Is religion a psychological problem?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 08:35 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

What is your opinion about this matter?

What sort of psychological problem? How would it be problematic?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 09:21 am
@reasoning logic,
Is religion a psychological problem?

You betcha.

BBB
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 10:27 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Would it not be better for mankind as a whole if we could know when we are being delusional?

I am not tring to put anyone or any religion down, I just seem to think that I am able to observe, 'that we are all delusional at times.
This seems to be one of the many stumbling blocks for progression in all aspects of life.

I think the real stumbling block is the illusion of progression. Our experience of sequenced event one after the other make us feel as if we have a linear path through time. This base experience combined with whatever fluxuating good or bad feelings we have along that timeline make us feel as if we have progressed or digressed. Add the tendency to have unatainable ideals of behavior and we have created for ourselves a linear uphill path of 'progression'. However, there still remains the fact even if in trite addage, "Where ever you're at, there you are." Have really really progressed? Our unattanable ideals change as we experience life the reality of our life's path is not one of progression but one of reaching for a goal that has already changed.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 11:03 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

What if we were to start first by asking something like, 'Is believing in something that may not be so a psychological problem?'.

The issue with the OP is essentially what you are asking here Thack. It stems from an essential misunderstaning of psychology. People often assume that just because there are delusional type disorders that all psychology and all mental processes follow suit. People assume that okay delusions are things that people believe that aren't. So if someone believes something that isn't s/he is delusional. This is not the case however.

With regards to delusional disorders: The DSM-IV, "personal beliefs should be evaluated with great respect to complexity of cultural and religious differences since some cultures have widely accepted beliefs that may be considered delusional in other cultures. Specifically, in order to fall under the definition of a "delusion," a belief must be sustained despite what almost everyone else believes, and not be one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith)."
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

So we can see that psychology is defined within the parameters of society and cannot be seperated from it. A person's integral psychological makeup is as much nurture as it is nature. The break in reality is not so much a break from empiricism as it is a break from a normative array of beliefs within the parameter's of a person's sociological makeup.

Also a key misunderstanding here is that the mind works exclusivly from physically emipircal data, which is true in a sense but untrue in the sense from which religion is demonized. A person has a belief system that is always self contradictory in places although to the believer it is not self contradictory.

http://www.cognitivebehavior.com/theory/beliefsystems.html
"What people believe to be true is that which is coherent to their already established cache of truisms. This cache is developed over time and is significantly shaped by the significant people in the environment. Its development is monitored by the rigor with which each new proposition is analyzed in relationship to what already exists.

When something registers as contradictory it creates internal stress, Cognitive Dissonance and can be dealt with in many ways. a person can ditch the belief, a person can modify the belief, a person can compartmentalize a belief. None of these means of menta re-alignment are creating delusions or really any other psychological disorders or are illogical processes. The mind operates on truism not truth.

The notion that physically empirical things are better than non-physically empirical things is a truism in itself. An axiom upon which a moral code is built. It is an ethical morae that itself is not backed up with empirical proof.
Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 01:52 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well if you want my opinion, then "no". But that is all you will get out of me.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:04 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Well if you want my opinion, then "no". But that is all you will get out of me.

Woot! Probably the most intelligent post here. The only ones more intelligent are likely the people who don't post.
Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:50 pm
@GoshisDead,
Yea well an opinion's an opinion. Cannot really say more on opinions as there is usually nothing to talk about. I care about what people "know". That strikes my fancy (or fancies? Oooo I like that.).

I do not particularly like threads involving opinions, because they usually lead nowhere and they are ill-founded. And they're usually not good. Hell even foolish people can have opinions.

To quote a rather reliable source (which will not be named?): "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 02:59 pm
@kuvasz,
In my personal view about this topic, I think kuvasz has it the closest to being true. We don't have a full understanding of our life on this planet, and humans seek answers to that question of "why am I here?"

As long as humans seek answers to that question, religion will be the primary answer for many.

Whether that is right or wrong is a philosophical question.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:34 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Thank you for your reply, I like it when I hear from fellow believers! I did forget to mention what type of religion I was referring to.

