Canada Declares Fruitcakes As Dangerous

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:21 pm
Odd News - Canadian Press

Not even fruitcakes are welcome as carry-on baggage: security official
Tue Dec 9, 4:15 PM ET

MONTREAL (CP) - Holiday travellers are being advised to forget the fruitcake as carry-on luggage if they want to avoid delays when boarding planes over the holiday season.

The head of the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority said Tuesday about 500,000 prohibited items have been intercepted at Canada's 89 airports during the past six months.

Jacques Duchesneau said the public still isn't aware of what is allowed on board.

He said a lot of scissors and Swiss Army knives are still being confiscated along with toy guns, ice skates and flammable liquids in aerosol cans.

Duchesneau noted even fruitcakes will be X-rayed because they're dense and could hide a weapon.

"I guess you would be wondering why we have something against fruitcakes," he told a news conference, holding one aloft. "Well, not really.

"When seen through an X-ray machine it might represent something we might need to check. It's very dense. We don't take any chances."

Bottled liquids, such as homemade wine, will also be rejected.

Duchesneau said the only bottles allowed on planes are those with alcohol that have a government seal.

He added he was surprised when a passenger became upset when told he couldn't bring a parachute on board.

i laughing too much right now to say anything more Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,392 • Replies: 60
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:26 pm
Well you know what they say, the less fruitcakes on airplanes, the better. This Duschesneau is clearly a Quebecois....I believe something was lost in translation. Laughing
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:41 pm
What about those horribly rock-like scones at Starbucks? Those are weapons grade! Imagine what the would be ninja could do with those!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:45 pm
Wouldn't the citron in fruitcakes qualify as a dangerous weapon? It must be made of a condensation of artificial goo that has been nuked to a rock-like substance, capable of penetrating the toughest bullet-proof vest.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:48 pm
If somone puts a dangerous object in a fruitcake, it is probably a file for some guy in the slammer! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 05:50 pm
Yeah, in a grudge match, I'd bet on a Starbuck's scone over a Krispy Kreme any day. Also, as a proud Canadian, I have no objection to outlawing both fruitcake and homemade wine.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:08 pm
i wonder if they understand that you don't need to smuggle anything into a fruitcake. it's a weapon by itself.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:10 pm
A weapon of mass destruction, I might add.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:11 pm
as a non-canadian, i demand that black velvet whiskey be kept in canada. vile, vile stuff.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:14 pm
Quote:
A weapon of mass destruction, I might add.

More like a weapon of MASS CONSTRUCTION! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:19 pm
No problem, as long as you can take that Allanah Myles song 'Black Velvet' off the airwaves. Check this out:

http://www.lewbryson.com/tribcand.htm

The Gooderham & Worts, and Lot No. 40 are both very good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:25 pm
Awww. No one at all, no one, no one, likes fruitcake. Sigh. I make my own candied orange peel, make the really good recipe from Joy of Cooking, and soak the "bricks" in good cognac wetted cheesecloth. Sliced thin, the fruitcake is good. Whimper.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:32 pm
fruitcake does have it's uses. for instance, keep one in the trunck of your car. if you get a flat tire, and the spare is also flat, throw that sucker on. should last for a couple of miles.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:34 pm
i would bet that if you scrape off the road dust, rocks, etc. it's still edible, or unedible depending on your feelings on fruitcakes.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:41 pm
I knew it! I knew it!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:50 pm
Did you know that the oldest fruitcake in the world was found near Naj Al Hliff near the craters in Jordan. It was from a neolithic camp site. It was estimated at over 3400 years old.
It was wrapped up as a gift.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:50 pm
ossobuco has at least one point. If a fruitcake is soaked in enough booze, it's not so bad, and not so dense. However, give me rum baba instead, please.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:51 pm
Or apple baba....bathed in a good Calvados, with sauteed apples in the brioche...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:57 pm
Hmmm..am I the only Terry Pratchett fan to think that maybe Dwarf Bread and fruitcake are one and the same? Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 07:57 pm
now, Apple Baba - i might fight the airport gods to get some of that. Fruitcake, not so much.
0 Replies