0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:12 pm
Danke! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:14 pm
Speculaas, aaaaaaaaaah.

swimpy - that's amazing. I didn't know I was looking for your son last night!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:18 pm
Walter, thank you for those great webcam sites. The Christmas markets are so beautiful. Did you know there was a Christkindlmarket in Chicago?

See it here
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:27 pm
No, I didn't know that, Swimpy (although it doesn't surprise me much).
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 01:51 pm
Hmm. . . am I the only one who's not so keen on Glühwein? (and especially not GLUEHWEIN. . . ;-))
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 02:04 pm
princessash185 wrote:
Hmm. . . am I the only one who's not so keen on Glühwein? (and especially not GLUEHWEIN. . . ;-))

No, I didn't like it in "former times" and don't like the non-alcoholic version now (and in "former times", I really drunk everything!) :wink:
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 02:06 pm
hehe. . . maybe I've only had the sucky, homemade kind, but even that stuff in Munich leaves me, ironically enough, cold. . . :-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 02:09 pm
I do like all those spices, though .... in cookies, spekulatius, ... ...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:00 pm
hobitbob : "gerne geschehen!" - just so you don't think it means anything uncouth, it's the german version of : "you are welcome ". coming from the northern part of germany, there is also a somewhat stronger version of "gluehwein" preferred by by old seadogs on a really damp and chilly day; it's called "EISBRECHER" or "icebreaker" where you add a good shot of warmed RUM to this whole concoction. another winter-drink was (and still is in some pubs in northern germany) "GROG" (named after the british admiral vernon whose nickname was "old grog"); in this drink you substitute rum for the redwine - guaranteed to work like an antifreeze in your body during the coldest of weather. i only had a cup of hot tea just now; it's minus 10 celsius and 15 cm of snow are forecast. hbg.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 10:49 am
I've just been out to the back shed to dig out the shovels - so that i can shovel the snow that started overnight.

I suspect a hot drink will be needed later today. brrrrrrrrrrr, my fingers got very cold - mittens would have been a good idea.

Happy, errrrrr, 3rd advent!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:14 am
Glühwein sounds like what we call mulled wine. Warm, sweetish wine with cinnamon and other spices. Am I correct?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
Yes, seems to be very similar - however, only Glühwein is Glühwein Laughing
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:15 am
yeah, exactly, swimpy. . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:17 am
BTW: Swimpy, where did you find that 'ü' on your keyboard :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:22 am
ooh, do tell. that would be nice for hamburger. he'd be able to type his real name properly then.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:30 am
On mac computers, you type alt+ u + the key you want the umlaut over. . . it is hypothetically possible, then to make all sorts of umlauted words. . . very fun :-)

I've heard from a couple people that a2k doesn't print umlauts too well coming from windows computers. . . but you type in a variety of key combos. . . I'm looking for a page on german.about.com that has a german keyboard article. . .
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:31 am
here we go:

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa032398.htm

there's a chart, and info on making ß and Ä and so forth :-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:35 am
And after you gave him (hamburger, I mean) princecessash's link, he may like this one as well (I know, he isn't THAT old :wink: )

Sütterlin
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 11:38 am
oooh. . . I ran across that link a couple years ago, Walter. . . I haven't yet tried to submit a paper in said font, though I harbor the idea in the back of my mind. . .

maybe for next semester's Deutsche Gedichte course?
0 Replies