Facebook is down!

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:31 pm
Been down for me for about an hr and I'm having DTs.

Butrflynet

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:36 pm
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/facebook-says-it-is-working-on-technical-troubles/

September 23, 2010, 4:09 pm
Facebook Says It Is Working on Technical Troubles
By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Facebook Site downfacebook.com Visitors to Facebook’s Web site saw confusing technical error messages on Thursday afternoon.

Facebook users have been seeing the site go on and offline Thursday. The company issued a statement but gave no explanation as to the cause:

Quote:
We’re currently experiencing some site issues causing Facebook to be slow or unavailable for some users. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

The downtime also affected sites that incorporate Facebook’s “Like” buttons and the Facebook Connect service. In place of the “Like” button, many Web sites bore empty white boxes or error messages.

Facebook’s developer Web site remained up and noted that the company was experiencing problems with its application programming interface, or API, which outside programmers and sites use to interact with Facebook. A statement on the site said:

Current Status: API Latency Issues

We are currently experiencing latency issues with the API, and we are actively investigating. We will provide an update when either the issue is resolved or we have an ETA for resolution.

Butrflynet

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20017463-265.html

Quote:
September 23, 2010 1:15 PM PDT
Facebook outages reported; Qwest sees packet loss

Facebook struggled to maintain service availability today during the same period of time as a prominent Internet service provider dealt with a major outage.

We're getting countless reports of Facebook problems from users both inside and outside of CNET, with most reporting that the site has been up and down all morning. Facebook acknowledged that it was experiencing "latency issues" with its API, but it was not immediately clear what was causing those issues.

However, during the same period of time representatives for Qwest, a major Internet service provider, used their Twitter account to alert customers to "a known outage in WA" that "our techs are currently working to restore service as soon as possible." A quick check of the Internet Health Report around midday Pacific Time showed major packet loss on several key routes between Qwest and other Tier 1 providers, such as SBC and Saavis.

It's not at all clear that the two issues are related: representatives from Facebook and Qwest have not returned multiple requests for clarification. We'll continue to update this post as we receive more information, and please let us know if you're having problems with Facebook and where you're located, as these issues can often be regional.

Updated 1:22 p.m. PDT: Facebook released a statement: "We are experiencing an issue with a third party networking provider that is causing problems for some people trying to connect to Facebook. We are in contact with this provider in order to explore what can be done to resolve the issue. In the meantime, we are working on deploying changes to bypass the affected connections."

We're trying to get them to confirm whether Qwest is that "third-party networking provider," so stay tuned.

More to come...

Here's a link to the internet health report referenced above:

http://www.internetpulse.net/Main.aspx?OriginLevel=0&DestinationLevel=0
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the report Butrfly Smile I'm surprised they don't know what's causing the problems because this stuff happens every time they make changes to site and it usually takes quite a while before everything smooths out again.
Every time things start running pretty good in there, along comes another change, lol.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:47 pm
ah..
my diabolical plan is coming together.
Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:53 pm
@chai2,
Oh, do tell <evil grin> Smile
Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:56 pm
Man, this really sucks. All my crops are going to wither, food will burn and I can't get into yoville to use up my energy on jobs so I can finally get the romantic house. <sigh>
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 02:57 pm
@chai2,
what are we gonna do tonight Brain?
http://www.kyblogger.com/images/pinky_brain.jpg
the same thing we do every night Pinky
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Thanx for letting me know. I wouldn't have known otherwise. I have an account but virtually never go there. A2k all the way!!
0 Replies

roger

@Montana,
Well, there's always a2k when all else fails. Dayum, this is like high school and I was always the last one picked for a team.
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:01 pm
I can see why you guys would say that, but you're making me feel guilty Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:14 pm
I had some problems a couple of hours ago, but just logged in at FB with no problems.
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:16 pm
My leaving (for the most part) was nothing personal at to most of you here, but it was very personal for those who decided I was an easy target for picks and insults. I couldn't find peace in my life with even one person up my ass, never mind a hand full. I also could no longer stomach people picking on others.
Those of you who know me well know that I jump to the defense of the defenseless, which in turn makes me a target.
I still think of so many of you here on a daily basis and hope you're all do fabulous.
I've also always been a major gamer and Facebook provides me with countless of games free of charge. This way I can actually play my games with friends instead of playing them alone like I did with pay sites I used before.
Setanta

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:22 pm
Can't load the games--just the home page and internal FB links.
edgarblythe

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:24 pm
There is an article about the downage on Google news.
Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:27 pm
@Setanta,
I'm back in Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
I just got back in, so DTs gone for the moment Smile

For those of you who think A2K is last on my list, you're wrong. You're all (well a hell of a lot of you) are in my heart daily. Please remember that Smile
Setanta

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 03:56 pm
OK, now everything seems fine. Just loaded Cafe World.
Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
Yup, the games are working for me too. Was able to harvest everything and do my $ making in yoville Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:15 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

I just got back in, so DTs gone for the moment Smile

For those of you who think A2K is last on my list, you're wrong. You're all (well a hell of a lot of you) are in my heart daily. Please remember that Smile

Many of us are with you on facebook too.