Facebook is down!

msolga

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:20 pm
@Montana,
Hi Montana. Nice to see you.

I'm a bit confused, though. I thought you left A2K because of those fount of wisdom ( hope that's his right name) threads?
Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know and I'm very happy about that Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 05:37 pm
@msolga,
Howdy msolga Smile Always awesome to see you as well Smile

That situation was really just the final straw for me, but there are other reasons as well. A2K is a great place for some, but a bit too negative at times for me. It's not that I'm too delicate to handle it, but I feel compelled to jump to peoples rescue when I see someone being ganged up on and so forth and it's just not a healthy way for me to spend my time.
If I was in a good mood, all I needed to see was two people (or many) arguing and it's all it took to bring me down and I already had one foot out the door long before the Fount situation. That whole thing was just crazy and it did it for me.
Mr. Fount and I have become very good friends on Facebook since then and is far from the sociopath some described him as. I was totally blown away by that whole mess.
My biggest regret is that so many of you don't do Facebook and I miss your wonderful faces!
Intrepid

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:21 pm
They should dump all the games. Yeah, that's the ticket.
msolga

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 06:27 pm
@Montana,
Quote:
My biggest regret is that so many of you don't do Facebook and I miss your wonderful faces!

There are only so many hours in each day, Montana.
And if I spend any more (than I do here, already) I'm gonna lose contact with The Real World out there! Wink

Yes, I thought that it was unfortunate that the fount discussions were so public. A big part of the problem, I reckon, Montana. I think quite a number of A2Kers were attempting to be protective of you. Me, the whole extended episode just boggled my brain! Razz
Lash

Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:43 pm
Mine dragged all day...and refused log on a couple of times.

In related news, my son just called to inform me he has quitted facebook and now we may resume our normal mother/son relationship. I said, "What!? Are you seriously telling me you've unfriended your own mother?" To which HE said, "Mom. Do you realize we're having the exact same satirical conversation that Stan had with his dad on South Park, in the episode lampooning the ridiculousness of parents and their children living their lives through facebook?" I said, "DISLIKE!"
Montana

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:37 am
@Intrepid,
Not a chance Intrepid. I've always been a gamer and use to be joined to pay sites to play them until Facebook. Now I get to play them for free and I have people to play with instead of playing alone.
When you don't have a spouse to communicate with on your free time, you need to have something enjoyable to do with your time, so I play games. I was playing a lot of games way back when when I was very active here, except I was paying for them.
Facebook gives me my games and a social life at the same time. I have many people from here on there and for me it's perfect Smile
Montana

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 05:55 am
@msolga,
I understand that most were just trying to protect me, but while doing that, it made me realize how many people thought I was a complete idiot who didn't have the sense enough not to know how to protect myself.
Fount is a good man who never ever stepped out of line with me and I'm proud to call him a very good friend of mine.
I actually don't do very much talking on FB. I play my games in between doing renovations in the house, but I do get to see what's going on with everyone as they post stuff.
When I was here, I couldn't seem to drag myself away long enough to get stuff done that I needed to get done in the house.
I'd come on here when I woke up and the next thing you know, it was time to go to bed, lol!

I still regret how I left and wish I had gone peacefully earlier as I planned, but I can't go back and change things. I still miss many people here (like yourself) and always will.
0 Replies

Montana

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:01 am
@Lash,
OMG! He quit FB!!! LOL! My son is on FB, but he hardly spends any time there at all. He's always with one girl or another or he's helping a friend fix their cars/ trucks and such.
Lash, I'd be willing to bet that your son will be back to FB. The power will be stronger than he, lol Smile
sozobe

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:06 am
@Montana,
I dunno, us oldsters seem to be taking over the place. When I first joined, my younger cousins + nieces/ nephews were blabbing away, that was the main stuff I saw (age 25 and younger). Then their participation got more and more limited as (and this probably isn't coincidental) the participation of people more my age increased. These days that generation barely posts... have to skip to the next (12-year-old niece who just got started) for the real activity.
Montana

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:08 am
@Intrepid,
They'll never get rid of the games because they generate big big $ for the very rich makers of FB Wink

P.S. If they got rid of the games, it would send me back to paying for them on the pay sites where I was playing with myself Wink
Montana

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:20 am
@sozobe,
LOL, I happen to love the oldsters and I can see where the youngins wouldn't find it to be much fun. Youngins get bored so easily, I can't see many hanging in here.
I've learned so much in here from you all and this place will always have a place in my heart.
So very many of you have been there when I was going through some really rough times and I'll never forget the comfort I found here from countless of people in times where I felt so alone.
You may not see much of me anymore, but those of you who have had a positive effect in my world will always be in my thoughts and heart. You all know who you are Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 06:27 am
@Montana,
I block most of the games so that I don't have to scroll through the offers and requests.

I agree with Soz. My kids have both pretty much stopped using FB. OTOH, I've got family and friends from various real life and cyber groups that I can connect with all at the same time.

<waves to Montana!!>
Butrflynet

Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:48 am
@JPB,
In that case, you'd be interested in this latest change they've made:

http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=429618852130

Excerpt:

Previously, you've had the ability to hide an application story, or block it completely. Now, we're putting changes in place so game stories only post to your feed if you're playing them. This means people who play games can post stories to their Wall without worrying about overwhelming their friends who aren't playing, and people who don't play games won't see irrelevant stories in their feed for which they have no context.

For game players, here are some improvements we're excited to be launching today:

* Full stories in News Feed so they won't miss when a friend shares an action or needs help in a game. The more active a person is in a game, the more prominent the stories will be.
* Smarter bookmarks on the home page that will automatically appear and reorder based on the games they're playing. They will no longer need to individually bookmark apps, and it will be easier to get to favorite apps.
* A clearer, highlighted number for pending requests or tasks alongside bookmarks.
* Requests in the Games Dashboard, where they can manage all their game activity and discover new games.

People who do not play games will only see stories when a particular game is added by a group of friends, instead of ongoing News Feed stories. These dedicated stories will show which friends are playing a game, making it easy to join them. Over the coming months, we plan to launch additional features that provide improved and personalized social games and News Feed experiences. Happy gaming!
failures art

Sat 25 Sep, 2010 02:37 am
I guess the A2K and FB worlds have made me ignorant of the fact that Montana doesn't post here anymore. I interact with her rather frequently on FB, so I didn't even realize she wasn't here.

I don't think I know about this "fount" episode, but it doesn't sound very pleasant.

A
R
T
Intrepid

Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:02 am
@Montana,
Understood. It is always a good thing to read your posts both here and on Facebook and it is good that the games are there for you and those who enjoy them. It is also good that there is a function for those of us who do not enjoy the games to not have to have a page filled with game stuff.

I hope you are getting your painting done. Smile

We gotta get you a man in your life. Wink
Intrepid

Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:04 am
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

where I was playing with myself Wink

See last line above. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:44 pm
@JPB,
<waving right back> Hoping all is awesome in your world these days JPB Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
I see and feel the changes they've made and I'm not crazy about them. I thought the way they had things set up before were good. Now my bookmarks keep changing places and I miss a lot of stuff through my news feeds.
Ah well, I imagine I'll get use to it in time and once I do, they'll change everything again, lol.
Thanks for the info hun Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Sat 2 Oct, 2010 04:49 pm
@failures art,
Love keeping up with all your adventures on FB and very happy to have you there Smile
0 Replies