Pentagon Bars Three Nations From Iraq Bids

au1929

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:28 am
Pentagon Bars Three Nations From Iraq Bids

By DOUGLAS JEHL

Published: December 10, 2003

WASHINGTON, Dec. 9 — The Pentagon has barred French, German and Russian companies from competing for $18.6 billion in contracts for the reconstruction of Iraq, saying it was acting to protect "the essential security interests of the United States."
The directive, issued Friday by Paul D. Wolfowitz, the deputy defense secretary, represents the most substantive retaliation to date by the Bush administration against American allies who opposed its decision to go to war in Iraq.

There is little doubt that this is "Payback". However, when the US is or should be doing all it can to mend fences and getting aid for our operations in Iraq this would seem to be both vindictive and counterproductive? What do you think of the stand taken by the Pentagon?
Could it be a ploy to push those nations into joining us in Iraq?
http://www.nytimes.com/ads/MC_popup2.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,126 • Replies: 82
No top replies

au1929

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
WORLD

Canada protests US ruling on Iraq bids

Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 7:36am EST

The Pentagon drew criticism from one US ally after formally barring companies from countries opposed to the Iraq war from bidding on 26 reconstruction contracts.
The ruling bars companies from US allies such as France, Germany and Canada from bidding on those contracts - worth $18.6 billion - because their governments opposed the American-led war that ousted Saddam Hussein's regime.

"If these comments are accurate ... it would be difficult for us to give further money for the reconstruction of Iraq," said Canada's deputy prime minister, John Manley. "To exclude Canadians just because they are Canadians would be unacceptable if they accept funds from Canadian taxpayers for the reconstruction of Iraq."

Steven Hogue, a spokesman for Prime Minister Jean Chretien, said Canada has contributed more than $190 million to the rebuilding effort.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:03 am
And French German and Russian reaction will be "may you rot in the hell of your own making"

They warned America not to go into Iraq. They spelled out what might happen. Its happened. America is bogged down with no exit strategy, costing the American taxpayer billions and costing American soldier's lives. They are (but I'm not) laughing at your predicament.

Those French German and Russian companies will survive without the blood money from American gangsterism in Iraq.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
Steve (as 41oo)
I seem to remember that your country had a hand in the Iraq fiasco. Or am I mistaken and London is no longer in the UK.

Yes, I have little doubt that the nations are gleeful of the US's present predicament in Iraq.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
Anger over Iraq contracts list

Wednesday, December 10, 2003 Posted: 8:31 AM EST (1331 GMT)
PARIS, France (CNN) -- France and Germany have reacted angrily to news that they are not on a U.S. list of countries eligible to compete for contracts for Iraqi reconstruction.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/10/sprj.iraq.list/index.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 09:53 am
Quote:
I seem to remember that your country had a hand in the Iraq fiasco.

Thats why I'm not laughing. It doesn't make me feel any better that British companies might get to dip their snouts in the war-spoils trough. It makes me thoroughly sick and ashamed that Britain has provided a small fig leaf of respectability for American criminality.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:00 am
Wolfowitz said

Quote:
"It is necessary for the protection of the essential security interests of the United States to limit competition...."

The essential security interests of the US are threatened by enemies of the US, not France and Germany. Or has this changed recently?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:31 am
This brings tears of joy to my tired eyes. What have any of the governments of those countries done to deserve any consideration in Iraq? Nothing. I say that the US has made a damn fine decision in this matter. Maybe next time we ask for help, they will be more forthcoming. More likely, they will hold onto this and it will become a wedge between any future negotiations, but I think it will be more of a hinderence for them than for us.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:37 am
The Bush Administration has proved itself to be a bunch of jackasses on as many occasions as it has had the opportunity to do so.

They've done it again.

No surprises here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:43 am
Just bear in mind that one of the administrations main jobs is to keep an eye what is best for america and americans. Not what is best for France of Iraq.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just bear in mind that one of the administrations main jobs is to keep an eye what is best for america and americans. Not what is best for France of Iraq.

If only they WOULD keep that in mind -- and if only their apologists would also.

Sometimes doing what is best for America means doing things that are advantageous for other nations -- including some nations that refuse to be lap-dogs for us.

In any case, McG, this pathetic administration has managed to squander more good will towards America than seems reasonable unless they planned to squander it. It truly seems incredible that they have squandered it accidentally.

