littlek

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 04:14 pm
I just met a man with my exact first and last name on facebook. I have seen other people online with the same or similar names, but not like this. I saw a woman photographer with my full first name and last name. I chuckled and went on my way without saying anything. I saw that there was a Falcons player with my name, but he spelled different. I never tried to contact him either. My ex recently ran into a guy at a wedding who has my exact name (the one I go by). The ex just introduced us on facebook. Very strange.

What weird social media run-ins have you had?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,006 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 04:44 pm
@littlek,
Ooh there's someone with my exact name (first and last) on Facebook too! She lives in Scotland and is about my age. BOTH of my names are quite unusual so it was freaky to see that. (She even looks very vaguely like me.) She was amazed too (I had to contact her of course, we had a few exchanges). Our unusual last name is also the name that we each married into (as in, we were born with the same first name but different last names than we have now), and it's very possible that we're related by marriage in some way. (My current [and former] last name is unusual enough that if someone bears it, they're probably related.)

Anyway that was fun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 04:48 pm
I haven't had any strange run-ins, but i often type in the name of an FB friend in the search window, as the fastest way to find them. Then i'll get pages and pages of people, all with the same name. For example, Beth _____ turns up a woman about 40 who is a real estate agent, literally dozens of high school students, a woman of about Beth's age (who looks years older), a woman who looks and is about 20 years older--and i've never gone through the complete list. I've never searched my own name, but as its the Irish equivalent of John Doe, i'm sure there are thousands of them on FB.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 05:20 pm
@littlek,
No weird social media run-ins but I did manage to work with another guy with my name (that damn name thief!) when I worked public safety at Natick Mall.

Weird days.... Neutral
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 04:09 am

i FB-friended a los angeles rabbi who shares my somewhat uncommon name...
jespah

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 06:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Damn, you found my other husband.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 12:59 pm
@jespah,

(it was bound to happen sooner or later...)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 01:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
A college-aged kid from Nebraska with my exact name (not that common) FB-friended me. And, continuing the weirdness, his mom's name is the same as my mom's name.
jespah

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:48 am
@Ticomaya,
Tico, I think that's you from 30 (?) years ago, transported here via time travel. Your first step is to contact Stephen Hawking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:34 pm
I have another thing..... I friended someone a while back on FB. I thought it was a band (Muslim rock) I'd heard on NPR. It turned out to be just a guy. While the kid posts the usual social network stuff like sexual personality quiz results, he also posts jihadi pages/applications. It's uncomfortable. I feel like I could unfriend him and ignore it. But, I'm also kind of intrigued and feel like I can keep an eye on him if I remain friends with him.
0 Replies