dog ate a luna bar with raisins, will this kill her?

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 07:44 pm
Would the amount of raisins in a luna bar be enough to kill or hurt my 15 lb shih tzu?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,407 • Replies: 5
No top replies

parados

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:46 pm
@tennesseegal11,
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

The above lists symptoms to watch for. If your dog starts vomiting you should probably see the vet.
parados

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:54 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Although many dog owners and dog trainers have traditionally used raisins and grapes as treats, RAISINS AND GRAPES IN LARGE QUANTITIES CAN BE LETHAL TO DOGS. As few as a handful of raisins or grapes can make a dog ill; however, of the 10 cases reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC), each dog ingested between 9 ounces and 2 pounds of grapes or raisins.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:09 pm
@tennesseegal11,
If you are really concerned, call your vet and ask if you should bring the dog in. That's what I would do. I personally wouldn't want to just wait to see if symptoms appeared.

When my dog was a puppy, I was unaware that raisins could be toxic and I used them as treats to help her learn some basic commands because they were one of the few things she enjoyed that she didn't get regularly. I never gave her very many of them, and, thankfully, she had no ill effects. Before that, I had owned a dog who loved grapes--and also had no ill effects from them. So, it may also be an individual matter how raisins and grapes affect dogs. Knowing what I know now, I'd never let any dog have either of those things, but dogs can get a hold of things they shouldn't have...

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:12 pm
While I agree you should call your vet, I also doubt that the amount of raisins in a Luna bar would be a problem even for a small dog. Of course, something else could be a problem. Luna bars are like multi vitamins - I'd be more concerned about a vitamin overdose than too many raisins.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 04:30 am
Raisins in excess can cause renal failure in a dog.
0 Replies