The Voice of God

fdr84

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:31 pm
In the Bible, we read that God spoke audibly to many people. However, if you were to ask any Christian today about the voice of God, they quickly say that God speaks to us through the Bible and not audibly. I have a problem with that answer. Why doesn't God speak to us audibly? I have no problem reading the Bible but it would be nice to hear the voice of God. What is your view?

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 10:32 pm
@fdr84,
i love allegorical questions
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 03:23 am
@laughoutlood,
WHAT YOU MEAN "ALLEGORICAL" ? DOES GOD NOT HAVE A REAL VOICE ANYMORE ? WHY YOU THINK OF VOCALS ONLY ? CAN MUSIC NOT BE SEEN AS A VOICE ? Razz
Francis

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 03:35 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
If god spoke to people, I assume she (yes, god is a she) has a beautiful voice.

Similarly, she can see what we do, so I assume she has beautiful eyes.

I feel shortly I'm going to fall in love with god (maybe a love affair)...
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 09:01 am
@Francis,
on the contrary, the israelites were petrified of gods voice and asked that moses act as an inbetween.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 12:39 pm
That was the god they chose, and he was one mean sumbitch . . . they were right to be terrified.

I'm hoping that Francis will introduce me to his omniscient friend . . .
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Rather YH`WH was the God of Jacob and Isaac and Abraham blah etc, they were born to him, rather than chosen by them, God had a prophecy to fulfill through them, he wouldnt have wasted his time if not for the Abramic covenant. Based on thier integration into Egypt, there would have been many more appealing gods to choose from, as on many occasions they did, such as Ashtoreth, Qetesh and Gareth Ba`al. God was only terrifying because they kept p`ing him off.
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 01:22 pm
@Smileyrius,
You savor your delusions, and i'll think my way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 02:47 pm
The voice of god sounds remarkably like Cecil B DeMille. Next time they show The Ten Commandments on TV, watch it and learn.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 02:50 pm
@fdr84,
The Voice of God is a radio station in West Texas. 50kw a.m
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 03:48 am
Turn your radio on
Listen to the music in the air
Get in touch with God
Turk your radio on . . .
vikorr

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 12:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Turk your radio on . . .
Is this some kinky new fad? And have the Turks been approached about this?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2011 03:00 pm
A course not . . . you'd lose the element of surprise if they knew it was gonna happen . . .
0 Replies

dogdog

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:44 am
@Smileyrius,
"God was only terrifying because they kept p`ing him off."

Poor excuse. That's like saying my dad was only terrifying because I kept pissing him off. Being pissed is no excuse. When my dad pushed me down the stairs we call that abuse. When God burns an entire village we call that, what, fate? God's will? We hold people to a higher standard than we hold this God.

Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 07:49 am
@fdr84,
Another similar and equally funny aspect to the christian theology is that in the bible gods miracles were very extravagant and noticeable yet when you ask a christian for an example of a miracle that has happened recently they are petty and insignificant examples.

The reality is that god is a made up concept and one that many still can not seem to shake because they can not cope with reality the way it is.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2011 09:24 am
@dogdog,
That all depends on how you perceive justice. Your father does not have authority over your life, however a theoretical God would.

The question you raise, is "does God have the right to decide who lives and who doesn't" nothing more nothing less. The fact of the matter is that those that those who grant him the right to judge will say he is right, however those that do not believe he exists will be less inclined to consider him worthy to judge.

The part that I wont argue, is a theoretical God should he exist needs neither our acceptance nor our permission.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 05:14 am
Didn't Jesus say, "don't look up, look in"?

Those who believe God speaks to them through the bible probably do not consider the centuries of political manipulation those texts have been abused for. Even if the texts of the book were originally God's own words (an absurd notion in my opinion) what does that say about all the christians who have modified and edited them to fit their needs? The original texts are probably nowhere to be found today, or perhaps they are one of the closely guarded secrets of the Vatican, those text they hold in their vaults with the justification that releasing them would be devastating to their religion...............
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:34 am
@fdr84,
fdr84 wrote:

In the Bible, we read that God spoke audibly to many people. However, if you were to ask any Christian today about the voice of God, they quickly say that God speaks to us through the Bible and not audibly. I have a problem with that answer. Why doesn't God speak to us audibly? I have no problem reading the Bible but it would be nice to hear the voice of God. What is your view?
I think you will find that after Christ was crucified, God no longer spoke audibly to man as He once did.
vikorr

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 09:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
I think you will find that once this happened :
- God no longer slaughtered people willy nilly
- extravagant miracles dried up (after the apostles left)
- God no longer spoke audibly to people
- God was no longer a fearful God, but a God of love
- Angels appear to have stopped walking the earth
- Giants no longer walked the earth (though apparently stopped before Jesus)

In fact, most any evidence of an actual God disappeared with Jesus...and arguably, also with the coming of science.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 10:21 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

If god spoke to people, I assume she (yes, god is a she) has a beautiful voice.

Similarly, she can see what we do, so I assume she has beautiful eyes.

I feel shortly I'm going to fall in love with god (maybe a love affair)...

If god exists she would sound like...

Sarah Vowell.http://i48.tinypic.com/rrqfeq.jpg
0 Replies