How did you choose your on-line name and why?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:26 pm
@Merry Andrew,
It is? Well, I will keep on searching.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:37 pm
Erroneous spelling derived from Occam's Razor, attributed to William of Ockham. I believe I first attached it in signature on an argument by email with my nephew where I was arguing there was no need for additional dimensions in space; that Newtonian science was sufficient. (I had that wrong too!Razz )

Anyway, OCCOMBILL seems to be universally available when I sign up for stuff, so I kept it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 05:59 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
(I think some of us have answered this question quite a few times now, on quite a few similar threads! Smile )

My username was my first online username, on Abuzz (long-gone, dearly loved NYT forum).
I continued to use it because I continued talking to many of the same online fellow travelers, on Ravens Realm through to A2K. Easier for them to know who I was, I guess.
Olga was chosen because that's my real name. The "ms" part, because have had feminist "tendencies" for quite some time .. quite unfashionable now, I realize! Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:05 pm
@msolga,
I always thought MSOlga you were particularly fond of Microsoft and MS Word. Razz

Rolling Eyes
Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:07 pm
Mine isn't a catchy, cute or clever explanation. My name is Russ G, my initials are RAG, and I'm male. Rolling Eyes

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
Laughing

That's perfectly understandable, tsar ... me being the computer wizzard that I am! Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:11 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
This was on Abuzz. It was Riman

Of course! I'd totally forgotten Riman, Roberta!
That's who you were when I first got to know you! (Though I never thought of you as a man! A cat, perhaps .. Wink )
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:14 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ahah, BBB...but did you know of this lively tune, `Bumble Boogie' by Bee Bumble and the Stingers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GApq1XGzNNE&p=91E6BAEDC528386B&playnext=1&index=11

Of course, with Liberace around he took his shot at it too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAh1IMGexH8&feature=related
msolga

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
One of my first main history classes was my history of Russia class with Professor Nicholas Racheotes. In fact, I had him for two classes that semester.

A world history survey class which was the prerequisite to the Russian history class.

Needless to say, he was/is my favorite teacher I have ever had. So I went online looking for some kind of Russianesque user name.

Tsar + Stepan (Russified version of Stephen) and there is my ironic internet username. I have yet to find another Tsarstepan on the entire world wide web.

Interesting, tsar.

And I'd always thought it was because you were a recent Russian immigrant to the US of A! Wink
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I choose my name because it should surpass Armageddon (name of a guy I played RTS games with), as Armageddon is only a theoretical thing that hasn't happend yet, nor is likely to happen. The concept of that terrible accusation of innocent people, torturing them, and burn them because of stupidity, ignorence and superstition was the 1 half, the other is the inqusitorial nature I have, and watching a documentary of the book Malleus Malleficarum (Hammer of the Witches) I fell in love with the name.

Hammer of the Witches is often mistaken as a weapon that witches posesses, when it should be understood as a hammer that smashes evil.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 12:02 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm quite ignorant but can fake a knowing smile.
0 Replies

Gilek

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:32 am
My sister was helping me set up an email account way back in 2003;
I was having difficulty choosing an email address being the indecisive person that I can be; so my sister typed random keys on the keyboard a few different times until something that sounded pronounceable came out. 'gilekmeklos' was the result, and so I have adopted it from then on for internet use.
I will forever be in her debt for giving me an odd name that means nothing to anyone but myself. I carry it with pride. Thank-you sister.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:48 am
I am a railfan (AKA train nut), I like watching trains, riding trains, talking about trains, my dad had the entire basement of our house filled with a model train layout.....in front of my house growing up pre Amtrak (may 1 1971) ran the Illinios Central (In later years Illinios Central Gulf after the merger with the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad) Iowa Division on which ran the passenger train "the Hawkeye". I took the name in remembrance of my roots, and my passion. "hawkeye" was taken, so I went to "hawkeye10".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:59 am
I didn't have any influence on my online name: my parents choose my prename, the family name is ours since eight centuries. Wink
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:56 am
FBM = Former Buddhist Monk

(I got better)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 05:29 am
I wanted something Swedish and I like well designed cars - Saab.

There are other things which represent Sweden, but does not fit me. IKEA, Kosta, Orrefors, Volvo, Viggen, Surströmming, Lutfisk etc. etc
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 08:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I always thought it was a marzipan pun. Ochin harosho!

"failures art" is a lyric from an Elliot Smith song. Depending on your source, the lyric has quite conflicting meanings.

"They took your life apart and called your failures art. But they were wrong though and they won't know, until tomorrow."

"They took your life apart and called you failure's art. But they were wrong though and they won't know, until tomorrow."

I've listened to the song thousands of times, and I can't say which it is. Either way, I found the two words juxtoposition to be beautiful, and it has become my pseudonym.

As a side note, a week ago, I purchased the domain www.failuresart.com. I plan to port over much of my blog to there once I've designed the site. I was very excited that the name was available.

A
R
T
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 09:07 am
@Ragman,
It was the song Bumble Boogie that invited me to add Boogie to Bumble Bee because so many people had used the name BumbleBee. Thanks for letting me hear the two BumbleBoogie songs again. The Bee Bumble and the Stingers version was new to me.

BBB
Ragman

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:42 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm so glad you enjoyed. I have an uncanny memory for music trivia and songs from my youth. I'm old enough for that music to be meaningful enough to me for it to stick in my memory banks.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 11:55 am
@failures art,
I am assuming that you tried fart dot com first?

Wink
0 Replies