How did you educate yourself if you couldn't go to college?

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:52 pm
I graduated from high school in 1947. In those days, a family had to have money to be able to send a child to college. It was especially difficult for girls. There was no chance I could go to college.

I spent my entire life trying to educate myself. I was a book reader of mostly non-fiction books. I also was lucky to meet so many very smart people, who took an interest in me because I had so much curiosity about so many things. I learned so much from them.

In my forties, I managed to go to college at night while I worked during the day for classes about labor unions and social improvement of the working class. I ended up with a grade of 3.85 before I had to quit because I got a job that required a lot of traveling. So I never got to take traditional college courses to get a degree.

I'm interested in A2Kers who had a similar history, not being able to go to college. I curious about how you self-educated yourself? Will you tell us your story?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,989 • Replies: 68

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 05:04 pm
I failed every class in the tenth grade. I quit school before the next school year began. I had read many books by then, on my own, and I had no trouble passing the GED tests, four years later, when I was in the Navy. In my life, anything I learned, I picked up from books and life experience.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, do you think Abe Lincoln set a good example of self-education?

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Abe worked much harder at educating himself than I did. I had too many issues to apply myself that way.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, in my not so humble opinion "education" is the bridging of the gap between concrete and abstract reasoning. That bridge has little to do with years of education. I'm guessing from knowing you is your reading of such writers as Wylie led you across that bridge allowing you to incorporate abstract knowledge/information. More formal education just adds to your data base and exposes you to a greater variety of ideas, it doesn't make you more educated.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:04 pm
A friend, who went to the same high school and college, but a year ahead of me, said that she might have been able to educate herself, had she known which books to read.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:00 pm
Of course my "family" could not send me to college, they had no plan to, but I had been reading books since about 4th grade. I joined the Book-of-Month Club at age 19 and always read the book they chose. First books like This Hallowed Ground. Peter the Great. The Crusades. A Distant Mirror. Paris in the Terror. Rise and Fall of Third Reich, and dozens and dozens of others, plus all the books I purchased from bookstores, begged or borrowed. I also was fortunate to have some mentors.

I married at age 22, raised couple boys, then started college in 1972. At some point I raised kids, worked and attended college. Husband was a big help, always has been. I studied Communication Arts and begin working in that field in my 40s as a newspaper reporter/photographer. Also wrote a column.

I probably learned just as much from my experiences, my friends and neighbors, couple bosses, living in about 5 states.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, Dyslexia once told me that I was not educated, I was trained. That really hurt me because I had tried so hard to educate myself. His response to you demonstrates that you, too, are not educated, just trained, is his opinion. Most working class people don't have the education opportunities that some others have.

BBB

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:11 am
@Pemerson,
You and I had similar efforts to educate ourselves. Congratulations for your success in your goals. You never gave up!

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:16 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Edgar, Dyslexia once told me that I was not educated, I was trained. That really hurt me because I had tried so hard to educate myself. His response to you demonstrates that you, too, are not educated, just trained, is his opinion. Most working class people don't have the education opportunities that some others have.

BBB

what a load of crap.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:20 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I don't know a thing about the rest of your statement, but I thought dys was highly complementary re my own attainments.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Dyslexia wrote:

"Edgar, in my not so humble opinion "education" is the bridging of the gap between concrete and abstract reasoning. That bridge has little to do with years of education. I'm guessing from knowing you is your reading of such writers as Wylie led you across that bridge allowing you to incorporate abstract knowledge/information. More formal education just adds to your data base and exposes you to a greater variety of ideas, it doesn't make you more educated."

Edgar, You know I admire your self-education efforts. Please tell me the difference between the education you and I struggled to achieve and Dyslexia's education. Is his elitist, and our's are inferior?

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:50 am
I don't have the equipment to argue these points, BBB. I can't say much without seeming foolish.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I've never known anything you've ever said that would make you look foolish. I share your difficulty in trying to understand or explain why an elitist education is superior to what you and I achieved.

BBB
Rockhead

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
what exactly is an elitist education...?

(I am simply uneducated, for the record)
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
@Rockhead,
That's what I'm trying to understand, too. Don't underestimate yourself.

BBB
Rockhead

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:14 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
ya think?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
I'm going to say something that will cause many to have agina, and/or wish me dead.

I think most people overestimate the importance of college, and that nowadays a lot of people feel they must send their children to college, because it's what they are "supposed" to do.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:46 am
@chai2,
I won't have an angina attack, Chai2, but you opine some truth. Today, so many employers require college degrees to get a job. It's tough for families who cannot afford to pay for a college education. However, I wanted to go to college because I was such a curious child growing up. I was interested in so many topics and wanted to learn more.

In my forties, I managed to attend the University of California at night while I worked during the day. One reason was that I couldn't get the job I wanted because I didn't have a degree---and that I was just an "office worker". I started with the classes that would overcome that. Then I was successful in getting the job I wanted, representing the Union of American Physicians and Dentists. It was the first union job I applied for because I finally had a paper that said I could do the job. I had been teaching new employees how to do their jobs in the Union I had been previously been working for. Because I didn't have a college diploma, I was not considered. My new job required a lot of traveling. As a result, I had to drop out of college and never got to take the traditional college classes that would have given me a degree.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:51 am
@chai2,
absolutely. we (the USA) has produced millions of uneducated but degreed unskilled morons, we do need skilled workers to maintain a working middle class, perhaps a rebirth of trade schools.