So if one of the main jobs of an administration is, as you suggest, to do what is best for America -- this group of dolts deserves an "F".

(Make that a "G" in fairness to his father's administration. His father's administration earned the "F.")
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:18 pm
But what has france, Germany or Russia done to further their case? It seems like they go out of their ways sometimes to be contrarian. Give a little, get a little. It's like N. Korea saying they will freeze their Nuclear program for heating oil a a non-agressin pact with the US. They act like they deserve us to treat them well while showing us their ass.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:20 pm
This is a gratuitous insult, and serves only to please those who are angry at the world for not agreeing with us.

Furthermore it serves to reinforce the notion that this war is self-serving by making a petulant announcement that only those in the club will share the spoils of war.

It's sad, because the last thing we need is for more people to think we waged the war for the spoils.

It's absurd because we continue to be willing to ask those nations for money to help. This move is a feel-good move for the crowd that hates nations that do not agree with us but it's counterproductive to our efforts to convince nations to agree with us.

The stated reason (US security) is laughable. This is the type of move that portrays the US administration as petulant and childish and reflects on all Americans as this is our government.

I for one, do not think this has anything to do with our interests. I think it has more to do with the interests of the hawkish persons in the US administration who think that those who do not agree with us should be punished.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's like N. Korea saying they will freeze their Nuclear program for heating oil a a non-agressin pact with the US. They act like they deserve us to treat them well while showing us their ass.

Saying that we do not plan to invade them is not undue treatment.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:27 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
It's like N. Korea saying they will freeze their Nuclear program for heating oil a a non-agressin pact with the US. They act like they deserve us to treat them well while showing us their ass.

Saying that we do not plan to invade them is not undue treatment.

Yes it is because that is rewarding them with something they don't deserve. Let them shut down thier Nuclear Program and let the UN back in to inspect the operations and back down from any further threats of nuking South Korea. THEN we can sit down and talk to them.

I would like to see them removed from the terror sponsoring countries list as the only people suffering are themselves. There is not a large islamic population in N. Korea. They do however pose a threat of selling weapons to terror organization as seen in the missile shipment to Yemen. Who knows what else they are up to.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Yes it is because that is rewarding them with something they don't deserve.

See, I don't think not invading a nation is a "reward". I don't think we have a right to invade them. I think not invading nations without justification is the ideal, not an undue reward.

Quote:
Let them shut down thier Nuclear Program and let the UN back in to inspect the operations and back down from any further threats of nuking South Korea. THEN we can sit down and talk to them.

They have no obligation to do so. They are no longer part of any treaty that requires them not to have nukes.

In short, they have the legal right to nukes now. We don't want them to have them but that's not something we have the right to stipulate.

Secondly we stationed nukes on the Korean pennensula untill recently. We leaked nuclear attack plans.

In short we are the only nation that has threatened the use of nukes. NK is not in the habit of threatening people with nukes. Since this administration has been in power we have made those threats and they haven't.

Quote:
I would like to see them removed from the terror sponsoring countries list as the only people suffering are themselves. There is not a large islamic population in N. Korea. They do however pose a threat of selling weapons to terror organization as seen in the missile shipment to Yemen. Who knows what else they are up to.

I am concerned about proliferation. But do note that their sale to Yemen was perfectly legal. Their proliferation is perfectly legal.

The interdiction of their ship by the US and Spain was a move that the US admitted was illegal, and we were forced to allow the shipment to continue to Yemen. We have no legal basis to demand a halt to these activities. They are perfectly within their legal right.

We simply do not like their proliferation, proliferation itself isn't the point as we are the biggest proliferators on earth.

And at times like these when they are doing things they have the legal right to do, but that we disagree with, it's not helpfult o act like they have the obligation to bend over for us.

They have the legal right to nuclear weapons.

They have the legal right to sell their technology.

They simply want us to sign an agreement saying that we won't invade them. Frankly, given the threats we have issued them and this administration's penchant for war they would be stupid to give up their nukes.

Unless they get a non-agression agreement from us they should damn well continue to build nukes as it's their greatest deterrence for agression against them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:42 pm
McG

Earlier you wrote:
Quote:
Just bear in mind that one of the administrations main jobs is to keep an eye what is best for america and americans.

