Segway company owner dies in Segway accident

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
It seems to be a a cruel twist of fate: the millionaire owner of the company that builds Segways has died while riding one.

Quote:
Tributes pour in for Leeds' Jimi Heselden
"Jimi's passion for the city and particularly East Leeds, was infectious" - Deputy leader of Leeds Conservatives John Procter

Tributes have today poured in following the death of a Leeds multi-millionaire renowned for donating more than £20 million to charity.

Jimi Heselden, 62, rode one of his company's motorised scooters off a cliff and into the river Wharfe at his estate in Thorp Arch yesterday. More details about his death can be found at BBC Leeds here and the YEP here. Martin Wainwright has also written a piece for The Guardian.

Heselden, who grew up in Halton Moor, was in the top 400 richest people in the country and was a big supporter of the Leeds Community Foundation and Help The Heroes.

Chief executive of Leeds city council Tom Riordan said:

"We are all devastated and saddened to hear of the tragic death of Jimi Heselden OBE. Jimi was an amazing man who apart from being a wonderful success story for Leeds due to his business acumen was also remarkably selfless and generous giving millions to local charities to help people in his home city.

"As a council we enjoyed great success with Jimi and HESCO Bastion working together with them to achieve a historic gold medal for the city at this year's RHS Chelsea Flower Show, and everyone who knew him will remember his quiet manner, good nature, and tremendous pride in being from Leeds. He will be hugely missed and at this awful time our thoughts are with his family and friends."

Councillor John Procter, deputy leader of Leeds Conservative group said:

"Having worked closely with Jimi over a number of years on the Chelsea Garden project, I got to know him well. Jimi was simply a fantastic man. Both genuine and honest in equal measure, Jimi's passion for the city and particularly East Leeds, was infectious.

"Jimi's experiences growing up in Halton Moor and working as a miner shaped him. He never forgot where he had come from and dedicated his time, energy and wealth into helping those less fortunate than himself through the Leeds Community Foundation.

"Jimi's passing is a massive loss to the city but his legacy as one of the country's most generous philanthropists is a fitting tribute to such a big hearted man."

A statement from HESCO Bastion Ltd read:

"It is with great sadness that we have to confirm that Jimi Heselden OBE, has died in a tragic accident near his home in West Yorkshire.

"Jimi Heselden, 62, was Chairman of Hesco Bastion Ltd, the world-leading manufacturer of protective barriers used to protect British and coalition troops around the world.

"Jimi is perhaps best known for his charity work with Help for Heroes and the Leeds Community Foundation. A £10m gift to the Foundation earlier this month saw his lifetime charitable donations top £23m.

"Our thoughts go out to his family and many friends, who have asked for privacy at this time."
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,379 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Suicide by Segway?

It says on the link page that he rode the machine over a cliff. So, I guess I'm wondering if it was an accident.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:28 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Suicide by Segway?

It was a tragic accident, no suicide, as far as I understand it.
Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Ah, okay, so then he was just riding too close to the edge of a cliff and slipped.

Probably not a great idea to do so.

Beware other Segway riders of this happening!
contrex

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:40 am
I always said that you'll never get me on one of those damn things. This is not the first Segway death, as a quick Google will confirm.

Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:44 am
@contrex,
I get the impression though (pardon if I'm wrong) that the accident is not a Segway malfunction, but rather of riding too close to a cliff's edge. In other words, not using good sense.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:49 am
@contrex,
yes, I'm somewhat a neo-luddite myself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 09:56 am
@Reyn,
Yes but using a Segway foolishly seems to be a bit more dangerous than walking foolishly. I mean it's quite easy to avoid walking off a cliff.
JTT

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:14 am
@contrex,
Quote:
I mean it's quite easy to avoid walking off a cliff.

And yet it happens quite a lot, C, probably more than there are Segway accidents.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:09 am
This is heading towards "Segways don't kill people, riders do", isn't it?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:19 am
oofff....for a moment I thought you meant the inventor of the segway died.

0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:51 am
Are you saying there isn't a warning, clearly visible on the machine, against riding very close to the edges of cliffs? Or against traffic for that matter?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@Gargamel,
I'm not sure. But its warning label says that it may contain nuts, will be hot after being heated and that it shouldn't be used for weight control.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 03:46 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Beware other Segway riders of this happening!

Either you are being ironic, or you are a total dweeb.
0 Replies

liuyan18340

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2016 02:49 am
@Reyn,
Noting to do with the scooter safety
0 Replies