My favorite movie, Spencer Tracy's The Old Man & The Sea

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:01 am
My favorite movie because it's the story of an old man who will never give up. It had a tremendous emotional effect on me.

An old Cuban fisherman goes out to get fish, something he has not done well at for the last three months. He catches a huge one which is devoured by sharks before he can land it.

Based on the classic, Pulitzer Prize winning novel of the same name by Ernest Hemingway. The story of an aging, life-long fisherman attempting to find himself, and hopefully a fish, on a fishing trip in the gulf waters off Cuba. After spending most of his life alone, and losing his only companion, a young Cuban boy, the old man heads out to sea once again, the laughing-stock of all other fisherman. His 80+ days without a notable catch end on this trip, but will he be able to defeat the odds after catching a gigantic marlin?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052027/plotsummary

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 03:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The book is better and I have it in early print in Life Magazine, September 1952. The book makes the imagination work.

(and I can't handle Spencer Tracy, he reminds me of my father in appearance, creepy, especially since dear old Dad was adoptolated and we haven't a clue parentage what his, I always wander watching him (Tracy)).

(Sad really that I can't manage Tracy film since Katharine Hepburn I like so much and they appeared together many times in film)
0 Replies

juli888

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:10 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I watched too this film and it very much is pleasant to me.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
You might like another Hemmingway movie, "Islands in the Stream", well worth watching and a great improvement on the book. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076211/
0 Replies