Now you wrote:

Quote:
But what has france, Germany or Russia done to further their case? It seems like they go out of their ways sometimes to be contrarian. Give a little, get a little.

COMMENT:

As you note, one of the main jobs is to keep an eye on what is best for America -- and not to worry about whether France, Germany, or Russia deserve or do not deserve anything.

What is best for America?

As Craven pointed out -- this short term mentality...this childish display of "we'll show you" is arguably NOT what is best for America. In fact, if you could get away from your anger towards these countries, I think you could see that the move is detrimental to the long-term interests of the United States.

I know how hard it must be to deal with this, McG, but this group is handling the affairs of the United States like a High School clique.

The crap that is going on -- which, as Craven also pointed out reflects on us, the citizens of this country -- is beyond comprehension at this point.

Support them all you want -- I admire loyalty. But in my opinion, you are placing your loyalty and trust in a bunch of buffoons.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
McG,

As a side note if I were in favor of this war I would not grant contracts to those countries either. But I would do this quietly without the announcement. Especially because we are placed in the oh-so-not-in-any-way-enviable position of trying to assert that this is a move that relates to US national security concerns.

As it stands it's just gratuitous.

As an aside to an aside, if we are supposed to look out for our own interests then others shouldn't be faulted for looking after theirs.

Trying to punish them for not agreeing isn't so much the point for me as it is that this "punishment" is meaningless (won't hurt those nations) and is a gratuitous emotional move that can hurt our efforts.

This administration is divided between those who want global cooperation and those who want to "go it alone".

This is a move to make the "go it alone" types feel good about poking their perceived enemy's eye and only helps ensure that we will have to (as opposed to having the option to) go it alone in the future.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 12:57 pm
Bush flew into Baghdad and fed the troops. Hillary flew in and cut in line.

Class talks, bullshit walks.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 01:01 pm
Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Yes it is because that is rewarding them with something they don't deserve.

See, I don't think not invading a nation is a "reward". I don't think we have a right to invade them. I think not invading nations without justification is the ideal, not an undue reward.

I have not heard of any plans to invade N. Korea. I agree that we can't go around willy-nilly invading people. I believe that we had an agreement with N. korea that they decided to break when the withdrew from the Nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

Quote:
Quote:
Let them shut down thier Nuclear Program and let the UN back in to inspect the operations and back down from any further threats of nuking South Korea. THEN we can sit down and talk to them.

They have no obligation to do so. They are no longer part of any treaty that requires them not to have nukes.

In short, they have the legal right to nukes now. We don't want them to have them but that's not something we have the right to stipulate.

Secondly we stationed nukes on the Korean pennensula untill recently. We leaked nuclear attack plans.

In short we are the only nation that has threatened the use of nukes. NK is not in the habit of threatening people with nukes. Since this administration has been in power we have made those threats and they haven't.

So, we should bend over backwards for them? You are right in that they have their own rights, much as we have the right to refuse to help N. Korea in any way. In fact, we are leveraging our allies to not help them either. We are effectively using an economic embargo against them until they bow under our pressure. That's one of the good things about having the big stick, you get to use it sometimes. We will get our way without invasion through economic means. A situation that we couldn't do in Iraq.

Quote:
Quote:

I am concerned about proliferation. But do note that their sale to Yemen was perfectly legal. Their proliferation is perfectly legal.

The interdiction of their ship by the US and Spain was a move that the US admitted was illegal, and we were forced to allow the shipment to continue to Yemen. We have no legal basis to demand a halt to these activities. They are perfectly within their legal right.

We simply do not like their proliferation, proliferation itself isn't the point as we are the biggest proliferators on earth.

And at times like these when they are doing things they have the legal right to do, but that we disagree with, it's not helpfult o act like they have the obligation to bend over for us.

They have the legal right to nuclear weapons.

They have the legal right to sell their technology.

They simply want us to sign an agreement saying that we won't invade them. Frankly, given the threats we have issued them and this administration's penchant for war they would be stupid to give up their nukes.

Unless they get a non-agression agreement from us they should damn well continue to build nukes as it's their greatest deterrence for agression against them.

Who else have they sold weapons too? Do you have any idea? I know I don't. But, if they are going to sell weapons to the bad guys, they have to ready and willing to face the consequences.
0 Replies