Most silly people now days think it is only a myth but I believe you just have to have faith in Gaia.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I may be wrong but I think that we may agree on a answer to the question if whether it is a psychological problem or not. I will give my complete thoughts on it in the near future. Thanks
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:44 pm
@reasoning logic,
Gaia is hardly "a religion". It's a hypothesis about teleological principles operating within systems. Autopoietic (self sustaining) systems have been modelled using "second order cybernetics". There is no requirement to evoke "an intelligence" to account for the hypothesis. It merely requires dropping the concept of "purpose".
thack45

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:45 pm
@GoshisDead,
I certainly agree with your (and Ding's very concise) assesment. The term 'religion' in the thread smelled like a red herring. If you replace this term with a more general one, the question seems to have alot less of a leg to stand on. I may be wrong in my reasoning this out though. I am still learning.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:50 pm
@thack45,
I often wonder, if the red herrings are intentional in all these cases, or if people are basing their real ideas about the OP on false analogies. Either way they can be entertaining to discuss, and make a person pay close attention their rhetoric-o-meter.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:50 pm
@fresco,
Excuse me; "but I can not help that others liked my goddess so much that they used her name to mean other things!
fresco

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 03:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
Right!...let them all be smitten ! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 04:32 pm
@GoshisDead,
"Rhetoric-o-meter". I like that.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2010 04:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

What sort of psychological problem? Dogma!

How would it be problematic? No room for advancements in ethics!

People usually have to die for the advancement in ethics to take place within a religion, and then they still call the old text the word of god and make up excuses for the old behavior of the past instead of saying what it was," ignorance!
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 01:51 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

thack45 wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

What if we were to start first by asking something like, 'Is believing in something that may not be so a psychological problem?'.

The issue with the OP is essentially what you are asking here Thack. It stems from an essential misunderstaning of psychology. People often assume that just because there are delusional type disorders that all psychology and all mental processes follow suit. People assume that okay delusions are things that people believe that aren't. So if someone believes something that isn't s/he is delusional. This is not the case however.

With regards to delusional disorders: The DSM-IV, "personal beliefs should be evaluated with great respect to complexity of cultural and religious differences since some cultures have widely accepted beliefs that may be considered delusional in other cultures. Specifically, in order to fall under the definition of a "delusion," a belief must be sustained despite what almost everyone else believes, and not be one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith)."
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.

So we can see that psychology is defined within the parameters of society and cannot be seperated from it. A person's integral psychological makeup is as much nurture as it is nature. The break in reality is not so much a break from empiricism as it is a break from a normative array of beliefs within the parameter's of a person's sociological makeup.

Also a key misunderstanding here is that the mind works exclusivly from physically emipircal data, which is true in a sense but untrue in the sense from which religion is demonized. A person has a belief system that is always self contradictory in places although to the believer it is not self contradictory.

"What people believe to be true is that which is coherent to their already established cache of truisms. This cache is developed over time and is significantly shaped by the significant people in the environment. Its development is monitored by the rigor with which each new proposition is analyzed in relationship to what already exists.

When something registers as contradictory it creates internal stress, Cognitive Dissonance and can be dealt with in many ways. a person can ditch the belief, a person can modify the belief, a person can compartmentalize a belief. None of these means of menta re-alignment are creating delusions or really any other psychological disorders or are illogical processes. The mind operates on truism not truth.

The notion that physically empirical things are better than non-physically empirical things is a truism in itself. An axiom upon which a moral code is built. It is an ethical morae that itself is not backed up with empirical proof.

So by this defined criteria any thing is logical within relegion If we all agree that it is logical?

To think that woman are property and other men can be property and that child sacrifice is ok would be logical by this criteria as long as we all think it is ok within or religion.
what this means is that anything that we agree together in our religon is pyschological! even if it is drinking poisen Koolaid.

[ "personal beliefs should be evaluated with great respect to complexity of cultural and religious differences since some cultures have widely accepted beliefs that may be considered delusional in other cultures. Specifically, in order to fall under the definition of a "delusion," a belief must be sustained despite what almost everyone else believes, and not be one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith)."]
Ding an Sich

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:01 am
@reasoning logic,
Believers in what? In an opinion?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 10:08 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

thack45 wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:

So by this defined criteria any thing is logical within relegion If we all agree that it is logical?

To think that woman are property and other men can be property and that child sacrifice is ok would be logical by this criteria as long as we all think it is ok within or religion.
what this means is that anything that we agree together in our religon is pyschological! even if it is drinking poisen Koolaid.

[ "personal beliefs should be evaluated with great respect to complexity of cultural and religious differences since some cultures have widely accepted beliefs that may be considered delusional in other cultures. Specifically, in order to fall under the definition of a "delusion," a belief must be sustained despite what almost everyone else believes, and not be one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith)."]

The original question was, [Is religion a psychological problem?]. Your question seems to be, Is religion a moral problem? Plenty of fully functional brains and minds operating 'properly' have owned slaves, sacrificed children, raped, pillaged, plundered, killed etc... Plenty of fully delusional, depressed, schizophrenic, bipolar and other wise defective brains/minds have cured diseases, written classics, helped the needy etc... This is why I posted what I posted to disambiguate ethics from psychology. Trace the operationa definition of psychological disorder and delusion. Delusions are about the mind operating in non-standard ways. Although the boundaries of non-standard may be defined by ethics, the ethical boundaries are arbitrary to the function of the mind.