How did you choose your on-line name and why?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:13 pm
I was at the time in a whirl of interest about italy. So, when I joined Abuzz, I tried some italian food names, many of which were already taken. It started to get down to the fine hairs, as in what food name was not yet taken. Thus ossobuco.

Sigh. That all only took a few minutes and here I am with this damned name, apparently male at that, when I am so not.

Only one person made fun of me on it back on early a2k.

I ordered ossobuco in Modena, delicious.
I've made it myself a few times.
Once, it was glorious, and I had substituted chard for celery or whatever in the gremolata.
Once it was ok.
Once it was terrible, when I had first moved to New Mexico and didn't manage to control the heat or understand cooking here at altitude.. Shoe leather italiano. BBB was there.

I have a lot of posts under that name, so I'll live with it.
Too bad I'm not a truffle.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
The finest ossobuco I have ever tasted was prepared by a German chef at the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano, Hawaii.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso was so embarrassed at her New Mexico Osso bocco attempt. At an altitude of 5,000 feet above sea level, you have to adjust the cooking of almost everything. She has learned how to cook with Albuquerque methods, demonstrating what a good cook she is.

Yum!

BBB
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:39 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The community of Volcano, HI is located 4,000 feet above sea level. That Deutsches chef sure must've known what he was doing at that altitude.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:45 pm
Thanks, kid.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:47 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Chefs talk, or I think they do..
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I chose my user name by the initials in my real name! RSL
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 06:53 pm
I chose my name because it is an Irish word for a visit or party. Coming here is kind of like going to a kitchen party. You never know what you're going to hear, learn or see.
It used to be Ceilityme, but nobody could pronounce it. Still can't.
So I shortened it to Ceili just for this site because it was available.
It isn't at most sites.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 07:43 pm
@Gilek,
Gilek wrote:

My sister was helping me set up an email account way back in 2003;
I was having difficulty choosing an email address being the indecisive person that I can be; so my sister typed random keys on the keyboard a few different times until something that sounded pronounceable came out. 'gilekmeklos' was the result, and so I have adopted it from then on for internet use.
I will forever be in her debt for giving me an odd name that means nothing to anyone but myself. I carry it with pride. Thank-you sister.

Register it at the Urban Dictionary with any meaning you chose and copyright the sucker! Truly own your original gifted username! http://i50.tinypic.com/35d8ars.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 08:24 pm
I was Finn on Abuzz, but Finn was taken on A2K; so: Finn D'Abuzz

I was Finn because it was short and sweet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:09 pm
My name marks the date when I rose from the (almost) dead, on March 28, 1990. Actually, I have risen twice, so technically, my name should have been amended to read, " Phoenix32890/63009".

On second thought I believe that the addendum was rather pretentious, so I will stick simply to the 32890, a moniker which is familiar to many.
failures art

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:20 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Since we are sharing, is there any reason you choose green for all your text?

Aesthetics
R
T
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:25 pm
@failures art,
When, in the olden days, on Abuzz, I originally wrote in blue, while changing my avatar a number of times. When I finally settled on the one that I have been using, I thought that green went well with it. I suppose it has become my signature after all these years.

Think about it. The minute that you spot the green writing, you can scroll right past my post without wasting a second's time with it. I think that I am doing a public service!
dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:28 pm
@Phoenix32890,
yes, now that you're back and posting I will need to increasing my scrolling.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 09:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Now THERE'S a man after my own heart. Tell it like it is. No more bullshit!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:41 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Noneya

We all know it's because you're not old enough yet to call yourself Cuchulain.
0 Replies

drillersmum

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 01:55 am
@ossobuco,
I chose my current name because I wanted something more meaningful. In the beginning (1999)I rummaged through an iris catalogue looking for a suitable name I thought might be befitting, and none of them never really felt right. Being the proud mum of a driller... I am now at peace. :-)
0 Replies