08 pm
Then there are The Stonecutters.
Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Hey is that all you guys do is watch the simpsons - look up a few some one already included this.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:42 pm
@Linkat,
Oops, sorry for the repeat.

But there is no such thing as too many references to early 1990s Simpsons episodes.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:46 pm
They do tons for charity. My husband's father, who used to own two city blocks in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, was a Mason. Our son has his big beautiful ring.

I've read so much about this fraternity. The more one reads, the more confusing. I've quit caring. I've also read that the Templars sorta hid themselves among the Masons in America. Whooptedoo

1. Forums
  2. » Become a FreeMason
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:01:58