a place of HUMAN SPIRITUALITY

north

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 09:45 pm

A place where are all humans are welcome regardless of religion , race , colour ,creed or region

a place where every country is represented with a shield across the hall with access to their history

where they are all important to the survival of Humanity now and in the future

a good idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 656 • Replies: 9
No top replies

north

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:16 pm

a HALL that is placed in every country world wide where all are welcome and have the common identity that they Human and deserve recognition

thoughts , comments ?

pro , con
Razzleg

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:25 pm
@north,
Where are we going to get the money to build these *expletive deleted*s? i like it, but it doesn't exactly strike one as a sound investment.

...man, it took me a long time to edit the word "************" out of the above statement. i felt like it was a good idea though, more ecumenical.
north

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Where are we going to get the money to build these *expletive deleted*s? i like it, but it doesn't exactly strike one as a sound investment.

in the long run , invaluable

Quote:
...man, it took me a long time to edit the word "************" out of the above statement. i felt like it was a good idea though, more ecumenical.

my thinking is DEVOID OF ANY RELIGION
Razzleg

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 11:51 pm
@north,
You're right, my initial response was flippant. But my real reservations lie in these points:

The term "spirituality" has a religious connotation.

While it might be reasonable to overlook minor differences, it is unlikely to occur on a sufficiently broad scale to make this happen, and from a certain pov, thus impractical.

i don't really see an immediate incentive for establishing, or the costs of building and maintaining , these international institutions
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 12:49 am
@Razzleg,
We could turn the U.N. over to the Unitarian Church. Problem Solved.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 01:32 am
@north,
What does history tell us about the nature of humanity ?

It seems to me that we are basically tribal primates whose instinctive tendencies towards group preservation are amplified by our cognitive abilities and technological artefacts. Western intellectuals like us who consume twenty six times per capita of the earth's resources than the poorest cultures, might use our leisure time romancing about "the brotherhood of man". We set up idealistic institutions like the UN, whose principles immediately fall apart on the ground as self interest groups re-assert themselves in the lobbies.

Realpolitik..."speak softly and carry a big stick"...may be the only way to proceed unless or until such time as technology might hypothetically equalize population size with consumption.
north

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 05:07 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

What does history tell us about the nature of humanity ?

It seems to me that we are basically tribal primates whose instinctive tendencies towards group preservation are amplified by our cognitive abilities and technological artefacts. Western intellectuals like us who consume twenty six times per capita of the earth's resources than the poorest cultures, might use our leisure time romancing about "the brotherhood of man". We set up idealistic institutions like the UN, whose principles immediately fall apart on the ground as self interest groups re-assert themselves in the lobbies.

Realpolitik..."speak softly and carry a big stick"...may be the only way to proceed unless or until such time as technology might hypothetically equalize population size with consumption.

my point is this

in this hall of Humanity ( not a brotherhood persay ) is that this is place of history of Humanity

where we can discover the history of Humanity in depth

and therefore the Human Spirit

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 02:49 pm
@north,
I wish i had some of whatever it is that you've been smoking. The Latin you butchered is per se, not "persay".

If you actually had your Hall of Humanity, what you would discover is what Thomas Hobbes had to say about life in a state of nature: "And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short."

You're livin' in La-la Land, Bubba.
thack45

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 07:23 pm
@Setanta,
Actually @north
Setanta wrote:

I wish i had some of whatever it is that you've been smoking. The Latin you butchered is per se, not "persay".

If you actually had your Hall of Humanity, what you would discover is what Thomas Hobbes had to say about life in a state of nature: "And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short."

You're livin' in La-la Land, Bubba.
However blunt Setanta's delivery may be, his point can not be argued. It is sporting to romantically consider humanity at its best but I do not see a scenario where such a thing could happen. We may - may, be able to agree that a few humans are truly noble. They could form this Hall. But what of all the rest of humanity? How would the overwhelming number of the less-than-nobles respond to this Hall?
0 Replies