Free Legal Advice sought

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 01:55 pm
I know we have a bunch of lawyers here, I need some free legal advice and was hoping someone might be able to lend me a hand.

My uncle, whom I have only met a couple times and we weren't all that close, died last week. Turns out I am next of kin due to my fathers current mental instability and age. My uncle had a life partner who has been arranging for the funeral and stuff far from where I live. But, as I am next of kin I have had to sign several things allowing the funeral to go forward. I was going to fly down and go to funeral, but his life partner does not want us too as we were not all that close.

Now, I am fine with all that, but I am thinking that I would like to get a copy of his will just to be sure that things are being handled the way my uncle actually wanted it done. Is there a way to just ask for that or would I need a lawyer to get involved? I just want to be sure things are being handled appropriately and that my uncle's wishes are being met.

I don't want to come off sounding greedy or intrusive in all this, but how can I be sure everything is as intended?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 7,580 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

roger

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:34 pm
@McGentrix,
McG, I don't even know how you would find a copy of the will. I suppose you might have to find a check register somewhere, and look for a payment to a lawyer. I too will wait for the lawyers.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 04:23 pm
@McGentrix,
Friendly, not legal, advice.

Tell the life partner what you said here. You don't want to be intrusive, just want to be certain that everything is going according to Hoyle. You take your role seriously and just want it all to work out.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 04:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Friendly, not legal.

If your dad could use some dough, and was closer to his brother than you were to your uncle, contact a lawyer in that area. (Your having to sign off on funeral arrangements may be indicative of there being no will; and blood runs thick in probate.)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 05:32 pm
@McGentrix,
This link, though not your location, may be helpful to you:

http://www.memberbenefits.com/floridabar/forms/HeritagePlanning/LIFErelativedies.pdf

From reading several sites, it looks as if your relative's property and will, if he had one, should have gone to probate. If you are unable to obtain a copy of the will from the executor, you can get a copy from the probate court after presenting a copy of the death certificate (usually a $10 fee).

0 Replies

Fido

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 07:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I know we have a bunch of lawyers here, I need some free legal advice and was hoping someone might be able to lend me a hand.

My uncle, whom I have only met a couple times and we weren't all that close, died last week. Turns out I am next of kin due to my fathers current mental instability and age. My uncle had a life partner who has been arranging for the funeral and stuff far from where I live. But, as I am next of kin I have had to sign several things allowing the funeral to go forward. I was going to fly down and go to funeral, but his life partner does not want us too as we were not all that close.

Now, I am fine with all that, but I am thinking that I would like to get a copy of his will just to be sure that things are being handled the way my uncle actually wanted it done. Is there a way to just ask for that or would I need a lawyer to get involved? I just want to be sure things are being handled appropriately and that my uncle's wishes are being met.

I don't want to come off sounding greedy or intrusive in all this, but how can I be sure everything is as intended?

Honesty first... Find some judge and swear you want to take the old broad or boy for all he is worth and kick him out in the street if possible... Show up with a large carboard box and tell him or her this is their new address, and get the hell out of your new place... Don't let any dust settle on the deseased either... He might have a few gold teeth, so don't foget your pliars... Needle nose should work fine...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 08:38 pm
Support from here.
Fido

Fri 8 Oct, 2010 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Support from here.

Ask him if that state has common law marriage, and if it does everything belongs to the life pardner if not given by will... My opinion...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 9 Oct, 2010 06:21 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I don't believe Texas recognizes common domestic partnerships.
0 Replies