Blackberry VS Iphone

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 12:19 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:
All I would really need is the basic minimum for calls/text and unlimited internet access.

That's the rub, though! Unlimited internet access costs. (I doubt it's included in the $40 plan, for example.)

Also remember that plans are per service provider rather than per device.

So for example I have Sprint for my Blackberry. Almost all of the major service providers (I'd guess all but I'm not sure) provide service for Blackberries. (Not so with iPhone, as Cycloptichorn referred to.)

Usually (not always) you choose a plan first, and then choose what device you want to use with that plan. (Blackberry, Droid, iPhone if available, or something else entirely...)
ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 01:13 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:
All I would really need is the basic minimum for calls/text and unlimited internet access.

check the fine print about the amount of internet access provided

I was looking at an ad for 'unlimited internet' today - then there was fine print about it being limited by their 'fair usage policy'.

And then there's unlimited text - not even a cousin of unlimited internet.
Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks for the heads up. I know all to well about hidden costs, so this is what I'm most concerned about.
I would like unlimited internet access, but in reality, I really wouldn't use it that much.
I'll take my time on this to make sure I get all the financial facts and wait for prices to drop while I'm at it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I figured since I barely use the phone (average 5 times a year) and I've never texted in my life, I could get a plan with the bare minimum with the unlimited internet access for a reasonable rate, but that just may not be doable.
I can't even see myself using the internet on it very much. I'd only use it a little on lunch breaks at work and while I'm waiting at appointments, also it would come in handy when we lose the power during storms.
I always always read the fine print, yes I do!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:46 pm
@Montana,
The Virgin ad for smartphones with unlimited internet says (in the teeny tiny print) "unlimited does not mean unreasonable", and then directs you to details in the contract.

I've been looking for something similar - found some complaints from people who thought they had unlimited internet in their $50/month plan - and then got bills for an extra $80, $300, $40 ... per month based on their actual use. I definitely don't want a surprise bill of any of those amounts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 01:04 pm
@Montana,
Just thought of you when I saw an ad for the new Blackberry, which has a touch screen AND a real slide-out keyboard!! That seems to cover all the bases if it's generally as cool and fast as an iPhone, which of course it might not be.

edit: this is it, the Blackberry Torch:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrytorch.jsp

Anyway, ehBeth is very right about the "unlimited -- wait did we say 'unlimited'? not exactly" weasel language in a lot of these contracts.
0 Replies

dameger

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2010 06:57 pm
@Montana,
Depends on what BlackBerry model you want to buy, but no mather which you choose it can't get even close to Iphones class.
Montana

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2011 09:14 pm
@dameger,
Thanks Dameger and sorry for the late response. I haven't been in here for a while.
0 Replies