How did you educate yourself if you couldn't go to college?

Eva

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 10:45 pm
@plainoldme,
Thanks, but I don't feel the need to represent myself as anything other than what I am. I have sufficient accomplishments in several areas, and people know I am good at what I do. I will turn 56 this weekend. Who cares what happened 30+ years ago. That is ancient history.

But it is, admittedly, a different path than many take. I wrote down my story here so that others without degrees would know there is no reason to let it stop them from doing whatever they want to do.

Bill Gates didn't finish his degree either, by the way. I guess he had better things to do. Smile

There are some fields where a college degree is a necessity. In other fields, it's optional. Either way, it's just where you start. The important thing is not how you start, but where you go.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:51 am
I went to college and got my degree, but in many ways my education didn't begin until I graduated. College introduced me to a lot. But I was always rushed. Always doing assignments.

I made a list of books I wanted to read--authors I was interested in. Authors I was introduced to in college. I read all those books after I graduated. I found courses and subjects that appealed to me. Pursued the subjects after graduation. I took courses at the Museum of Natural History to fill in the gaps. I took courses at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to fill in the gaps. I attended theater in different languages so that I wouldn't lose what I had learned.

Education is what we make it. I could easily have read the books and taken the courses without the degree. I strongly believe that knowledge (not education) is power. I also believe that the more you know, the more you are.

I got my degree because it never occurred to me not to. I also needed it for work.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:55 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
I went to college and got my degree, but in many ways my education didn't begin until I graduated.
yes, my greatest joy was post graduate, only then could I actually sit down and enjoy reading a book.
Roberta

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
I went to college and got my degree, but in many ways my education didn't begin until I graduated.
yes, my greatest joy was post graduate, only then could I actually sit down and enjoy reading a book.

YES! Only then I could sit down and enjoy reading a book. I was a lit major. One of my greatest pleasures after graduation was picking up a book I wanted to read and reading it without pressure.

A true joy.
sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:08 am
@Roberta,
I have to say I loved that part of being an English major. I got to do two things I loved -- read good books and talk about them -- and that's what I was supposed to be doing! I got credit for it!

I always feel vaguely better and more virtuous if I'm doing WORK rather than goofing off, so I loved that it elevated my usual goofing into work.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:39 am
Opposite to what most said above: I really enjoyed reading books at grammar school and the first semesters at university: then it was more for fun, afterwards it was more selecting passages for the one or other thesis and work.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 06:02 pm
I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I couldn't stand by and let anyone mistake the real friendship and respect Dyslexia has for Edgar.

Their private communications mean a tremendous amount to Dys and, I'm sure, to Edgar. Both of them understand and value the friendship they enjoy (and I'm proud to be included).
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 07:07 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I couldn't stand by and let anyone mistake the real friendship and respect Dyslexia has for Edgar.

Their private communications mean a tremendous amount to Dys and, I'm sure, to Edgar. Both of them understand and value the friendship they enjoy (and I'm proud to be included).

Thank you, diane. I had left this thread because I felt I could not contribute to it in a meaningful way. I hope everybody has ironed the kinks out.
0 Replies

needcounsellor

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 04:55 am
ok, i do have a chance to study university, in fact i decided to dropout.
i do not know whether i am right or wrong. but i believe, it is very important to believe in yourself before doing any decision in your life. so in this case, i believe that even i do not have my degree will not makes me less competitive among others people in this society, i do not have a certificate to get a good job, do i worry? yes i do. do i terrific the fact that maybe i day i will need to do something i really dont like? yes i do. that's why i need to work harder, be smarter and tougher than anyone else. college doesn't know make your smarter, is the society. college do have lots jerks.
we're in an ecosystem, eat or be eaten.

and right now i am seeking advice how to get self-educate in the best way, email me if you're interested in discuss with me. [email protected]
0 Replies