What do you prefer fresh milk directly from cow or from supermarket

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:18 am
If we're going to talk about silly, how about your typical bullshit? You've got one joker, who was 50 years old, already dying of stomach cancer, and you allege (note, you allege) that raw milk killed him. Even if that were so, it's like Chicken Little getting hit on the head by an acorn and running around saying the sky is falling. You're using one death which occured well over 60 years ago to allege that raw milk is reliably a killer.

Our very own Able2Know Don Quixote, tilting at windmills.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:25 am
No, you allege that it was the direct cause of his death. Unless you provide a source, there is no reason to believe that.

Once again, you're ranting about a single death, and trying to claim that that proves the raw milk is reliably lethal. As usual, you have no case.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:53 am
The entire point that you're attempting to create an hysterical case that raw milk is reliably lethal based on a single death in 1943 has just shot right over head.

Forest-trees.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:56 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Human breast milk is far far too sweet however not bad tasting.

I sure hope you learned this by way of a pasteurized sampling.
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 12:53 pm
Here's how to get around the rules in Ontario:

Quote:
While raw milk is legal to drink, it's illegal to sell in Canada.

<snip>

Schmidt operates a 150-cow raw milk co-operative venture, which allows members to own a portion of a cow to acquire raw milk. He argues that he sells milking and distribution services, not the milk itself.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/01/21/raw-milk-trial.html
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2010 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, how little I know about raw milk, straight from the nipple, being so healthy.

During the several years I spent in a children's home as a child I developed an addiction to milk. It was the boys' job to arrive at the barn around 5 a.m. to milk the cows, pasturize the milk, place it in those large milk cans and roll it down to the dining hall in metal carts. We woke up to this sort-of music each morning. It was the girls' job to be waitresses. We stood at one corner of our assigned table-for-eight, pitcher of ice cold milk in hand, because it was an all-you-want food item.

So, the popularity of raw milk today is news to me, but can sure see why when it's even unhealthy before it 's squeezed from the nipple. It's interesting, as I've read here, that pasturization could create a lack of healthy bacteria in the gut. But, in the children's home we also had all-we-could-drink buttermilk (or some form of it called clabber milk. Perhaps that helped, hope so, as I'm sure they wouldn't have been allowed to feed raw milk to so many people (180 kids). This was later 40's, early 50's. One of my chores for couple years was assisting cook at the nursery (kids below 6). The butter churn was humming when I arrived at 5:30 a.m.

I really must try some raw milk before I die.
0 Replies

sstainba

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 08:57 am
so is the taste of raw milk really worth the risk of uncontrolled vomiting and pooping blood ? i don't see how. this seems to me the same argument made about vaccinations and child delivery - that the "natural" way is always best. which, of course, is wrong. however, i'm all for letting people do what they want, as long as THEY accept the consequences of their idiotic actions alone. i think raw milk should be legal. but, if you end up admitted to a hospital for bacterial infection from it, you should be required to pay up-front for treatment. there's no reason other people should have to pay for your bad decisions.
Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:21 am
People here have spoken about their own experiences with raw milk. I don't see anyone here recommending it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 08:41 pm
I wish I could go to the farm that sells raw milk more often, but I can't. I buy my milk from a local market which obtains the milk from a nearby farm. It is sold in glass bottles and is without bovine growth hormones.

This summer, I went to a popular ice cream stand. This is a large dairy operation for this area. Seeing the calves penned in small spaces, albeit with shelter from the sun and elements, made me sad. As the couple who sell raw milk have said, practicing milk sharing is easier as bottle feeding a calf is no picnic. Furthermore, they said the mothers teach the calves about poisonous plants and electric fences, so they have no vet bills.

After one of my bee keeping classes, I noticed eight heifers playing what looked like the calf version of tag in the field across the street. The girls are nearly full grown now and run less than they did in July but it was nice to see them play.

I can not say that I have had raw milk many times, but I drink it without fear.

The cows are grazed in fields rented for as little as two gallons of milk a week. One of those lessors makes butter from the milk which is also sold at the same stand as the milk. Now, neither the raw milk nor the butter last as long as store bought equivalents.

The entire town has benefitted from this raw milk/yogurt (by definition, yogurt is pasteurized) operation.

But, consider this: perhaps a contributory reason why Americans are fat may be bovine hormones added to milk.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 08:42 pm
I should say that the milk is not "directly from the cow," but bottled. My one objection to the raw milk dairy is their use of plastic bottles but that may be a regulation.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 09:52 pm
@sstainba,
Quote:
...if you end up admitted to a hospital for bacterial infection from it, you should be required to pay up-front for treatment. there's no reason other people should have to pay for your bad decisions.

The only time I ever got food poisoning and had to go to a doctor was when I ate sushi at a very expensive, rather famous Japanese Restaurant in NYC. Should we have this clause of yours for everything from raw fish to McDonalds?
plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 05:43 am
I went on a quilt shop hop this weekend which took me back and forth across half the state. On my way out the third day of the hop, I bought green tomatoes for pies at a family-run stand, then Macoun apples for eating and Northern Spies for baking as well as a large cheese pumpkin to make into pumpkin pie. On my way home, when I crossed into the town where my source of raw milk is, I stopped and bought a bottle.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 06:28 am
About the only thing anyone here would pay you for is to leave, never to return.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 12:20 pm
@Green Witch,
I've had food poisoning twice. The first time was during my first week teaching at a junior high school in MAcomb County, Michigan. I hadn't time to make lunch before I went to work and so bought a hot dog from the cafeteria. Those dogs are heated, frozen at the end of the lunch, refrozen and reheated.

The second time was when my mother who worked in the cafeteria at another school brought home a couple of slices of apple cake from school. The cook wanted opinions on the new recipe. I ate a slice and became very ill. When the cook returned to that can of applesauce to make more cake and started measuring it, she discovered a colony of mold on the bottom of the can. My mother came home and told me not to eat any more cake. As if I needed a warning.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:16 pm
@matus,
Not cheaper if you're dead!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 07:01 pm
@Setanta,
Congrats! Your post earned 15 thumbs up, the highest number I've seen on this forum!