What do you prefer fresh milk directly from cow or from supermarket

matus

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 09:58 am
I wanna ask what do you prefer milk from supermarket or fresh milk from cow directly to you? And of course fresh milk would be cheaper.

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:02 am
In many jurisdictions in North America (probably most), "raw" (i.e., fresh) milk cannot be sold to the public.

Is this some kind of marketing ploy on your part?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:05 am
animal milk is meant for baby animals. Not humans
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:07 am
@shewolfnm,
true, but the last time i tried get a litre of breast milk i got slapped
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:14 am
@matus,
I am udderly indifferent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:15 am
You're goin' to hell for bad puns, too . . .
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:49 am
@Setanta,
it was a decent joke, i tittered
plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 10:59 am
@djjd62,
I chuckled as well.

Seriously, I do go to a farm in Ashfield, MA, which I consider the perfect small town, to buy raw milk from grass fed cows when I can.
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:01 am
@shewolfnm,
Human breast milk is far far too sweet however not bad tasting.

Still keeping a lactating human female around can be costly for a numbers of reasons.
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:03 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
to buy raw milk from grass fed cows when I can.

You do know you can die from drinking such as Henry Ford son did?
BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:11 am
Unpasteurized Milk Poses Health Risks Without Benefits, Study Shows
ScienceDaily (Dec. 18, 2008) — With disease outbreaks linked to unpasteurized milk rising in the United States, a review published in the January 1, 2009 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases examines the dangers of drinking raw milk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milk and dairy products are cornerstones of a healthy diet. However, if those products are consumed unpasteurized, they can present a serious health hazard because of possible contamination with pathogenic bacteria. An average of 5.2 outbreaks per year linked to raw milk have occurred in the United States between 1993 and 2006—more than double the rate in the previous 19 years, according to co-authors Jeffrey T. LeJeune and Päivi J. Rajala-Schultz of the College of Veterinary Medicine in Columbus, Ohio.

Contamination can occur at the time of collection, processing, distribution, or storage of milk, the authors write. Many pathogens can be found in the dairy farm environment, which can contaminate the teat skin of dairy cows and consequently the milk at the time when cows are milked. For example, Salmonella and E. coli have been reported in pooled milk collected from farms., Outbreaks of salmonellosis, campylobacteriosis, and E. coli related to raw milk consumption have been reported since 2005.

Although the sale of raw milk was illegal in 26 states as of 2006, the authors note that those who are opposed to pasteurization have found ways to circumvent the law and obtain raw milk. For example, participants in "cow-share" programs pay for the upkeep of the cow and receive raw milk in exchange, rather than buying raw milk outright.

Raw milk advocates claim that unpasteurized milk cures or prevents disease, but no scientific evidence supports this notion. Testing raw milk, which has been suggested as an alternative to pasteurization, cannot ensure a product that is 100 percent safe and free of pathogens. Pasteurization remains the best way to reduce the unavoidable risk of contamination, according to the authors.

Editor's Note: This article is not intended to provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Email or share this story:| More
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:32 am
And you do know that many of those claims are overstated and that raw milk is recommended for people who have been given too many antibiotics and no longer have intestinal bacteria?

BEsides, it is lovely to buy from a farmer who practices milk sharing and not to see calves penned in tiny spaces, separated from their fellow infants. A farm where the animals are allowed to run and play is a treasure.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:34 am
@plainoldme,
i have posted about this repeatedly,so it goes.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:47 am
@plainoldme,
All I know is that raw milk is given at least part credit for Edsel Ford death.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medical authorities, however, decreed that Ford died of undulant fever, apparently brought on by drinking unpasteurized milk from the Ford dairy herd, at the behest of his father's mistaken belief that all things natural must be good.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off hand it seem a completely unneeded health risk.

Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 11:49 am
@matus,
I like it raw.

(cheese too)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:01 pm
@BillRM,
Is there some reason why I should care about the cause of death of a man who died before I was born?

Is it relevant?

There is a whole raw milk movement in the US which is particularly strong where I live. Farmers selling raw milk are held to higher standards than farmers vending to the large corporate dairies.

What about frankenfish and frankenveggies and chemical farming? The threats from those corruptions of agricultural practice are far worse.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 02:09 pm
@matus,
You mean that stuff comes out of cows? Ick!
DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 03:07 pm
@matus,
I've never had raw milk, but I've heard a number of people describe how wonderful homogenization is.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Is there some reason why I should care about the cause of death of a man who died before I was born?

Is it relevant?

Is it relevant in so must that he die from doing what you are claims is a wonderful way to drink milk.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 05:21 pm
@roger,
Quote:
You mean that stuff comes out of cows? Ick!

It would not be too bad if you drank it right from the cow tits however this milk is going through all kind of tubing and bottling with zero to prevent germs from growing in it.
0 Replies