human potential

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 07:31 pm
Shocked
does human potential actually exist or is it merely a line created by society to distinguish between action and inaction? your response please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 15
No top replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 07:55 pm
Both
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 10:23 pm
Of course it exists. The debate is really about how great a potential it is. Logically, everything has a potential, even if it only has the potential to do nothing.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 07:51 pm
If you could be more specific...
Otherwise, humans have great potential. Just look at how much better we can think and act on a drop of adrenaline.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
The concept of human potential is one of our greatest discoveries about ourselves. It is the essence of what seperates us from the animals, and what contributed to our extremely rapid brain growth over a very short period of time, evolutionally speaking. To blame society is to blame your own potential, really, for accepting that fact as truth. It's crap. "Potential" by definition means an ability to surpass whatever it is that you think is holding you back for whatever you want to do with your life.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:05 pm
Which is entirely possible...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:07 pm
Incidentally, who exactly is "society"? Isn't it really just a loose collection of communities, often with radically different value systems? I don't see how anyone can blame "society" for anything, really.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:09 pm
I blame society for my birth
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:21 pm
Individual, wasn't that more your parents' fault? Smile Nobody really asks for it, it's what you do with your life that matters, ups and downs inclusive.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
Thanks for the advice, but I didn't mean that I was particularly mad at anyone for conceiving me.

As long as I have A2K to put my ideas into, life is always up.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 10:53 pm
Jadedragon, WELCOME to A2K. Human potential exists to the extent of our genes and environment. Those of us that can get 'free' education will have a greater chance at success of what most humans consider "human potential." It entails social, political and economic 'potential.'
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Thu 18 Dec, 2003 11:51 pm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 10:50 am
twyvel, I think we have 'normal and crazy' people in all societies. Emotional and spiritual are all part and parcel of our environment - and sometimes on the quirk of chemical inbalance in our brain. Wink
0 Replies

xifar

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 11:27 am
Certainly when someone is inactive, their potential for action reaches it's maximun. For example, a rock that sits at the top of a hill has plenty of potential energy, but none of it is being used because it is still.

When someone is completely active, their potential begins to fufill itself. Someone who is an good piano player at the age of 12 has the potential to become a concert pianist if they work hard.

I think the distinction between potential/fufillment and inaction/action is that potential can constantly grow and develop. There is always something you can learn to make yourself better and fufill your potential. And after you learn that, your potential becomes greater. Action by itself is just something that facilitates and helps to fufill potential.

For proof at this, one can simply look at people who are naturals at singing, playing an instrument, leading, taking standerdized tests, etc. These people just have some natural ability that is missing in other people, even when others complete the exact same actions as the "naturals" do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 01:34 pm
xifar, Instead of the rock, why not the conception that determines where any individual gains any potential in human terms?
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 06:07 pm
twyvel wrote:

Potential is a positive attribute. You can run away from your potential, but realizing your potential is not running away from who you really are. A lion can choose to be the leader of the pack or just one of the masses. Trees are slightly different, but some have greater potential than others depending on their placement and whether they will be overshadowed by other trees, fed in a healthy environment or subject to name carvings...etc. The universe has/had great potential. A debate is still ongoing of which I have no credible input whether the universe is expanding or contracting and that would give some hint to it having potential or having already realized its full potential.
0 Replies