What is the name of the connector between a microbomb calorimeter and the oxygen supply?

astaud3

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 01:17 pm
I have uploaded some photos here:

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee438/astaud3/

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me what the name of this part is and if possible, where to find a replacement. It was the connector between the microbomb calorimeter in my lab and the oxygen tank, but it's not letting oxygen into the bomb anymore. I can't find any information online about it, and I'm pretty sure the company that made the Phillipson microbomb is no longer around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,275 • Replies: 9
No top replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:49 pm
@astaud3,
Looks like a needle valve or a resistance control. Try the engineering drawing on page 176 of the "Handbook of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry: From macromolecules to man", published by Elsevier. Sorry I have no link but it's on Google books. Several manufacturers are mentioned for the entire apparatus. Edit: not sure if this is a dynamic link, if not it should work to see the drawing:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sqZ2p9AzKNIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=Phillipson%20microbomb&f=false
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:58 pm
@High Seas,
It functions as a Bernoulli.
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:12 pm
@farmerman,
Knew you were an expert in geological strata - and you also do nanoparticles?! Anyway that's the link to the book:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/handbooks/15734374
Quote:
Michael Brown, Department of Chemistry, Rhodes University, South Africa
Patrick Gallagher, Departments of Chemistry and Materials Science and Engineering, Columbus, Ohio, USA

This is Volume 5 of a Handbook that has been well-received by the thermal analysis and calorimetry community.... The fifth volume covers recent advances in techniques and applications that complement the earlier volumes....

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:15 pm
it's either a Philbert Flange or a Grapple Grommet, i'm not sure which
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:22 pm
@High Seas,
its a calorimeter , whats the biggie?
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
Well OK, and can you tell the original poster where to get a replacement valve? He promises not to smoke while turning up the oxygen Smile
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:33 pm
@High Seas,
we always made em, chemists should be handy with metal turning and tool making, it gets em outta their damn labs for a few hours.

Hey kid, dont become a chemist youll be sorry.
High Seas

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 04:37 pm
@farmerman,
Not I, don't worry....

Besides, the only 2 guys of the Bernoulli family I ever heard of did statistical distributions. Chemistry was probably done by the cousins across town...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 05:03 pm
Did none of them make pasta sauce?

kidding, riff on Bertolli.
0 Replies