Wal-Mart signifies all that is wrong in America

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:24 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I gotta get this one in. Box of decent shotgun shells at Walmart (ones with enough powder to keep a semi-auto from jamming): $4.99. Box of similar shells anywhere else: $8-$12.

Let me know when your shotgun blows up in your face. Ah, wait, you might not be with us! Very Happy

SHOTGUN SHELLS
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
What does a 6-shell carrier from Cabelas have to do with an exploding shotgun? You're a bit rude today LW, BTW.

I have a shoulder padded orange and tan hunting vest that holds about 20 shells or so in similar fashion. It came from Meijer and cost about $30.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:38 pm
What's rude about worrying about your cheap WalMart shells blowing up? Where's your sense of humor? You really didn't think I was serious? I think you need to calm down and have a couple of drinks.

Or perhaps I inadvertantly struck a little fear into your heart?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:42 pm
Well, they're supposed to blow up. If they didn't, I'd be pissed, and out $5.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
I can understand being mystified by the shotgun shell holder as I meant to post this link:

CHEAPER THAN DIRT
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:48 pm
Popcorn I do buy from Sam's Club or Costco. Pop guns I buy from Toys-R-Us. I buy cases because I have so many movie parties with friends and relatives. There is an online store I also use who has free shipping on cases. All are cheaper than WalMart and far more convenient.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
Walmart's hunting stuff is pretty lame, but they do typically have a pretty nice selection of fishing tackle.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:08 pm
Check out the same Cheaper Than Dirt.com for fishing gear. I know I found my aquarium store was charging pretty high prices for such things as Cycle, the magic potion that keeps the tank water clear and found that online at half the price, a competing brand at even less.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:23 pm
Today I got the oil changed in the other car, found reflective letters for the mailbox and knee and elbow pads for little McGentrix to start skateboarding with.
0 Replies

DKay

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Ive only visited Walmart once on a visit in the USA but it seemed alright! I couldn't fault it. Asda in the UK owned by Walmart seems similar and thats a popular supermarket over here...

Corporate America as bad as it may have been portrayed by multinationals and other organisations beneffiting from sinister behaviours such as employing child labour in third world countries has corrupted the thoughts in peoples minds of corporate America... has anybody ever thought what those children would be doing if they were not employed by factories? What about investment bankers in the USA working 13 hour shifts? Of course this comparison has its flaws, the major one being working conditions are abismal in "sweat shops" and multinationals have a lot to answer for I agree; the treatment of youth in those factories is a nightmare scenario but I urge you to think twice before blindly lashing out at companies like Walmart, companies you have bracketted as being integral to corporate America as I have read so far. From my limited knowledge of Walmart is there any evidence to show they are engaged in corrupt behaviour such as the employment of factor inputs from sweat shops?

Please do not come away from this thinking I support the actions of corporations, just look at the downfall of Sierra Leone at the hands of Siromco (granted it isnt an American company) - it makes me sick to think humans are doing this to their own less fortunate kind - so what is it exactly about Walmart as a foundation, you are not fond of? Although as for the idea of quality lags in Walmarts products I can see where that is coming from - there is no way I would buy a new pair of Jeans from Tesco's...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:42 am
Wal-Mart in offensive to boost image

Wal-Mart vowed to go on the offensive to protect its reputation from critics of its business and labour practices, and said growing opposition would not slow its growth.

Lee Scott, Wal-Mart's chief executive, told a Goldman Sachs retail conference in New York that the world's largest company was engaged in an "outreach programme" to get its story across.

The company has faced growing publicity over the past year over its poor pay and benefits for workers. It has also met increased opposition to new stores - often organised by labour unions - particularly as it expands into urban areas.

It faces a series of lawsuits, including a sex discrimination suit involving up to 1.6m women that could be the biggest civil rights class action against a US private employer. Other suits allege that it forced staff to work unpaid overtime.

"We have got to eliminate this constant barrage of negatives . . . that cause people to wonder [whether] Wal-Mart was going to be allowed to grow. Because, clearly, the customer is going to allow us to grow," Mr Scott said.

"We have not got our story out to the extent that we need to," he said. "We as a company have failed to tell people that we in fact don't have a majority of part-time jobs - almost 80 per cent of our jobs are full-time jobs. We don't pay the minimum wage. We spent $2bn in health benefits last year."

He admitted that, with 1.5m employees, Wal-Mart needed to make a culture change from the days when Sam Walton, the retailer's founder, ran the company, and clamp down harder on any employee wrongdoing.

Mr Scott added that the company would analyse all criticism, and make changes if criticism was justified.

"Where we get criticism that is simply wrong, we are going to fight it," he said.

The Wal-Mart chief said it was important to get its message across to people who did not live near a Wal-Mart store and did not know the company.

"A different group of stakeholders is important to us - people who are not familiar with Wal-Mart stores, so their view of Wal-Mart is what they read in the newspapers or see on TV."

But Mr Scott said opposition to store openings was not slowing its expansion. It was on track to open 230 or 240 new stores this year and would open more than that next year. He added Wal-Mart had not changed its optimistic outlook for the Christmas shopping season in spite of weaker-than-expected August sales.

link
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm
I have to say the thing I like the least about Wal-Mart is that it's always so damn busy. I wonder why that is?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 01:06 pm
Today I purchased a box of Scooby snacks for the dogs, a container of hand soap, a box of capri-sun juice boxes and a new sink mat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:30 pm
You sure go shopping a lot, McG.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 06:50 pm
It's easier for me to pick up incidentals at lunch time than it is for my wife to pack up the kids and drive all the way into town. I'm there already, so it is really just a matter of convenience.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
<shaking head>

That is just too often for me - and Setanta thinks I shop too much. I am gonna have to tell him about you. You make me seem like a shopping slacker.

Hey - are you close enough to I-81 to see(hear about) the convoy of Ontario Hydro trucks heading to Florida? Hamburger said 4 groups of them went over at the Thousand Islands Bridge today.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 06:22 am
No, I am about 30 minutes east of Syracuse. It always warms my heart though to know about such things though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:01 am
Quote:
Hydro One workers aid Florida

In Florida, power is still out in many parts of the state after Frances pummeled the state last week.

So Ontario's electricity provider, Hydro One, is sending a small army of staff and vehicles to help get the lights back on.

Hydro One spokesman Al Manchee said about 240 line staff and 130 vehicles are heading down in four convoys. They will gather in Daytona and then be deployed throughout the state where needed.

With about 1.4 million homes and businesses without power, it could be early next week before power is restored statewide.

link

It's a change from snow plows going over the bridge :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 05:10 pm
Saw a bunch of Maine linemen working away. Ayup
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:24 pm
Now y'all are not getting into the spirit of the Wal-Mart-as-Independent-City crusade. I'm gonna run for Mayor of the one closest to where I live...just gotta find some local church support...and a chicken franchize.
0 Replies