Ladies - question about aging

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:23 am
Hi ya Jes! I think it's awesome that you got rid of stuff you didn't need. I'm so happy for your new cool vibe. You look smashing in pics I've seen on facebook. I hope you can share the process of the surgery sometime. I'd like to know what to expect.
jespah

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:19 am
@Lash,
Actually, I have - send me a PM if you like - I blog about such things but don't want to advertise it here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:21 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Quote:
Yes, Merry, says, we already established that. Except I said it nicer.

Oh, snap!

Merry's a trip. He is multiply be-pierced and be-tatted and also a gent. An interesting combo.
chai2

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:28 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Merry's a trip. He is multiply be-pierced and be-tatted and also a gent. An interesting combo.

Yeah, I love it when someone who looks different (and maybe threatening to others) is more gentile than most folks.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 06:26 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Your comment that in your mind you are still 16 reminds us that age is how you feel about it. When the doctor told my 46 year old self that, hormonally, I was 25, I felt terrific. 25 seemed a good age to linger at.

I didn't notice an immediate change with menopause but changes came about two years later. Just last winter, I put on some weight and thought it was because I drove 140 miles a day, five days/week to get to work, so I was sitting and I dropped the 10 miles of walking/week that I had been doing faithfully for nearly two years. I now drive the distance three days/week and have partially restored the walking regime (now teach four classes, so the demand on my time is greater!) but am not finding the weight is coming off.

Oh, hey, hang in there, the weight will come off. Take care of your knees, they will become even more important. My little dog ran out the door, kept running. Stupid me, I took off running like I was a kid, and that happened 3 times.. We are starting to work out again next week, can't wreck my knee again, walking.. I really hate those extra 7 or so pounds. I used to say to people: You know, it would make me so happy to lose some weight, and just think about it, it's free! And, I'll have more clothes to wear.

I don't remember menopause (that is a blessing we all share) bringing about any changes. Had to watch the anger, goodness knows for what reason. It's good to work around other women our own age during that tortureous thing. I miss the women I knew in Michigan.

Hope your job situation is 100x better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2010 07:24 pm
@jespah,
I love that post, Jes.

I'm (thinking, thinking, almost sixty nine, but reveling at 68). I got away with a lot for quite a while as my hair stayed primarily brown until a year or two ago, with grey streaks, which I like. Now it is still mostly brown but pretty damned drab.

To explain more, I was light on my feet - relative to myself, with life long peripheral vision hoo ha - until eye stuff in 2004, and then I got more awkward in space and still am, though better now.. I've lost some grasp of balance and have saved an article on what to do about it from the New York Times just this week. I'm energized on working on it.

So, up until 2004, I could be taken as young, waltzing around casually, unless someone saw my face/hands.
In the last year or two, the face Shewolf photo'd at the (2007?) Albuquerque a2k meet, the one where my face was a wrinkle map - has become more visibly true and not just to a very good camera. Plus, my bad eye is sort of crumpling, and is no doubt weird to all.

I'm okay with my face, in all its passages.
Pemerson

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, your posts are pretty good too. You are a good sport, very reasonable sort of person. Also funny in your unique sort of way.

I've had fun with my hair over the years. As the white came(40-something) in I would color it the same ash brown of my natural hair, the white hairs came out lighter - voila, streaked hair. Now, the only real white hairs are around my face and the rest is streaked with brown - voila, streaked hair. Beat the system! I don't appreciate it being thinner, though. Nioxin (with tea tree oil) makes good products that get greying hair silkier, soft and shiney. 'specially the hair therapy stuff.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 05:17 pm
@Pemerson,
Thanks, first, Pemerson.

I didn't know about Nioxin, will check it out. I have somewhat avoided tea tree oil, as the tea tree is Leptospermum scoparium, and touching it makes me itch like a madwoman... but I'm not sure about the oil. The tree/shrub doesn't survive here in sandland or I'd still have one, despite the itchyscratch phenomenon.

My hair hadn't gotten thinner until just this year. Aaaaak!! But I've friends who have dealt with that for a long time, so I feel relatively lucky.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
My hair is pretty much white although there must be some brown in the back because it looks dark as it comes forward during washing and the mix of brown on the left side makes for a yellowish tinge. I use a shampoo for grey/white hair about once every other week to keep my hair from yellowing.

Sometimes I think my breasts are like those of Granny, the randy old lady of the Playboy cartoons. Nothing I do seems to pick them up off my waist.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:18 am
@plainoldme,
My girls went south a long time ago.

BBB
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:33 pm
@Lash,
What a bitch Lash, you poor dear.
Lash

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:31 am
@Sglass,
Thank you, darling! I shall hold my dominion regardless of fact and physics!
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 12:48 am
@chai2,
Quote:
what is it about aging that bothers you?

How do you feel the media plays into this?

decrepitude

funeral plan ads on my fave channels
0 Replies