which web servers, database servers to use?

cutsieQ

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 01:15 pm
I am starting a home business for selling things online so I need to have a website for my business which would have a shopping cart and can charge credit card etc and will have a database back-end.

My question is: what do I need to be able to run a web site that has all these capabilities, a e-commerce website? I know I need to get a domain name first. But where can I get a database server? Do web hosting company offer database servers?

Sorry my question sounds so stupid. I really need some basic help to get started.

Thanks a lot for your input!

CutsieQ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,414 • Replies: 2
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 01:38 pm
@cutsieQ,
What's your budget?

I definitely know how you can do that but I keep being told that it's not the most cost-effective way to do it.

The way I know though is to use SiteKreator to set up a site (they will give you a domain name with the business packages, too), and then use Paypal to set up a credit card.

I'm less sure about the "database back-end" part, but SiteKreator allows you to see site statistics, either built-in or via Google Analytics.

Hope that's helpful! I think there are other, better ways, but I decided not to click away after reading since I do know a way to do it.

Good luck...

(SiteKreator: www.sitekreator.com )
0 Replies

cutsieQ

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2010 02:09 pm
Thanks sozobe for your reply.

The way you suggested is definitely convenient.

I know there are some commercially available web solutions for doing this. But in the long run, I still want to be able to create and manage my own customer database. This is why I don't want to just use a package or platform like Yahoo!Stores.

0 Replies